Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

12 hours ago, InfernoSD said:

How about a planet with giant pits in the surface going through to the core? I can't speak to how realistic that would be, but it would be fun to fly in.  

It would have to be a small planetoid, otherwise it would go into hydrostatic equilibrium and the voids would fill. Everything's a fluid at those scales. But yeah, you could have multi-kilometer wide lava tubes, hollowed out asteroids, massive chasms etc.

What if that big hole in Puf had a huge underwater cave with massive air pockets lit by glowing lava in it somewhere? That'd be a cool easter egg.

Edit: oh and since this is the hopes and wishes thread, I feel like I should express my distaste for the skybox being brown in promotional materials. What's up with all that gas or dust or whatever? Easily customized skyboxes would be a nice touch. There's a (Pood's skyboxes?) mod that blacks out the stars when you're looking at bright things, I think that would be pretty neat to see. Lots more stars, more pinpoint-like and amidst solid black with a just-visible galactic plane would be my ideal skybox.

Edited by Wubslin

I doubt they're going to implement such a thing, but i would really like the Kerbals to feel more ...alive? is that the right word? Maybe when you start up the multiplayer its almost like GTA in a way, you make your own kerbal and you go throught the steps of being a kerbanaut. Maybe you start out as a tourist like in KSP 1, then you go through the KSC training course like the underwater training and centrifuge and stuff like that until your a honorary member of the team! I know this is focused on more outside of the kerbol system, but i'd like there to be more of a "home world" presence on Kerbin. It seems like KSC is all that exists, and it'd be cool if they had their own actual civilization to start out with. Idk, just thought that'd be cool. Also, i hope they actually are up and around doing stuff at the colonies you build instead of just sitting in side their seats inside random buildings like we have in KSP 1 atm. I just want them to feel more alive idk. Thats the only thing i wish for! :P

Automated missions. You are building a craft, launching it, go anywhere or docking it to an existing craft. And after that, you are choosing an option like "create a template mission". And then you can launch the same mission in fully automatic mode (for example to refuel a space station or resupply a colony).

You did it once, so you haven't to do it every week. Routine is killing gameplay KSP is about the challenge, not grinding

Edited by Gr@y

19 minutes ago, Gr@y said:

Automated missions. You are building a craft, launching it, go anywhere or docking it to an existing craft. And after that, you are choosing an option like "create a template mission". And then you can launch the same mission in fully automatic mode (for example to refuel a space station or resupply a colony).

You did it once, so you haven't to do it every week. Routine is killing gameplay KSP is about the challenge, not grinding

There is currently a mod for that, and the devs have stated that in KSP2 you will be able to set up supply routes:)

I'll drop one hope and/or wish here. More of a wish than a hope, I think...

Underwater biomes.

While it's possible to tool around with marine bases, boats, and subs in KSP1, there's really not a whole lot you can do with them. There's nothing particularly interesting underwater, just the same surface as everywhere else, except prettily dappled with sunlight. Subs also require quite a lot of kludging to make them work -- for example the stock prop blades don't work underwater which means you need to roll your own from various aerodynamic surfaces, and you need to get creative with ore tanks to weigh them down sufficiently to be able to dive in the first place. 

Since KSP2 is clearly doing wonderful things with environments, my wish/hope is that this extends to underwater biomes. While the amount of work isn't nonexistent, it's still a relatively manageable investment, even considering the relatively few players who would want to go there. It would be cool though if there are some resources that are more abundant in undersea biomes, or unique science stuff that you can do there, for example, so that there would be an actual reason to go there -- with a few parts that let you design seagoing craft, both surface and sub-surface, without having to kludge so much.

Picture related:

Spoiler

gM66Cj7.jpg

I think I’ve only now realised I’ve been thinking about KSP2 as an overhaul and expansion to KSP1. But no, it’s a different game, with a different focus, and that’s led me to realise that there’ll inevitably be things you can’t do in KSP2 that you can in KSP1. What systems, I wonder, were a good fit for KSP but just have no place in the sequel?

Will the focus on supply lines mean there’s no place for portable & compact ISRU equipment, and so that system would be significantly altered to make permanent resource-gathering installations mandatory to refuel crafts? 

Will the attention to the needs of Kerbals as more than machines mean it’s no longer feasible to send them on one-bal journeys using gravity assists to do a grand tour over several dozen years?

Will the much larger scale of the advanced future tech mean less options for smaller-scale missions with lower mass budgets?

Will the expanded scope of multiple star systems lead to less interesting local planetary surface opera- pffft, yeah, can’t write that one with a straight face. 

Scope reduction musings aside, I very much hope we’ll be able to have overhangs, roofed surfaces, occasional caves, and a camera that doesn’t freak out if you go underneath a static. The worlds themselves in KSP are rather limited in variety not between celestial bodies but within them. Kerbin has the most diverse landscape, but it’s still all either ocean, flats, or varying severity of hills.

