Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

32 minutes ago, έķ νίĻĻάίή said:

Isn't that the point of struts? I think it is anyways

Well, if I need to make something that is a physical torus, I'd like the part connections to connect, rather than having heavy parts held together by fishing line, creating a weak point and probable point of failure.

You can use docking ports on structure that needs to close a loop in the tree branch... in the editor it will remain disconnected, but it will load docked and form a strong connection.
Just don't abuse it too much because a large number of same-vessel docking can trigger that bug where docking ports are unable to undock.

I'm kind of at that frustrated point with ksp1 that I don't want to play anymore. I hope ksp2 fixes it. I've been taking notes for this list for a while. Hope it doesn't come off too much like a rant with the base thing. I have to start over and it sucks.
I've been searching about some of these but I'm kind of burnt out right now and need to take a break from the game.

Editor:
 - I'd like to be able to build not based on a tree of parts. Actually design and build. Use square and rectangle designs properly.
- It would be great if I could just click the places i want things attached instead of having to manipulate the camera angle to weird angles so that I can line up the connection of this and that part.
- Include measurement and alignment tools.
- Add an option to re-add to symmetry after I click 'remove from symmetry'

Gameplay:
- I want to not load my save and watch the otherwise previously structurally sound and stationary mun base explode before my eyes. I quicksaved at the base, load:: boom. Tried loading persistent save, then flying a ship, landing at the base and as soon as I'm about 100m away, it all just explodes.The base, the rover that was docked at the base. all: boom. I spent like 19 hours on that and I can't make it not explode. Reverted to a save from yesterday, still boom. I loaded quicksaved/loaded multiple times yesterday with no boom. Why's today different? It's literally the same save. On the other hand, watching it all boom is a fun fireworks show. Parts go everywhere, it's kind of impressive.

- controls/keybinding editing in-game without having to exit back to the main menu.

- the robotics/moving parts thing is great, but I can't get anything to work. It works in the editor, then I 'launch to test' and only one side moves, or I move the slider on the left side, the right side moves and the left side doesn't.

- a wind tunnel would be awesome for testing aerodynamics and getting drag statistics back for build design comparisons.

- first person eva/kerbal views would be awesome, especially running around bases and ships.

On 3/31/2020 at 8:56 PM, iNVERTEDpLAZMA said:

Editor:
 - I'd like to be able to build not based on a tree of parts. Actually design and build. Use square and rectangle designs properly.

Unlikely to change I think - there are significant computational advantages to a tree of parts.  However, they may do a much better job of handling edge cases and hiding it.

- It would be great if I could just click the places i want things attached instead of having to manipulate the camera angle to weird angles so that I can line up the connection of this and that part.

I actually think KSP does a decent job on this, most of the time.  As long as there are attach nodes where you want to attach things, of course.  Though I suppose there could be room for improvement.

- Include measurement and alignment tools.

These would be very nice, yes.  There are a few mods that attempt to address this, but having something built in...

- Add an option to re-add to symmetry after I click 'remove from symmetry'

I never really deal with that - but I agree.  (Again, there are mods, but it should be in the base game.)

Gameplay:
- I want to not load my save and watch the otherwise previously structurally sound and stationary mun base explode before my eyes. I quicksaved at the base, load:: boom. Tried loading persistent save, then flying a ship, landing at the base and as soon as I'm about 100m away, it all just explodes.The base, the rover that was docked at the base. all: boom. I spent like 19 hours on that and I can't make it not explode. Reverted to a save from yesterday, still boom. I loaded quicksaved/loaded multiple times yesterday with no boom. Why's today different? It's literally the same save. On the other hand, watching it all boom is a fun fireworks show. Parts go everywhere, it's kind of impressive.

Today's different because the date/time stamp feeding the RNG which is feeding the terrain generation is different...  Looks like they have a solution in KSP2 from the shots we've seen, though it's basically a brute-force workaround: To have everything get built on stilts which deal with the issue.

- controls/keybinding editing in-game without having to exit back to the main menu.

As an owner of a Dovark keyboard... Oh god yes.

- the robotics/moving parts thing is great, but I can't get anything to work. It works in the editor, then I 'launch to test' and only one side moves, or I move the slider on the left side, the right side moves and the left side doesn't.

