Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

I'd really like something that makes *time* an important factor. So for some missions it's better to not apply a hohmann transfer and instead use a less efficient but faster transfer orbit. 

Right now it gets boring as every mission is the same.

Some convenience additions I think would be nice to have in base game KSP2:

• When adding a maneuver node near the apoapsis or periapsis, add the option "circularize" to automatically adjust the maneuver time and add the appropriate amount of prograde/retrograde dv.
  • Add "Warp to next vessel maneuver node" from the Tracking station, i.e. using 100,000x time warp.
  • Suicide burn / landing location calculations that are accurate in atmospheres (require atmo analysis using science experiment first?)
  • Automatically levelling landing legs. Allow for some degree of terrain slope while still keeping the landed vessel completely vertical.

The ability to see data from science collections stuff on graphs and whatnot afterwords and store data for later. Then you can run the science stuff that gives actual data and not have to try to watch it in flight. Instead you can turn them on and drop a satellite or object into orbit with all stuff running and go back to the KSP headquarters and look at the data afterwords. This would make it a thousand times easier to look at a planets gravity and atmospheric pressure and whatnot and then make a ship for it. You could easily collect all levels of data in one go. Particularly by dropping into an ocean. Then they could make more on the go science tools if needed to collect all data on a planet.

There should be a special building to go back to and look at the data in various forms. This would make the game much more convenient and make sense as this is what you are supposed to use to collect the data to start with. I would rather look at in game graphs than look at a wiki or outside data.

Plus a library with all the in game formulas and maybe put in more ways with more examples to study. then the game could be expanded more easily and have the info to learn everything needed as time goes on.

These things should be in KSP1 and 2.

Edited by Arugela

On 8/19/2019 at 2:05 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

I agree with you but the problem has mostly always been the steep learning curve.Im really glad I got over it(if not i wouldn't be here :) ) 

DasValdez got me over the learning curve, personally. I'm so happy I did because I actually have a foundational understanding of orbital mechanics now, and it makes IRL rocket launches soooooo much cooler. I'm excited that they are aiming to improve the onboarding experience for new players.

Hopes:

• Better Robotics: I love Squad for Breaking Ground, but robotics are still janky.
  • Less Noodly Rockets: the trailer has me worried about that one.
  • Meaningful Science Progression: I like career mode, I like contracts. It would be great if science played a larger role in unlocking specific parts with more relevant experiments.
  • Real Wheels: wheels that work like real wheels would be nice.
  • Life Support: a stock life support foundation including ISRU, maybe focused around a single resource, but that can be easily modded to be more complex.

It might add a bit of realism to Career Mode if the EVA jetpack wasn't available to start with and had to be unlocked. For example, when you upgrade the building to unlock the ability to EVA, you would only unlock the ability to leave the capsule with a tether.  In the tech tree, there could be a new branch of EVA accessories, such as grab handles, ladders (more varied than KSP 1), tether anchors, robotic work platforms (think a robotic arm you can attach an engineer to for performing repairs ) and a variety of jetpacks. The jetpacks can follow a Mk 1,2,3 style system like the other parts with MK 1 being a glorified can of compressed air that shoots in 6 axes with low thrust and little fuel, up to MK 3 with its "get out and push"/"screw a Minmus lander, I have a jetpack" OP-ness. Inventory item weight could modify jetpack performance (I.E. you can carry anything you want on Gilly, but even the most powerful jetpack would only let you carry 1 or 2 items on Duna). With regards to free monoprop refills, maybe it could be subtracted from the ship's monoprop resource, and if you do not have monoprop on board, tiny single use drop tanks of monoprop specifically for jetpacks could be purchased and carried as an inventory item. If Kerbal Experience is going to be in KSP 2, perhaps pilots could gain the ability to use a jetpack at a lower experience level than the scientists/engineers? Or to go the other way, maybe instead of unlocking via tech tree, the jetpacks could be unlocked corresponding to experience level?

What I would love to see is more realistic environments. Volcanoes, Ice volcanoes, methane lakes, snow, rain, fog, clouds, lightning, auroras, crevasses, city lights and when we build big enough structures, the ability to see those lights from orbit as well. Definitely need top notch graphics and terrains. Tornados and hurricanes too much to ask?  Maybe.. lol.. The ability to recover stages as well please. Thank you :)

3 hours ago, B15hop said:

What I would love to see is more realistic environments. Volcanoes, Ice volcanoes, methane lakes, snow, rain, fog, clouds, lightning, auroras, crevasses, city lights and when we build big enough structures, the ability to see those lights from orbit as well. Definitely need top notch graphics and terrains. Tornados and hurricanes too much to ask?  Maybe.. lol.. The ability to recover stages as well please. Thank you :)

same note but Id like to be able to visit different nebulae, exotic stars like white/brown dwarfs, red giants, pulsars, protoplanetary disks, black holes and all of the like

53 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

same note but Id like to be able to visit different nebulae, exotic stars like white/brown dwarfs, red giants, pulsars, protoplanetary disks, black holes and all of the like

That sounds awesome..

I'm hoping for significantly better probe parts and possibly clever parts (just like how you can set to deploy a parachute at a certain pressure, so you can press the deploy button before you even enter the atmosphere, allowing for unguided recovery).

Wishing for probes like this, that deploy using airbags and petals.13002977105_8f0f0f4b96_b.jpg

Edited by rocketbuilder