Edited by RyanRising

7 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

I think I’ve only now realised I’ve been thinking about KSP2 as an overhaul and expansion to KSP1. But no, it’s a different game, with a different focus, and that’s led me to realise that there’ll inevitably be things you can’t do in KSP2 that you can in KSP1. What systems, I wonder, were a good fit for KSP but just have no place in the sequel?

I disagree with the notion that the shift in focus from exploration to colonization will remove some aspects of gameplay, I think it is more likely that the progression will shift towards different parts of the game.

For your ISRU example, you're probably right that one, mobile, lander won't be able to refuel itself. My prediction is that for basic "Level 1" ISRU (by basic I mean fuel and maybe life support resources) to work, it will require at least smaller surface base, that would probably be temporarily occupied. That base may be able to harvest ice to produce water for electrolysis and consumption it wouldn't be very efficient, but it could fuel up a lander. It wouldn't be till much later that you would be able to produce new parts fo the base using, lets say, level 6 ISRU tech.

13 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I disagree with the notion that the shift in focus from exploration to colonization will remove some aspects of gameplay, I think it is more likely that the progression will shift towards different parts of the game.

For your ISRU example, you're probably right that one, mobile, lander won't be able to refuel itself. My prediction is that for basic "Level 1" ISRU (by basic I mean fuel and maybe life support resources) to work, it will require at least smaller surface base, that would probably be temporarily occupied. That base may be able to harvest ice to produce water for electrolysis and consumption it wouldn't be very efficient, but it could fuel up a lander. It wouldn't be till much later that you would be able to produce new parts fo the base using, lets say, level 6 ISRU tech.

In my opinion, I feel for this to reach full potential the awe of exploration and discovery as a whole will come hand in hand with colonization. The progression would probably take a toll in parts as you said, but also traveling to other planets, and finding new spots in the new systems. Though KSP 2 isn't just some DLC to KSP, It will probably keep the same core elements, but in a newer fashion or with a twist, though I can't be sure.

16 hours ago, Abducted_Cow said:

In my opinion, I feel for this to reach full potential the awe of exploration and discovery as a whole will come hand in hand with colonization. The progression would probably take a toll in parts as you said, but also traveling to other planets, and finding new spots in the new systems. Though KSP 2 isn't just some DLC to KSP, It will probably keep the same core elements, but in a newer fashion or with a twist, though I can't be sure.

I think the emphasis on colonization will come with an improved look at terrain. TBH the current terrain in KSP kind of sucks. You get to a place, glance around, go "Yup, I've seen it all now" and move on. The KSP2 colonies will be important but a new terrain system is required to make them fun and interesting. 

I also hope that KSP2 improves on celestial bodies, such as asteroids having gravity, or dwarf stars, single planets, binary stars, black holes, and quasars. The amount of reveals they have lead me to believe that we will only have a few new solar systems, but personally I'm hoping for a galactic system. Maybe sentient life, or just any life would make the game more fun.

I also feel like a galaxy would make multiplayer more interesting.  If you have to get interstellar travel before interacting with other players, your enjoyment might increase.

Wow, I stopped reading after the first page when I saw it was over 40.

but first, my english isnt very well, google helps a lot. I hope it's understandable. Understand better than I write.

I hope I don't repeat too much. What I would like would be:

- Multiplayer (e.g. starting together as a faction or maybe even in different factions in other systems)

- There is a lot and maybe not possible, but it would be nice to make the exploration more interesting through the possibility of discovering things. (Living beings, caves, anything)

- It would be nice if the level of difficulty wasn't simplified and could be adjusted to realism. (Which is actually already the case in KSP 1). Many wish, rightly, that Mechjeb be integrated. For me it would be fantastic without such an option that one would only have access to such an option very, very late. Instead, an individual hud would be very pleasant. (Example KER, or moving the NAV ball). Of course, measured on the first part, maybe it's
perfect in KSP2. :D

- A story. I would be happy to give you a little adventure story. It doesn't have to be logical, not perfect, but it would be nice.

- Random events would be a welcome change. you could adjust things to break randomly (wear and tear, space junk, metorites). so that you just have to readjust unexpected things from time to time.

- a little more lifesupport. Just makes the game more exciting, but was (partly already mentioned, right?)

- trade - wouldn't it be funny if there would be colonizations that would be independent and with whom one negotiated resources that might be limited or only available on certain planets and the "contractual conditions" extended through sidequests?

edit:

-one thing would also be desirable, but not necessary. if larger stations were accessible

All in all, I would be satisfied with a fresh ksp, as a freshly polished graphic and colonization. With the rest, I just wouldn't need another game for the rest of my days. :D

Have a nice day and stay healthy

Edited by DerZerschneider
forgot a point

13 minutes ago, Kerminator K-100 said:

I think the emphasis on colonization will come with an improved look at terrain. TBH the current terrain in KSP kind of sucks. You get to a place, glance around, go "Yup, I've seen it all now" and move on. The KSP2 colonies will be important but a new terrain system is required to make them fun and interesting. 

