Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

On 6/29/2020 at 5:52 PM, king of nowhere said:

i hope it has better tutorials and in-game references.

really. i had to join this forum to learn some basic aspects of the game. and i don't mean "learn this pro trick"; i am into rocket science and i already read a lot on the topic and was quite knowledgeable before starting the game. no, i mean "i want to do this easy thing, but i cannot figure out the commands". like, for example, the first time i tried to install a docking port, it didn't work because i installed it backwards. how would i know? they don't look so different, and the most similar parts (decouplers) work correctly on both faces.

Yes the tutorials are ok but their not the best I hope they are better in KSP2 

13 hours ago, fizy45 said:

Also if they can make docking little bit easier (not rendezvous thats kinda easy) will be great. I dont know you guys but I am having trouble in that area luckly we have mechjeb.

i am horribly conflicted here.

on one hand, i like this game specifically because it is gritty rocket science. you don't go around doing "cool" things while the science gets handwaved, you have to take care of orbital mechanics, fuel budget, and all the really complex stuff. that includes docking: it's hard, gritty rocket science, and it should not be handwaved.

on the other hand, after i run dozens upon dozens of them in only a few weeks of playing, it's mostly a bother.

so, perhaps something in-between. perhaps you have to do docking manually the first time, but you can get it automated eventually. perhaps it can be added to the manuevers that high level pilots can do. perhaps your ship will have a "manueverability" factor keeping into account how easily it can be turned around with reaction wheels, how large it is, stuff like that, and if the parameter is below a certain level (easy docking) the docking is done routinely, subtracting a smidgen of fuel. so the human would only have to do the challenging ones

4 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

i am horribly conflicted here.

on one hand, i like this game specifically because it is gritty rocket science. you don't go around doing "cool" things while the science gets handwaved, you have to take care of orbital mechanics, fuel budget, and all the really complex stuff. that includes docking: it's hard, gritty rocket science, and it should not be handwaved.

on the other hand, after i run dozens upon dozens of them in only a few weeks of playing, it's mostly a bother.

so, perhaps something in-between. perhaps you have to do docking manually the first time, but you can get it automated eventually. perhaps it can be added to the manuevers that high level pilots can do. perhaps your ship will have a "manueverability" factor keeping into account how easily it can be turned around with reaction wheels, how large it is, stuff like that, and if the parameter is below a certain level (easy docking) the docking is done routinely, subtracting a smidgen of fuel. so the human would only have to do the challenging ones

Yeah manuel first then maybe assisted docking later on good idea...

Edited by fizy45

13 hours ago, fizy45 said:

Also if they can make docking little bit easier (not rendezvous thats kinda easy) will be great. I dont know you guys but I am having trouble in that area luckly we have mechjeb.

Everything is 'easy' if you get it right.  And it gets easier with practice.

Docking is, by it's very nature, a delicate process and in KSP is already more 'tolerant' than IRL.  What the game needs to do IMHO is not really make it 'easier' as such, but provide better assistance like docking cameras and alignment indicators (see the online ISS docking simulator).

Automation as an option?  I am certainly not against the idea, but I think you should at least need to get it set up sensibly well before it can activate.  Within a set distance and angle, pointing in the right general direction, and at a suitably slow closing speed etc.

45 minutes ago, Jurassic kerbal said:

Yes manually or automated docking Would be fun especially for people oh find docking hard or cannot be bother to dock.

I think a good compromise would be to have pilots level up to be able to dock.  That way if the player can't do it, eventually they'll get a pilot that can.

On 6/26/2020 at 11:54 PM, Barrackar said:

I hope KSP2 focuses on colonization, and establishing supply routes, as a central mechanic to differentiate it from KSP1. What I mean by supply route is if you design a rocket or spaceplane to reach a certain destination and deliver a certain payload then a station/colony at that location will then have access to those resources according to a cost/time or rate performance of your delivery. If your ship is inefficient and only delivers a small payload of fuel/resource then the colony only has a small rate of that fuel/resource available for building/launching from that colony. The player doesn't have to repeat or autopilot another ship to repeat the delivery - the route has been established. Supply routes might require a round-trip or benefit from demonstrating a round-trip journey.

Colonies I expect will require deliveries of at least (1) fuel(s); (2) building/construction materials; (3) passengers; (4) life support --- at least until the colony is self-sustaining and can generate these resources on their own. Creating self-sustaining colonies on other planetary bodies should be a key goal of gameplay and involve different design challenges for navigating the different 

This is pretty accurate! I'd only add that you can use delivery routes to automate resource collection missions, as well.

