Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

I don't care for Interstellar Travel. I want realistic near future scifi. It's interesting enough to land on something hot like venus where you would need advanced tech just to prevent your probe/ship from melting. Or to land on a body like io where there are earthquakes and strange gravitational effects + toxic volcanoes... For me KSP is a world where you can dream what humanity could do in the near future...

On 11/4/2019 at 4:15 AM, fjw said:

I don't care for Interstellar Travel. I want realistic near future scifi. 

The thing about really far out there technologies is that in real life by the time we get to them, they may not even be relevant anymore.

This is a small one, but decals would be awesome. Imagine being able to print the name of your ship on the side of it.

Also massive parts to build massive ships that make massive explosions. That too.

12 hours ago, Fukastu said:

This is a small one, but decals would be awesome. Imagine being able to print the name of your ship on the side of it.

You can have primary and secondary colours. Now if there were a way to print my name on a giant unstable structure...

12 hours ago, Fukastu said:

Also massive parts to build massive ships that make massive explosions. That too.

1000 5m fuel tanks aren't enough?

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

1000 5m fuel tanks aren't enough?

Well, interstellar travel would probably necessitate massive parts. Also, colonies would be pretty big, and so would need a way to launch them into orbit.

And 5m is only for those with Making History, which I am less interested in purchasing now that KSP2 will be here soon. The only thing that really attracts me to Making History is the ability to launch at different sites, but I expect KSP2 will have that feature on a much larger scale, so why bother?

49 minutes ago, evandisoft said:

PROCEDURAL PLANETS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

You're not exploring if you've been there 50 times already.

If the planet is big enough and you land everywhere, you would still be busy discovering new sites.

1 hour ago, Fukastu said:

Well, interstellar travel would probably necessitate massive parts. Also, colonies would be pretty big, and so would need a way to launch them into orbit.

Devs did confirm 2 new big scale parts. So yeah, anticipating big booms.

13 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

If the planet is big enough and you land everywhere, you would still be busy discovering new sites.

Devs did confirm 2 new big scale parts. So yeah, anticipating big booms.

Most important part about exploration is figuring out the challenge of landing on a new planet, a new gravitational/atmospheric/biome/orbit configuration.

It should be the normal circumstance to send probes to a planet to figure these things out prior to landing (you should receive missions for this) rather than looking it up online, or going from memory.

I'd prefer them adding it as a DLC though. I don't want them to delay launch for this.

Also it would be sweet to have a big incentive to go a diffferent path through the tech tree based on the unique system you have to deal with.

Edited by evandisoft

5 hours ago, evandisoft said:

PROCEDURAL PLANETS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

You're not exploring if you've been there 50 times already.

I would like a hand crafted local group of stars so everyone can share a common experience but then outside that group introduce procedural stars to fill out a galaxy :) 

The waiting on kopernicus made me realize something:

I'd really like it if the planetary system is better modifiable. Preferably just by modifying the settings one should be able to modify the orbits (just like crafts). And the ability to change how the system looks should really be readily available to the modding community. Instead of having to use an "always hacky in some way" mod.

1 hour ago, paul23 said:

Instead of having to use an "always hacky in some way" mod.

If I recall correctly, There's A Mod For That (tm). Something about being able to add and remove planets in exactly the same way that Squad would, so not a lot of hackiness there.

Also, the devs have (thankfully) said that KSP2 will be even more open to modding than KSP1. :cool:

Edit: The mod in question is Kopernicus

Edited by Guest
add supplementary information

4 minutes ago, Fukastu said:

If I recall correctly, There's A Mod For That (tm). Something about being able to add and remove planets in exactly the same way that Squad would, so not a lot of hackiness there.

Also, the devs have (thankfully) said that KSP2 will be even more open to modding than KSP1. :cool:

Yeah but that specific modability is important to me. Hell I'd like the ability to start in a procedural system, so that actually the start might be different each time. (And thus contracts consider for world first not "the Mun" but "the closest moon object orbiting the planet that ksp is placed on".)

Even with kopernicus the kerbol system is always what the mod creator has made, I'd love to have a "challenge mode" where you're thrown into some random orbit and have all other planets also in random orbits. So you'd have to think of your own delta-v map for each run.

39 minutes ago, paul23 said:

Hell I'd like the ability to start in a procedural system, so that actually the start might be different each time. (And thus contracts consider for world first not "the Mun" but "the closest moon object orbiting the planet that ksp is placed on".)

Even with kopernicus the kerbol system is always what the mod creator has made, I'd love to have a "challenge mode" where you're thrown into some random orbit and have all other planets also in random orbits. So you'd have to think of your own delta-v map for each run.

Hmm. This does seem theoretically possible, but I have a total of 0 modding experience for KSP. But I doubt KSP2 would add something like that. Just my gut feeling.

My wife thinks the Kerbals are so cute. I like the additions planned so far for KSP2. But the one thing I keep coming back to wanting in KSP 1 is more multi-media bling...

Video cut-scenes of Kerbals doing funny stuff, in game.  Have a "World first" event, that calls for a cut scene!

Have spectacular crash on launch pad, a cut scene replay.

There is so many possibilities to make the game cute and appeal to a wider audience by making bling with videos of kerbals doing funny stuff triggered by in game events.

Edited by fragtzack

On 11/5/2019 at 3:47 PM, Fukastu said:

This is a small one, but decals would be awesome. Imagine being able to print the name of your ship on the side of it

I asked @Snark to ask Star Theory about this in his interview and they answered yes.

I'm on mobile so no link but it's a pretty big thread.

4 hours ago, paul23 said:

I'd really like it if the planetary system is better modifiable.

4 hours ago, Fukastu said:

There's A Mod For That (tm)

Edit: The mod in question is Kopernicus

:mad:

Edited by 5thHorseman

4 hours ago, paul23 said:

Yeah but that specific modability is important to me. Hell I'd like the ability to start in a procedural system, so that actually the start might be different each time. (And thus contracts consider for world first not "the Mun" but "the closest moon object orbiting the planet that ksp is placed on".)

There actually was a mod for that as well, though I think it never was fully completed...

If they build in something like Kopernicus's capabilities it should be possible to do something in KSP2 towards that.

8 hours ago, paul23 said:

I'd really like it if the planetary system is better modifiable.

That's something that we specifically raised with them (from a modder's perspective)-- i.e. the fact that KSP 1 makes it so difficult to mod the solar system that everyone ends up depending on one mod (Kopernicus), wouldn't it be nice if KSP2 wouldn't need a Kopernicus-equivalent and could just rearrange stuff with config?

And they didn't make any specific promise there, but they showed they're definitely aware of the issue and were rather upbeat about it.  That, coupled with some of the config stuff they showed us, leads me to be fairly optimistic that you'll get this wish.  I dunno if it would actually have UI for this stuff, but at the very least I'd expect it to be tweakable via config.

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

There actually was a mod for that as well, though I think it never was fully completed...

I actually worked a bit on such a mod when it was first "started". However this was way before Kopernicus mod was created so the task was more than could be done in spare time.

It's good to hear that this "issue" has raised. (Though randomizing is different from adding planets, the randomizing per save different planets is what I am actually looking forward to). However pardon my arrogance, but I'm nowadays living by "first see then believe". After the diablo 3 fiasco, where I hoped for even more complex character builds and crazier unique abilities from items but got a very bland balanced game, I decided to never pre-order games anymore.. And expect the worst.

11 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I would like a hand crafted local group of stars so everyone can share a common experience but then outside that group introduce procedural stars to fill out a galaxy :) 

If you limit it to far out star systems, then you're doing all that uniqe exploration with far out tech. The most interesting challenges will be novel systems when you are low on tech. 

"Everyone can share a common experience". This is the problem. Because then people just look online to get the answers. They're not really exploring. Also what should be "common" imo is the ability to understand general space exploration. Civ series is a "common experience" even though the default is to use maps that are randomized. 

Like in Civ, you don't have to just use random maps, for example "kerbal classic" "ksp 2" "real solar system". Like in minecraft you could let people choose a seed, and people would be sharing their seeds.

A fresh new experience with each new game, or trying out an interesting map someone has found a seed for or found in a mod.

4 minutes ago, evandisoft said:

If you limit it to far out star systems, then you're doing all that uniqe exploration with far out tech. The most interesting challenges will be novel systems when you are low on tech. 

So play with low tech equipment there...

6 minutes ago, evandisoft said:

"Everyone can share a common experience". This is the problem. Because then people just look online to get the answers. They're not really exploring. Also what should be "common" imo is the ability to understand general space exploration. Civ series is a "common experience" even though the default is to use maps that are randomized. 

I dont see how procedural generated planets fixes this. What "answers"? You put enough dv in a rocket and launch, its not complicated (its only rocket science :P

Also this helps the devs make a predictable campaign to balance.

16 minutes ago, evandisoft said:

Like in Civ, you don't have to just use random maps, for example "kerbal classic" "ksp 2" "real solar system". Like in minecraft you could let people choose a seed, and people would be sharing their seeds.

A fresh new experience with each new game, or trying out an interesting map someone has found a seed for or found in a mod.

I am not opposed to a separate game type that is fully procedural

26 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

So play with low tech equipment there...

Breaks muh immersion.

I dont see how procedural generated planets fixes this. What "answers"? You put enough dv in a rocket and launch, its not complicated (its only rocket science :P

The particular orbit of the planet. Which determines what the craft will need in terms of life support. Also determines how often you get an option for alignment and return trip. Complicated system of moons which leads to novel mission requirements or opportunities.

How high the atmosphere goes. The gravity of the planets/moons. Presense of atmosphere or atmospheric composition (for in-situ considerations). Temperature. (If we start making that matter, which mods may do if they don't). If they design a good tech-tree the choices made in each play through could be really interesting.

All these things should be figured out by missions you are given to place telescopes in orbit and send probes. Rather than probes/telescopes/satellites missions being purely random.  I think scientists should be giving sensible missions to allow you to proceed forward, and even telling you exactly where the science is (rather than missions that say stuff like "return science from orbit of the mun" when no "science" is actually left there)

I am not opposed to a separate game type that is fully procedural

I just want it to be a separate DLC later on and separate game mode. I don't want them delaying the release for this.

Edited by evandisoft

1 minute ago, evandisoft said:

How high the atmosphere goes. The gravity of the planet. Presense of atmosphere or atmospheric composition (for in-situ considerations). Temperature. (If we start making that matter, which mods may do if they don't).

All these things should be figured out by missions placing telescopes in orbit and sending probes. If they design a better tech-tree the choices made in each play through could be really interesting

I can definitely get behind this as I've been begging for science to matter in a way that science should

see:

I feel for newcomers this may be too much but I would be elated to see something like this put into practice