I've only played with the robotics a bit, but making it easier/more useful would be nice.

- a wind tunnel would be awesome for testing aerodynamics and getting drag statistics back for build design comparisons.

Not something I deal with that often personally - but I can see it'd be useful.  Again, there are mods which attempt at least part of that.

- first person eva/kerbal views would be awesome, especially running around bases and ships.

I don't think I'd use it more than a few minutes personally - but I agreed it'd be fun.

It would be great if I could just click the places i want things attached instead of having to manipulate the camera angle to weird angles so that I can line up the connection of this and that part.

Could you give some examples of games or other software that does this? Because 3d interfaces are usually quite difficult and I've personally found KSP's VAB to be one of the best considering the needs and functions performed.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Could you give some examples of games or other software that does this? Because 3d interfaces are usually quite difficult and I've personally found KSP's VAB to be one of the best considering the needs and functions performed.

I guess what I meant is, consider this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZP5HPAP78

I currently have a "dart" engine 'grabbed'. If I held a button, for example, control, and then i just clicked directly onto the green/black bubble that I wanted it to be attached to. Instead, as I rotate the camera round and move the mouse on, it gets all distracted by the many possibilities. This video example isn't too bad, but with bigger/more complicated designs, it can be really challenging. Not the fun kind of challenging. 

I don't know a lot about how this kind of thing is programmed. I probably don't understand how difficult it is to build something like this, but I've played other, 'build things' games where it's not that difficult.

Things that come to mind are like the 'theme park' games where you build roller coasters, or even the sims, building houses and placing accessories. I haven't actually played the sims in 10 years or so but I don't remember having problems placing objects in ridiculously large houses with lots of crap everywhere.

44 minutes ago, iNVERTEDpLAZMA said:

I guess what I meant is, consider this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZP5HPAP78

I currently have a "dart" engine 'grabbed'. If I held a button, for example, control, and then i just clicked directly onto the green/black bubble that I wanted it to be attached to. Instead, as I rotate the camera round and move the mouse on, it gets all distracted by the many possibilities. This video example isn't too bad, but with bigger/more complicated designs, it can be really challenging. Not the fun kind of challenging. 

I don't know a lot about how this kind of thing is programmed. I probably don't understand how difficult it is to build something like this, but I've played other, 'build things' games where it's not that difficult.

Things that come to mind are like the 'theme park' games where you build roller coasters, or even the sims, building houses and placing accessories. I haven't actually played the sims in 10 years or so but I don't remember having problems placing objects in ridiculously large houses with lots of crap everywhere.

Try holding down Alt to make it only attach to nodes and not surfaces

4 hours ago, iNVERTEDpLAZMA said:

I currently have a "dart" engine 'grabbed'.

4 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Try holding down Alt

Very much this. :)

Also, theme park games have far fewer possibilities than KSP. In a roller coaster game, you're for sure going to want to attach a rail segment in a very specific way to an existing rail segment. In KSP, you actually may have wanted to attach that dart engine on the side of a tank for all it knew. Imagine if the game didn't let you because it thought it knew better?

Alt is a great way to communicate to the game that you want to attach to nodes only.

22 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Try holding down Alt to make it only attach to nodes and not surfaces

Didn't know this was a thing :o
I play mostly on mac, don't have an alt key, but I can figure out which key is the replacement. 

So,

I'll amend my request to say that all key functions being programmable/indicated from the game, not a text file would be nice. and not having to leave game to do it.

Edit:
it's the option key on mac, figured it would be.
Works like a charm. Second thing i've learned recently because I haven't read much of the online instructions but instead just what's in the game. I should probably go do that after all these years =P

Edited by iNVERTEDpLAZMA
additional text

9 hours ago, iNVERTEDpLAZMA said:

I'll amend my request to say that all key functions being programmable/indicated from the game, not a text file would be nice. and not having to leave game to do it.

They are all in the settings, available from the main screen.  Admittedly, that's not quite while *playing*, but just to make sure you knew.  There's a lot of them...

On 4/4/2020 at 7:52 AM, DStaal said:

They are all in the settings, available from the main screen.  Admittedly, that's not quite while *playing*, but just to make sure you knew.  There's a lot of them...

I've looked in settings. Either i'm missing something obscure, or i think you're incorrect. for example, in the settings.cfg file there's configuration for UIMODE_STAGING, UIMODE_DOCKING mapped to Insert and Delete, respectively.

But nowhere in the game configuration, while at the main menu or with a save loaded can I reconfigure these buttons, among many others as well. 

8 minutes ago, iNVERTEDpLAZMA said:

I've looked in settings. Either i'm missing something obscure, or i think you're incorrect. for example, in the settings.cfg file there's configuration for UIMODE_STAGING, UIMODE_DOCKING mapped to Insert and Delete, respectively.

But nowhere in the game configuration, while at the main menu or with a save loaded can I reconfigure these buttons, among many others as well. 

In @DStaal's defense, UIMODE_DOCKING isn't actually useful, and the only real use for "UIMODE_STAGING" is to get out of UIMODE_DOCKING if you accidentally get into it.

:D

But more seriously, those are extremely rarely used functions. I'm surprised they're not in the settings but I don't think it was a design choice, just nobody noticed. Due to the above joking (but pretty accurate) reason I gave.

I expect KSP2 to have its share of design oversights. As I expect any software to.

So many posts here, not sure if anyone has posted this.
I'm really hoping you can write programs that can be stored in probe cores.  The programs will be carried out regardless of whether you're flying it, another vessel, or at the space center.  They could do things as simple as extending a Comm Antenna once the probe measures a certain level of atmospheric pressure and weight-on-wheels (this would have saved my Eve rover from going AWOL on me) or as complex as guiding a rocket booster to autonomously land itself back on the launch pad (if your programming skills and PC can handles this).  With KSP's simplified physics, I don't think it would be too far fetched to send rovers to the Mun or Duna and have the whole process be automated.  In any case, this would be a really nice way of continuing a mission even in areas of spotty CommNet coverage.

Also, it would be nice to have certain unmanned flights happen in the background (without the need for crazy levels of programming skills).  For example, I've done the flight with my fuel tanker from my Minmus base to my fuel depot at least a dozen times.  I'm sick and tired of it.  It would be nice to set up flights like this to happen on a regular interval and happen in the background.  You could have a "flight-builder" wizard or something similar, where you specify launch conditions and maneuvers to be performed, and so long as the spacecraft meets or exceeds the estimated requirements for the mission, it happens automatically.

P.S. to be clear, the first hope (aka suggestion) would not necessarily have be very complicated, in whatever programming language implemented, the inputs would be things that already exist in the game's code (ship's state vector, mass, pressure, temp, wheel speed/position, etc) and the output would simply be an attitude for the ship to steer, a throttle setting, or an action to be performed.  The complexity would be entirely up to the user.  I realize this would potentially not allow for crazy amounts of time warp, but there are ways around this.  For instance, programs could be required to be written in stages, where each stage has a specified "clock speed" (for lack of a better word".  An unmanned probe during a reentry or launch phase might be running a program that checks the ship's state every 1/10th of a second whereas it might only need to every 1000 seconds in deep space.  For former would not lend itself to time warping whereas the latter would.  What I'm asking for here is already possible for someone who know's how to dig through the game's code and make a program that can interact with KSP--all i'm suggesting is that the game makes it more readily accessible.

To better describe the second idea, think of it as running "on rails" much the way unattended vessels already do.  Just adding a bit more complexity to it. :)

Edited by arthur106
Typo correction and added content for better clarity..i think

As a console gamer I just want some stuff that PC gamers have mods for

• Performance. Especially aerodynamics simulation of a vehicle with lots of parts.
  • Persistent rotation of ships. 
  • Map with cylindric projection with orbits on top. Maybe locked to Kerbal/planets with advanced colonies.
  • Better aerodynamics model. 
  • N-body... ok, one shouldn't wish for too much.
  • Extra difficulty settings like
    • KSC not on equator
    • Stricter heating model
    • Decreased part tolerances
    • Stuff from RO like fuel ullage, ignition limits and non-throtleable engines. In moderation.
    • Rapid unplanned disassembly due to drag. Like when your rocket is flying sideways.
    • Maybe limiting information about bodies until flyby/landing/some scanning