29 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

This is pretty accurate! I'd only add that you can use delivery routes to automate resource collection missions, as well.

This confirmation is huge! Thanks for clarifying months of speculation!

2 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

So theoretically we could set up a delivery route to regularly collect Helium-3 from Jool and deliver it to Kerbin to power our next-genereration interstellar craft.

3 hours ago, prestja said:

So theoretically we could set up a delivery route to regularly collect Helium-3 from Jool and deliver it to Kerbin to power our next-genereration interstellar craft.

Unless KSP2 goes more into the weeds than KSP1, I'd expect it to be a generic "ore" and not Helium-3 specifically.  I suspect the specific types of engines we've heard about are short-hand for the basis of what may actually become less specific in the game - like how KSP1 has "liquid fuel" as a catch all for RP1, hydrogen and maybe methane.

7 minutes ago, prestja said:

Perhaps, although we've already been shown uranium as a non-generic resource in KSP.

That's a good point.  So I'm probably wrong, but that could be a placeholder so they don't need to worry about uranium's real density in the final game.  If they go the other way and get specific on the fuels, will we see a break-down in things like Liquid Fuel to specific fuels for specific rocket types?  I sort of hope not (or at least save that for "hard mode").

Edited by Soda Popinski

Sort and group in Astronaut  Complex.

Sort by Pilot/Scientist/Engineer/Experience

Ability to make a Group/Crew choosing Pilots/Scientist/Engineer for missions/ships/planes

I have saved 23+ Kerbals from space.

I would like to group them, so I can train them equally.

Teams taking turns on mission.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:22 AM, Nate Simpson said:

I love this idea but I'd be curious how the game design works for this when docking is possible.

Imagine going from easy to launch from planet to very very far away (delta-v wise) location. You build the tiniest SSTO possible that reaches orbit with ~0 delta-v docks with a fuel depot and refuels then goes on to the distant location. "look how efficiently I delivered X tons of cargo on this supply route?", well what about the tons of rocketry needed to refuel the fuel depot. Similarly you could even get your vacuum engines from "the depot" too.

So perhaps the game rule doesn't care how efficiently you deliver cargo? Or maybe you don't demonstrate a supply route if your craft docks with a separate launch during the mission but that seems really arbitrary and frustrating.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:00 PM, Lewie said:

Shadow zone posted an interview he did with Nate Simpson and he described that colony building would be like the VAB but it would be on the planet/moon. Does that help at all?

Yes.

I don't know whether or not this has been said before - it may have been, but I'll throw it out here anyways.

I really hope KSP 2 retains the fun, somewhat-goofy, Kerbal-esque vibe the first one has. One major component of this was KSP's boundless capacity for absurd contraptions, whether it be in scale, purpose, or design. This is why I really disapprove of the "hard limits" the KSP 2 devs hinted at for the VAB. As Shadow Zone said before, it really would take out a great deal of fun. Such limits could perhaps be removed by mods, but I really don't want them in the stock game in the first place, personally. 

My largest hope is that such decision is reversed, making projects such as Stratzenblitz's stock monorail or SWDennis's works possible in KSP 2. 

22 hours ago, Arkenar said:

This is why I really disapprove of the "hard limits" the KSP 2 devs hinted at for the VAB.

That's is most likely a misunderstanding started by the fact that there will be single engines bigger than the VAB itself.

vF5dkP8RyVQonQAqmYLCYQ.jpg

On 6/30/2020 at 1:26 PM, fizy45 said:

Yeah manuel first then maybe assisted docking later on good idea...

May I suggest the mod docking port alignment indicator?

Docking Port Alignment Indicator on SpaceDock

I used to play on console, so it was 100% vanilla. When I switched to pc, I thought I would give this mod a try. Trust me, this thing is a life saver.
On 7/6/2020 at 4:50 PM, Arkenar said:

I don't know whether or not this has been said before - it may have been, but I'll throw it out here anyways.

I really hope KSP 2 retains the fun, somewhat-goofy, Kerbal-esque vibe the first one has. One major component of this was KSP's boundless capacity for absurd contraptions, whether it be in scale, purpose, or design. This is why I really disapprove of the "hard limits" the KSP 2 devs hinted at for the VAB. As Shadow Zone said before, it really would take out a great deal of fun. Such limits could perhaps be removed by mods, but I really don't want them in the stock game in the first place, personally. 

My largest hope is that such decision is reversed, making projects such as Stratzenblitz's stock monorail or SWDennis's works possible in KSP 2. 

how about an orion drive powered mono rail? :wink: