Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

1 less lag

2 less kraken attacks

3 more performance

4 being able to play on my laptop on more than 10 fps

5 colonies are nice too i guess...

even if it is like ksp 1 but actually optimized i am still very happy

1.) Revised science system that makes discoveries useful, incentivizes probes before manned landers, and acts overall as a useful tool instead of just a a tech tree gimmick.

2.) A focus on the use of telescopes to discover new systems/planets and their characteristics

3.) A compendium of scientific discoveries for each celestial body to fill out

4.) A well thought out logistics system

5.) Beautiful hand crafted vistas to visit and awe players (forests, waterfalls, colored salt flats, lakes, beaches, etc...)

Under assumption that all the core features we expect from KSP and things that were promised from KSP2, such as star systems, colonies, multiplayer are all in, and we're talking about things that would make it extra.

1. Stock robotic parts from day one.
  2. Some way to read and combine inputs from sensors, using output as custom axis. (Be it scripting, gates, or just extending action groups.)
  3. A way to keep more than one ship loaded for a short duration. E.g. for reusable booster recovery. (Tech will have to be solved for MP anyways.)
  4. More and better procedural generation on planets.
  5. Better reasons to build planes, rovers, or even boats for planetary exploration.

In no particular order....

1.  Cave systems and overhangs: If Minecraft can do it, KSP 2 should be able to do it too.

2. Something to actually DO on the planets and moons: Getting science and drilling for fuel is fun, but there should be more activities for the player.

3. Detailed, handcrafted terrain: PQS mods are cool, but they can make a planet super boring.  Hopefully KSP 2 improves this somehow.

4. Underwater topography and biomes: I know it's Kerbal Space Program, not Kerbal Ocean Program. Still, oceans should be more than just "planet filler".

5.  Weather: Wind storms, sand storms, lightning effects...you name it.

Edited by wpetula

On 8/19/2019 at 4:03 PM, Lo var Lachland said:

forests,

Forests would be EPIC! They might slow down the frame rate, but there are ways to optimize scatters, right? Imagine building a base surrounded by huge trees with a gas giant on the horizon....:)

11 hours ago, wpetula said:

Forests would be EPIC! They might slow down the frame rate, but there are ways to optimize scatters, right?

Yeah, there are good ways to handle massive forests without too much cost, but I'm not sure how much of it is viable with Unity. What we've seen of procedural generation looks like it's loosely based on Horizon Zero Dawn approach, and that is the correct way to set up forests in large open world game, but I don't know how well that would scale to full on forests in Unity.

It seems like it should be possible, but it might be a significant tech challenge that Intercept might or might not have the right people and time for. Definitely can hope, though.

I haven't read all 47 pages, so apologies if these have been mentioned already.

• An option to generate a new solar system for each game. Different planets, moons etc. I've mentioned this in another thread, but I don't like knowing exactly how much delta-v is required for everything. I'd like to have to discover it, by sending probes or something. It'd increase the replayability for me.
  • Some way of making better (or cooler) ships, and having them be reusable. I know we can build some pretty cool looking ships at the moment, but it's hard work, and it's a bit cheaty with part clipping etc. Being able to have ships with a bit of character, something like in the spoilers below, would be awesome. Even if they only became available later in the game, that'd be fine.
  • Some sort of career mode or a progression mode. The current career mode isn't great, but the idea of it is good, imo. I don't like having access to everything, or knowing everything about the solar system (or galaxy, or universe, depending on how big KSP2 ends up) straight away.

Spoiler

zteVFj2.png

Spoiler

lexus-spaceship-valerian.jpg

Spoiler

8b457900-ec56-4194-8491-574dcc0e8040-raz

19 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

I haven't read all 47 pages, so apologies if these have been mentioned already.