23 hours ago, arthur106 said:

So many posts here, not sure if anyone has posted this.
I'm really hoping you can write programs that can be stored in probe cores.  The programs will be carried out regardless of whether you're flying it, another vessel, or at the space center.  They could do things as simple as extending a Comm Antenna once the probe measures a certain level of atmospheric pressure and weight-on-wheels (this would have saved my Eve rover from going AWOL on me) or as complex as guiding a rocket booster to autonomously land itself back on the launch pad (if your programming skills and PC can handles this).  With KSP's simplified physics, I don't think it would be too far fetched to send rovers to the Mun or Duna and have the whole process be automated.  In any case, this would be a really nice way of continuing a mission even in areas of spotty CommNet coverage.

Also, it would be nice to have certain unmanned flights happen in the background (without the need for crazy levels of programming skills).  For example, I've done the flight with my fuel tanker from my Minmus base to my fuel depot at least a dozen times.  I'm sick and tired of it.  It would be nice to set up flights like this to happen on a regular interval and happen in the background.  You could have a "flight-builder" wizard or something similar, where you specify launch conditions and maneuvers to be performed, and so long as the spacecraft meets or exceeds the estimated requirements for the mission, it happens automatically.

P.S. to be clear, the first hope (aka suggestion) would not necessarily have be very complicated, in whatever programming language implemented, the inputs would be things that already exist in the game's code (ship's state vector, mass, pressure, temp, wheel speed/position, etc) and the output would simply be an attitude for the ship to steer, a throttle setting, or an action to be performed.  The complexity would be entirely up to the user.  I realize this would potentially not allow for crazy amounts of time warp, but there are ways around this.  For instance, programs could be required to be written in stages, where each stage has a specified "clock speed" (for lack of a better word".  An unmanned probe during a reentry or launch phase might be running a program that checks the ship's state every 1/10th of a second whereas it might only need to every 1000 seconds in deep space.  For former would not lend itself to time warping whereas the latter would.  What I'm asking for here is already possible for someone who know's how to dig through the game's code and make a program that can interact with KSP--all i'm suggesting is that the game makes it more readily accessible.

To better describe the second idea, think of it as running "on rails" much the way unattended vessels already do.  Just adding a bit more complexity to it. :)

I'd like to see something like this as well, along the lines of KOS. But a visual programming language would be nice as well (and console friendly) similar to simple rockets 2.

Spoiler

z8kerle6dy741.png

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

I'd like to see something like this as well, along the lines of KOS. But a visual programming language would be nice as well (and console friendly) similar to simple rockets 2.

Hide contents

z8kerle6dy741.png

Woah, I was totally unaware of KOS's existence.  This looks amazing!  My dreams came true!! lol

20 hours ago, arthur106 said:

Woah, I was totally unaware of KOS's existence.  This looks amazing!  My dreams came true!! lol

That's not KOS, that's the language in Simple Rockets 2, I believe.

(And I'm fully on board with having some type of programming script built in.  I don't think it would make sense to work in the background on vessels out of the current physics bubble, as that would take a major restructure of some basic assumptions about the game - but I could be wrong, especially depending on how they've implemented multiplayer.)

7 minutes ago, DStaal said:

That's not KOS, that's the language in Simple Rockets 2, I believe.

(And I'm fully on board with having some type of programming script built in.  I don't think it would make sense to work in the background on vessels out of the current physics bubble, as that would take a major restructure of some basic assumptions about the game - but I could be wrong, especially depending on how they've implemented multiplayer.)

Out of focus acceleration, I believe, was confirmed and aside from staging flying in space shouldn't care much about rigid body dynamics as there aren't many things causing stress on the ship. I wouldn't be mad if RBD were disregarded to allow a feature like this

54 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Out of focus acceleration, I believe, was confirmed and aside from staging flying in space shouldn't care much about rigid body dynamics as there aren't many things causing stress on the ship. I wouldn't be mad if RBD were disregarded to allow a feature like this

I don't recall anything about out of focus acceleration - there was talk about acceleration under time-warp, but that's not the same thing.