Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

49 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Intriguing findings about KSP2 trailer and (sorta) teasing (tryna' make it MORE fun).

Hey, just letting ya know but when you use the @ symbol, people will get notified. I get tons of notifications all the time and so does Matt Lowne and other developers. I think your post is nice and it has some good value to it but make sure you control your pinging :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ideas I had:

• Landing Craters
    • When landing on a world with a dusty or powdery  surface, or anywhere if you crash, it makes an indent and texture that sticks around (unless the surface weather makes it go away). Instead of having to store surface deformations, each are just model objects that are seeded by the event. The model objects themselves are stored similarly to plants and other surface objects, so that they can be unloaded and reloaded easily with the rest of the surface seed.
  • Thin Ice
    • Not sure how to implement it, but I think it would be a delightfully sadistic kaizo-sort of implement to manage landing on an ice world, only to unluckily land in the one place where there's thin ice and your vessel sinks in liquid unless it was made buoyant. Or icebergs that can flip over.
  • Programmable Thrust Profiles for Solid Fuel boosters
    • Like real life. They can't be throttled, but their thrust changes according to a pre-programmed shape. More complex thrust control makes the booster more expensive.
  • Ice Giant Buoyancy Zones
    • Planets like Neptune and Uranus likely have gas layers where the pressure, temperature and gravity all make balloon buoyancy feasible for vessels that would be a mixture of spaceplanes, submarines and zeppelins. Bases could be set up here to mine for gasses, or explore the deeper regions using submersibles or perhaps even rovers to access their highly intensified liquid/solid surfaces, several hundred kms down.
  • Space Automatons
    • Inspired by the AREE project by NASA, a person can trade control-ability and versatility of a vessel for extremely high resilience, because it's clockwork or mechanical logic, instead of electrical. Because it's a purely mechanical system, it trades communication and control for insane levels of ruggedness, temperature resilience, radiation-hardness and invulnerability to pressure.
    • An example of this, would be AREE directly: a rover that can't talk, and can't be re-instructed of where to go. It just dithers around as long as it has power. It can collect basic science data, move, and maybe have a passive signal reflector of some kind.
    • Actual electrics like computers and batteries are an option to complement, but they are extremely simple and cumbersome.
  • Test Tank
    • It was mentioned in a podcast recently that they may resize the pool at the KSC. I think the pool would be a great way to do limited-scope environmental testing. "I want to land on Vall but I don't know if my vessel can do it!" Well we stick a scale model in the tank, have flavor text saying that the vessel and tank have had their physical properties scaled to mirror the environment (with jell-o and lead weights or whatever). The vessel starts attached with cabled hoists above the pool, and 'go!' see if you can maneuver in the tank.
    • It's not the same as actually being there. It's a limited analogue, but that's the point. The point of testing is not certainty of the design, but enough assurance to make it worth trying. And also to shakedown, and catch basic things, like crew access or landing legs being long enough.
      • It's weaksauce to say in the game that you're doing a computer simulation of such testing.
      • Such ridiculousness is much more thingy and material in a silly way, which makes it more appropriate as a kerbal solution.
      • Imagine doing this kind of thing, but with actual vessels with firing engines:NASA tests Artemis spacesuits underwater for possible moon landing -  Business Insider
Edited by starcaptain

On 10/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

18. Lithobraking near you in 2020 (release date is Fall 2021)

The trailer was released when the game was originally intended to release in spring 2020. Of course, plans changed and it was delayed to 2021 and now 2022.

On 10/19/2020 at 7:47 PM, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

19. Build, Fly, Dream (wasn't that for KSP1) ??? 

The KSP 2 trailer was inspired by the fan-made Build, Fly, Dream trailer for KSP 1. 

1. kerbal attachment system and inventory in the game. (probably goes without saying, but here it is)

2. More robotics, like a rail that can be piled on for your custom length, so we can build a gantry/crane or lift for our kerbonauts. (also less week or floppy robotic parts)

3. Difficult terrain (a little bit like mudrunner)

4. square parts!!!

5. Maybe a ship for more hardcore player so you have to go pick up your returned lander/ship/capsule. some autopilot so we don't have to spend 10 hours just to transport the ship over the ocean.

6. Hardcore mode with food and maybe some other resources. a couple of ice blocks floating around in space to take advantage of.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, Casper_83 said:

1. kerbal attachment system and inventory in the game. (probably goes without saying, but here it is)

2. More robotics, like a rail that can be piled on for your custom length, so we can build a gantry/crane or lift for our kerbonauts. (also less week or floppy robotic parts)

3. Difficult terrain (a little bit like mudrunner)

4. square parts!!!

5. Maybe a ship for more hardcore player so you have to go pick up your returned lander/ship/capsule. some autopilot so we don't have to spend 10 hours just to transport the ship over the ocean.

6. Hardcore mode with food and maybe some other resources. a couple of ice blocks floating around in space to take advantage of.

A munrunner-esque rover experience needs only depend on: improved suspension and wheel-ground interactions, and more interesting kinds of groundscatter, both of which i think are barreling towards us.

To build ships we only really need two parts: a water propeller (or a jet); a device designed to generate thrust when immersed in liquid, and a hull. Making a variety of hull-like parts sounds like more of a gameplay design decision rather than any heavy load to the people modelling parts and stuff.

• Also nitpick related to travelling in water: exclusion of water volumes inside of buoyant objects is probably going to be another one of those details that sounds easy to do but is really hard to implement and will probably be ignored in KSP2.

On 11/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, starcaptain said:

• Test Tank
    • It was mentioned in a podcast recently that they may resize the pool at the KSC. I think the pool would be a great way to do limited-scope environmental testing. "I want to land on Vall but I don't know if my vessel can do it!" Well we stick a scale model in the tank, have flavor text saying that the vessel and tank have had their physical properties scaled to mirror the environment (with jell-o and lead weights or whatever). The vessel starts attached with cabled hoists above the pool, and 'go!' see if you can maneuver in the tank.
    • It's not the same as actually being there. It's a limited analogue, but that's the point. The point of testing is not certainty of the design, but enough assurance to make it worth trying. And also to shakedown, and catch basic things, like crew access or landing legs being long enough.
      • It's weaksauce to say in the game that you're doing a computer simulation of such testing.
      • Such ridiculousness is much more thingy and material in a silly way, which makes it more appropriate as a kerbal solution.
      • Imagine doing this kind of thing, but with actual vessels with firing engines:

I like this idea. It has real-life precedent for "practicing" EVAs, and testing equipment.

marsyard2_panorama.jpg

A way to configure an area to simulate known conditions on a planet, for rovers, and landers, suspended by ropes for low-g simulation.

1-eva_trainin1.jpg

Training to test assembly techniques for bases- probably won't be for rock-sampling techniques ( :) ) , but for assembling bases. I'm willing to bet that there will be an equivalent of KIS/KAS modular assembled bases for early stages of colonization or habitation between transfer windows, and I always test building them out by the KSC monolith.

1000w_q95.jpg

And finally- a big swimming pool (admin pool expansion hinted at?) for practicing EVA navigation of orbital craft and stations.

On 11/9/2020 at 9:33 PM, starcaptain said:

A munrunner-esque rover experience needs only depend on: improved suspension and wheel-ground interactions, and more interesting kinds of groundscatter, both of which i think are barreling towards us.

To build ships we only really need two parts: a water propeller (or a jet); a device designed to generate thrust when immersed in liquid, and a hull. Making a variety of hull-like parts sounds like more of a gameplay design decision rather than any heavy load to the people modelling parts and stuff.

• Also nitpick related to travelling in water: exclusion of water volumes inside of buoyant objects is probably going to be another one of those details that sounds easy to do but is really hard to implement and will probably be ignored in KSP2.

1. Sounds good!! :)

2. I not picky, I don't need waves if its to much to ask XD

On 11/9/2020 at 12:33 PM, starcaptain said:

Also nitpick related to travelling in water: exclusion of water volumes inside of buoyant objects is probably going to be another one of those details that sounds easy to do but is really hard to implement and will probably be ignored in KSP2.

6 hours ago, Casper_83 said:

I not picky, I don't need waves if its to much to ask XD

Making good waves is work, but not unreasonable. There are good methods out there. Sea of Thieves is one of the best examples of doing it right, and pretty much everyone's been using the same underlying technique for the past few years. (Look up Jerry Tessendorf's papers if you're interested in details.)

The serious problems start the moment you want anything to interact with water in any way. And I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Intercept to make something that works a little better than current water in KSP, allowing for better boats and planes on floats, but don't expect miracles.

On 11/7/2020 at 11:06 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

The trailer was released when the game was originally intended to release in spring 2020. Of course, plans changed and it was delayed to 2021 and now 2022.

The KSP 2 trailer was inspired by the fan-made Build, Fly, Dream trailer for KSP 1. 

Can they please stop delaying it constantly?

18 minutes ago, qwerbo said:

Can they please stop delaying it constantly?

They really should have never announced a release date. I'm not sure how they were planning to release it in spring this year, considering that it's been delayed to two years later now.

But at the moment, you can either have a rushed game now or a great game later.

I want to have the following colony part categories: 

• Spacecraft : Colony VAB, Colonial Launchpad, Spacecraft Part Warehouse
  • Homes and Houses: Every part that kerbonauts can be in, but that is not wery functional otherwise
  • ISRU and Mining: Drills, Part Factory, ore tank, Ore to building material and ore to fuel converters
  • Refuel Tanks: Tanks that store other resources than ore or colony supplies
  • Building Tanks: Tanks that store colony supplies
  • Electrical: Same as for ships, but could also include reactors
  • Docking: Self-explainatory
  • Communication: Same as for ships, but should also include DSN antennas
  • Decoration and Structural: All non-functional parts
  • Utility: All other parts

On 11/13/2020 at 12:04 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

But at the moment, you can either have a rushed game now or a great game later.

I can’t tell you how badly I want KSP2 to be awesome and successful... but your “either-or” statement  is not a truthful statement... so many delayed games have turned out to be garbage for some reason or another, and some games that have kept to the publicized release data end up good... granted, game delays are becoming expected and the norm, but a delay now does not equal a great game upon release.

14 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

No more uninhabited Kerbin! Cities and houses, where Kerbals can enter and exit.

I agree with this, but I'd add that it really doesn't need to be terribly detailed. I don't need KSP to turn into a complete "Kerbal civilization simulator" with super-detailed mechanics for cities or "civilian" Kerbals. However, having a city or two, and a few other "civilian" points of interest, would go a long way towards making the game's world feel more alive. The emptiness of Kerbin has always been a bit of a let-down, especially if one is focusing on building planes or other planet-bound vehicles rather than just spacecraft. (And even when it comes to spacecraft... who doesn't want to see city lights — from actual, at least somewhat real-feeling cities — glistening on Kerbin's surface as your ship swings around the dark side of the planet?)

Here's a few things I want:

-More parts (engines, fuel tanks, etc.)

-Less Krakens

-Some form of life support/food supply system

-Maybe multiplayer could have 2 modes, one is where you play in separate space agency's, while the other is were you play the same agency's

-Better visuals

-More Utilities (Like KER or KAC)

This is just a list I made in a few minutes, so there's more things I'd want.

5 hours ago, qwerbo said:

I want to have a new scientific area called "Interstellar Space". 

This is a good and interesting point. On a closely related note — in real life, the Voyager probes have just recently passed heliopause and transited into interstellar space, and have sent back some interesting data about this transition, which has challenged some established thinking about what the "edge" of our solar system is like. If semi-realistic interstellar flight is going to be a part of KSP2 I think it would absolutely make sense to also have significant scientific rewards for doing experiments at the edge of interstellar space (kerbolpause?) as well as in interstellar space proper.

I want KSP2 to integrate good mods, or at least the ideas behind them. This already happens in KSP1 (suits, better textures), but it is painfully slow. We still have no clouds in stock KSP 1, and to make KSP 1 look nice, I need so many mods the game becomes barely playable due to performance issues.

On 11/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, infinite_monkey said:

I want KSP2 to integrate good mods, or at least the ideas behind them. This already happens in KSP1 (suits, better textures), but it is painfully slow. We still have no clouds in stock KSP 1, and to make KSP 1 look nice, I need so many mods the game becomes barely playable due to performance issues.

This - Bon Voyage Mod opened up entire gaming loop for me with rovers in KSP. Before that  I couldnt be bothered with rovers except as tool to give kerbals means to explore beyond the landing site and for those contracts which demand report from surface (i play career).

On 10/16/2020 at 3:56 PM, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

-I would've Added Story Mode but i believe that is for KSP3 (hint: developers should add story mode to KSP3)

All I can say is that making another KSP game for the sake of a bigger sequel number is utterly pointless.

• 1 month later...