• An option to generate a new solar system for each game. Different planets, moons etc. I've mentioned this in another thread, but I don't like knowing exactly how much delta-v is required for everything. I'd like to have to discover it, by sending probes or something. It'd increase the replayability for me.
  • Some way of making better (or cooler) ships, and having them be reusable. I know we can build some pretty cool looking ships at the moment, but it's hard work, and it's a bit cheaty with part clipping etc. Being able to have ships with a bit of character, something like in the spoilers below, would be awesome. Even if they only became available later in the game, that'd be fine.
  • Some sort of career mode or a progression mode. The current career mode isn't great, but the idea of it is good, imo. I don't like having access to everything, or knowing everything about the solar system (or galaxy, or universe, depending on how big KSP2 ends up) straight away.
  Hide contents

lexus-spaceship-valerian.jpg

Those are pretty good suggestions, also that second spaceship looks a lot like the Orca from elite dangerous haha

On 2/12/2021 at 7:57 PM, Spaceman.Spiff said:

There is currently a mod for that, and the devs have stated that in KSP2 you will be able to set up supply routes:)

The biggest challenge is making it interplanetary and accounting for the fact planets almost never return to the same configuration.

47 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The biggest challenge is making it interplanetary and accounting for the fact planets almost never return to the same configuration.

These supply missions clearly aren’t going to be following a real trajectory. It will simply look that way. 

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:
3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

These supply missions clearly aren’t going to be following a real trajectory. It will simply look that way. 

I know, but how's the game going to handle a player building a craft with just enough dV to do the most efficient transfer in the nest 200 years?

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

I know, but how's the game going to handle a player building a craft with just enough dV to do the most efficient transfer in the nest 200 years?

My assumption is the  dV doesn’t matter if you have completed the run once.  It just gets hand waved away. 

I want better presentation of launches. In KSP1 your engines fire up with small flames and weak sound, and there's some small gray smoke/steam puffs that fly out the sides of the launch pad - it's underwhelming. I hope KSP2 does a much better job portraying the scale and power of a launch. Huge flames, billowing smoke, loud deep rumbling. I want to be in awe of the work being done of this behemoth I've created as it's trying to get off the ground. I think of the Apollo 11 movie, as they're nearing liftoff the comment is made by the PA that the engines produce however many millions of pounds of thrust upward on a vehicle that weighs close to however many millions of pounds. Millions of pounds! You try benching two plates and think you're a beast, these engines are pushing a millions-of-pounds machine off the ground. KSP2, help me begin to fathom that.

1 hour ago, Ahres said:

I want better presentation of launches. In KSP1 your engines fire up with small flames and weak sound, and there's some small gray smoke/steam puffs that fly out the sides of the launch pad - it's underwhelming. I hope KSP2 does a much better job portraying the scale and power of a launch. Huge flames, billowing smoke, loud deep rumbling. I want to be in awe of the work being done of this behemoth I've created as it's trying to get off the ground. I think of the Apollo 11 movie, as they're nearing liftoff the comment is made by the PA that the engines produce however many millions of pounds of thrust upward on a vehicle that weighs close to however many millions of pounds. Millions of pounds! You try benching two plates and think you're a beast, these engines are pushing a millions-of-pounds machine off the ground. KSP2, help me begin to fathom that.

What we really need is music during ascent and not just when you hit the orbit mark and get the camera change. Maybe that's what that beating drum track in the exhaust plumes show and tell was for...

It will be great to take minimal control over an automatic probe directly from the control room without loading the scene. Just to gather data from sciense equipment, charge capacitors, etc.

I really hope the devs support the console versions.

KSP 1 on the PS4 is laggy and several versions behind the PC (it even lacks access to physical time-warp). KSP 2 should be up to par with the PC version on console.

Edited by wpetula
why not

4 hours ago, wpetula said:

KSP 2 should be up to par with the PC version on console.

For KSP1 that would mean to cut features on the PC version, as an example no way the PS4 can manage physical time-warp.

15 hours ago, Master39 said:

no way the PS4 can manage physical time-warp.

The PS4 can handle and access physical time warp, but only when the player is in an atmosphere. In space, the option for physical time warp disappears.

I want a better optimized game that allows easier IVAs mods. Because I just love flying from cabin.

In regards with Multiplayer, I hope they find a way to make collaborative task, I don't know how they could implement it, but I would if there were certain task that must be done in collaboration. May be even having some sort of roleplaying effect, in which all the players are on the same vessel, and each player uses a different kerbal type (engineer/science/pilot) and each has different task and things to do in flight for a successfull mission.