Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

On 11/20/2019 at 11:34 AM, garwel said:

One relatively minor thing that can make life easier for modders and mod users as well as for realism junkies (like myself): use of standardized real-life units in the game. In particular, switch to liters (or cubic meters?) for measuring volume of liquids and, as far as possible, gases and solids, and to joules or kilowatt hours for Electric Charge. It would help balancing parts mods.

For volume, sure, but normally I'd love to see fuel just measured in tons.  It's so annoying trying to figure out how many tons of fuel are in any of the irregularly-shape fuel tanks, and when building rockets it's always tons of fuel vs total tonnage one cares about.  (Well, maybe that's a bit less important now that delta-V is auto-calculated, but still, fuel mass ratio will always be important).

On 11/28/2019 at 10:41 PM, Aperture Science said:
  • Decent aerodynamics

I don't see how they can do without it for long.  I'd be fine with that being a v1.1 fix or something, as fundamentally it's a rocket simulator and not X-Plane, and so it might not be top priority, but I do hope they don't stop where KSP1 did with "almost nearly decent aerodynamics, but not".   

But darn it, they should have a center-of-drag display day 1.  Or, better, a proper aerodynamic center that takes lift and drag into account like it's supposed to. I'd really like to see in the VAB (or whatever) whether my rocket is stable, and how unstable it is.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:49 PM, DStaal said:

It's also right on the boundary of science fiction - we think we can make materials strong enough, but not in the lengths required.  For that matter, an elevator on the Moon or Mars would be much easier (within current materials), and have many of the same benefits.

A space elevator in particular is maybe not the best choice of megastructures, with an orbital ring being easier to build with ordinary materials, and much more useful.  But anything like that could just be a "building" in the new base building mechanic, and fairly simply I'd think, not something you build from parts.  Sounds like a fun DLC.

BTW, you can't build a space elevator on Earths moon, as it would be too long (past the point where Earth's gravity would dominate).  You also can't build one on Mars unless it can somehow dodge Phobos 3 times a day, as it would extend past Phobos's orbit.  It's also not clear that a space elevator would actually work on Earth, even with unobtainium to build it from, as each payload would add some energy to the system (swinging it like a pendulum, bouncing it, and vibrating the cable), because half the energy for GEO must come from lateral acceleration,  and there's not a good way to damp that accumulated energy.  It would just build up until something bad happened.

9 hours ago, Skorj said:

You also can't build one on Mars unless it can somehow dodge Phobos 3 times a day, as it would extend past Phobos's orbit. 

Most of the proposals I've seen get around that by using Phobos to build it in the first place...

20 hours ago, KerBlitz Kerman said:

Oh, and more action groups. There's no reason to not add more, and have them be function layers.

More than that: unify staging and action groups (just two different UI approaches to the same game mechanic), and everything you can do through any part menu you should be able to set as a part of a stage/action group.  I want to be able to set my thrust limiter on all 6 of my engines to 37% as part of a stage, or deflate my heat shield to 63% extension as an action group.  But maybe that's what you meany as "function layers"?  Or maybe you meant something cooler.

37 minutes ago, Skorj said:

More than that: unify staging and action groups (just two different UI approaches to the same game mechanic), and everything you can do through any part menu you should be able to set as a part of a stage/action group.  I want to be able to set my thrust limiter on all 6 of my engines to 37% as part of a stage, or deflate my heat shield to 63% extension as an action group.  But maybe that's what you meany as "function layers"?  Or maybe you meant something cooler.

By function layers, I mean like with a laptop or good TKL/60% keyboard where there is a function button. This button then acts as a shift key for certain buttons, changing there function. We have Ctrl, alt, and shift buttons. By my count that works out to be 40 action groups. Or, you could have the number pad be this, and boost that number to 100. 

However, I do like the idea of pressing a button, which then pulls up a throttle for say your engines. The main reason I suggested what I did is because in the Simpit thread, people could have more hardware action groups, IF there was software side support. 

Edit: besides, I am waiting for KSP 2 build my own simpit, so might as well request politely for better simpit support.

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman

Stock procedural wings or panels which can have curves around an axis of choice. A way to custom design structural parts and engines in a tweakscale/simple rockets manner. 

We all know Kerbal 2 will be better than the rest!

What's the predicted price of Kerbal 2 at launch?

I cannot wait for everything KSP2 has to offer! My specific wishes and hopes are as follows:

Mainly, what I'm hoping for is a unique and powerful base creation interface, because the thing I'm most excited for in KSP2 is gathering resources and using them to build rockets in many locations.

Supposedly, it's also likely to have insanely increased performance and speed, not to mention graphics. I really hope this is true, because if it isn't, I'm probably going to be tearing my hair out at the framerate drops when near a large base.

Another thing I'm really excited for is parts painting, a thing I haven't tested out in KSP mods just yet. I could design my rockets to be any color I need, so they resemble real life rockets, or I could have them be a specific pattern or color to fit their mission flag.

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned or hinted at which I hope will exist is most definitely setting reminders whenever you _____. This blank could be "launch a craft", "finish building a rocket", or "begin landing". You could set reminders like "enable SAS before launching", "don't forget solar panels or ladders", or "unfold the landing legs and activate the landing stage".

Oh, yeah, one last thing: They mentioned increased moddability, so I want Kopernicus, but built in, so planet modding isn't constrained to whatever version Kopernicus is for. Ergo, I can make planets in current versions, even directly after a version change.

Dangit, this post has gotten me so excited for KSP2, I have to convince myself again it doesn't exist yet.

Edited by LittleBitMore
Grammar, and typoes. Probably from me typing fast

I hope they add some programability and logic stuffness.

For a practical example, I'd want to be able to program a rocket to launch, deliver a payload to orbit, and then deorbit itself.

For an impractical example, I'd want to be able to tell the wheels on a car to face forward prograde no matter how sideways it is.

I'd like to see some waypoint / autopilot controls.  Even on one of the YT videos linked earlier commentors mentioned they wanted a way to waypoint drones on the surface of planets to move themselves.

I know for myself I tried launching a bunch of ion powered satellites and the individual burns to get them to their proper orbits was a pain in the rear.  as a suggestion this would work via an autopilot chip that gets added to the craft, you can then use the map to plan burns and actions and simpler autopilot chips would only be able to hold X many future instructions.  So if I wanted to launch a cluster of sattelites I'd just switch to each and give them burn instructions to their proper orbits, then set up the future burns to get them into orbit. Then likely also have some kind of a 'alert completed' task I could add at the end that would ping me in some way and put a notification next to that crafts name in the tracking station.

For rovers this could mean traveling to a different location under their own steam ( presuming they had the power to do so ).  And as a more complex example of what might be possible on the more capable autopilot controls you could set up a simple loop to have a ship go from a mine on a surface up to a station in orbit, deposit goods, and then return.

The main point being that I'd like to be able to pass off tasks I've done a number of times already to an autopilot.  Also I dislike that there's no easy way to plan or notify ( in the stock game ) of burn locations and such.  IF you do a mission to a further out planet you can play that one craft and spend 5 years of time accelerating waiting for that craft to get to its proper burn / orbit.  IT'd be nice to set up the craft to do that itself, or alert when control was needed, so I could continue running my space program with a number of these long missions on the go at once.

IMO this automation would be somewhat critical if you're trying to manage multiple solar systems of ships / colonies/

I wish KSP2 would contain building, in which we could nicely showcase our creations (something like a museum) where we would have aircrafts with opened canopies, plaques where we would write a description of our plane, or rockets suspended horizontally on metal frames. Considering this game will have multiplayer, it would be very nice way of showcasing our creations to other players. 

Also, I hope devs will focus more on performance than graphics. Graphics could be improved over time, performance improvements after release would be much much harder to achieve. 

8 hours ago, MrFancyPL said:

I wish KSP2 would contain building, in which we could nicely showcase our creations (something like a museum) where we would have aircrafts with opened canopies, plaques where we would write a description of our plane, or rockets suspended horizontally on metal frames. Considering this game will have multiplayer, it would be very nice way of showcasing our creations to other players. 

A 3D holographic view of my crafts? Nice.

Something I wish for? Space Program as a Business.

I just read Delta-V by Daniel Suarez, and it makes a massive case for Space Mining, as a Space Priority, rather than colonization. Surviving Mars, admittedly a very different kind of game, makes a strong case that Spaceflight will happen just as soon as someone can figure out how to monetise it in a practical way.

In career mode, you have to be careful not to overuse your funding, but if you could harvest an asteroid... KSP1 has already set up the foundation for that, with the ability to make fuel on some of the places you land. If you can make 'funding' as well, that's gotta be worth a few strategy guides:

Landing on the Mun first gets you funding from the Kerbal Government. Getting funding from selling materials means you don't have to follow their contracts.

8 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Something I wish for? Space Program as a Business.

I just read Delta-V by Daniel Suarez, and it makes a massive case for Space Mining, as a Space Priority, rather than colonization. Surviving Mars, admittedly a very different kind of game, makes a strong case that Spaceflight will happen just as soon as someone can figure out how to monetise it in a practical way.

In career mode, you have to be careful not to overuse your funding, but if you could harvest an asteroid... KSP1 has already set up the foundation for that, with the ability to make fuel on some of the places you land. If you can make 'funding' as well, that's gotta be worth a few strategy guides:

Landing on the Mun first gets you funding from the Kerbal Government. Getting funding from selling materials means you don't have to follow their contracts.

I once asked for something for ultra-advanced KSP players: something to add in rules of economics. 

Too many missions completed? - market for missions falls and you have lower level missions for a while.

Using too many of the same part? - That part rises in price, and has a higher chance to fail, lower g-load resistance and such. This would be due to sloppier production to meet increased usage.

These are but a few examples of what this would entail, however it would clearly be for more advanced players than myself.

Edit: I feel we both are asking for different parts of the same thing: more economic realism.

Edited by KerBlitz Kerman
Forgot to mention why I linked other post.