I also hope that KSP2 improves on celestial bodies, such as asteroids having gravity, or dwarf stars, single planets, binary stars, black holes, and quasars. The amount of reveals they have lead me to believe that we will only have a few new solar systems, but personally I'm hoping for a galactic system. Maybe sentient life, or just any life would make the game more fun.

I also feel like a galaxy would make multiplayer more interesting.  If you have to get interstellar travel before interacting with other players, your enjoyment might increase.

I agree on the visual improvement part. Keeping the kerbal universe interesting and immersive will keep people wanting to walk around and check the place out. If planets had better and more unique terrain and modes of traversal, I think the game would boost in need for exploration. The planets also can't be uniform through out or the player will get bored quickly and as you said they would've "seen it all now". If the planets have many hotspots with different features scattered about that would probably numb the effect of boredom in already seeing it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I beleive that this one can still make it, even this late in the dev cycle: moar Damage Models. Like what we have for wheels in KSP-1, but also for engines and fuel tanks.

Imagine bent nozzle bells, dented or better ruptured fuel tank skins, exposing balloons inside... Or, even better, subpart separation on destruction due to collision instead of simple "Poof". (Of course that would exclude structurally sound parts like pods, so nothing that would offend ESRB or the like.)

Rocket lands on the bell -- it's bent. Booster hits the core on separation -- the core gets a dent or a rupture and in the worst case starts spewing fire and thrust from a hole... ok, that's maybe too much.

Bent nozzles, pleaze?

I don't know if anyone has said this, but the ability to build the payload and rocket separately. I typically  use variations of 2 - 3 rockets of different size / range to launch everything, just switching out the payload. (I do occasionally switch out the upper / kick stages for longer range. I tend to build smaller things, so NERVE is great for sending 10 tonnes to Duna.)

I know a lot of us want life outside Kerbin. People seem to like friendly sentient aliens, but I really want a pet of some sort. (a dog that follows you around and sniffs out stuff would be an interesting mechanic.) Life of any sort on about 1 planet from every 10 systems would be great, if it was varied enough. A black hole system might be interesting too.  Not sure how you'd simulate that, but please give it a shot, Intercept! You can add content to the game with updates! We don't mind! :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Linky said:

I don't know if anyone has said this, but the ability to build the payload and rocket separately. I typically  use variations of 2 - 3 rockets of different size / range to launch everything, just switching out the payload.

I don't know about whether they'd have this explicitly, but I got the impression (back at PAX West in August 2019, shortly after they made the big announcement) that they were planning on making subassemblies and so forth much more of first-class citizens so that you'd be better able to re-use designs.  Of course a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then, but I suspect that they'll come a lot closer than KSP 1 did to giving you what you want.

In answer to the question, five things I would love to have in KSP2 (not all of which are realistic desires) :

1) Cave systems

2) Ice that floats so you can send a submersible underneath it

3) Great music

4) More variety for atmospheric engines so that large craft don't have to have dozens of engines

5) More variety for tiny size 0 parts

1. Very, very varied means of propulsion from when you start the game up to the antimatter level.
  2. Varied colonies, different types of colonies for different locations and planets.
  3. Great music
  4. Progression slowly, I would like the progression to be time consuming so that I can make the most of each piece.
  5. Different "crazy and normal" places for me to visit.

1) more incentive to have early game/LKO space stations (so, other than science labs, fuelling, and space docks...)

2) slower progression. I don’t want to be interstellar within a month of getting the game lol, I feel that’s just too fast and that we should have to really earn that with lots of time and effort.

3) more reason to have rovers. Perhaps there could be more things to use scanning arms on and there is more reason to use them.

4) scout out an area before you begin building a base there. So probes to scan the surface, look at elevation and ores and biome and stuff like that, as well as rovers that actually explore the area to get an up close view to see if it’s suitable. Then small manned missions to get a legit Kerbal view of everything and see if it’s suitable for a habitat. (Very tedious, but perhaps it could work as a career+ game mode)

5) I hope that the game is still played like “rocket science Lego” where the parts have predetermined measurements and you have to work with what you’ve got (and if you want particular things that aren’t base game, then you’ll just have to clip things and drain tanks etc). I just don’t like the idea of parts where you place it and then you get to device for instance how tall a 2.5m fuel tank is. I like the current system where there are like 10 tanks and you just have to mess around and find out a look and system that suits you.

and finally, I just hope the graphics live up to my expectations after all the footage we’ve seen lol, it looks beautiful so far!!