Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

If they’re bringing near future-sci-fi elements, with interstellar travel, I’d love to see the ship building, and flight dynamics of ksp, but exploration that is “no mans sky”... creating warp drives, and gravity assists with black holes, then landing on the surface of unique, procedurally generated worlds, that are ripe for exploration, and scientific discover... making ansible-like comm networks (like in Enders game), for ftl communications back to kerbin... so many possibilities!!

I really hope we get a larger variety of science experiments.

Really love all the ones @DMagic has brought us (seriously thank you man your mod is great and I refuse to play stock without it) and the new mechanic kerbalism brought to the fold just makes running science even better since it feels more involved yet you can still let it sit.

Now if only revealing science in general would be more applicable, similar to how SCANsat provides resource mining data.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:13 AM, Bingleberry said:

exploration that is “no mans sky”... creating warp drives, and gravity assists with black holes, then landing on the surface of unique, procedurally generated worlds, that are ripe for exploration, and scientific discover... making ansible-like comm networks (like in Enders game), for ftl communications back to kerbin... so many possibilities!!

I'm going to wish for nearly the complete opposite: No Warp Drives,

Ansible communication (signal delay already isn't modelled)... Meh... for gameplay I don't see a problem. If one star system is 5 LY away, it would be a pain if we have to timewarp 5 years to get science and rep (or whatever the KSP 2 analogue is) from that system back home, and it would be a mess to manage multiple star systems like that. Limited comm ranges should result in making use of local probe control points anyway... I'd like probes to be able to execute pre planned maneuvers for the initial probes to new systems though.

Also over reliance on procedural generation is boring, but it can be used to fill in some fine scale details.

On 2/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, Bingleberry said:

If they’re bringing near future-sci-fi elements, with interstellar travel, I’d love to see the ship building, and flight dynamics of ksp, but exploration that is “no mans sky”... creating warp drives, and gravity assists with black holes, then landing on the surface of unique, procedurally generated worlds, that are ripe for exploration, and scientific discover... making ansible-like comm networks (like in Enders game), for ftl communications back to kerbin... so many possibilities!!

5 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Ansible communication (signal delay already isn't modelled)... Meh... for gameplay I don't see a problem. If one star system is 5 LY away, it would be a pain if we have to timewarp 5 years to get science and rep (or whatever the KSP 2 analogue is) from that system back home, and it would be a mess to manage multiple star systems like that. Limited comm ranges should result in making use of local probe control points anyway... I'd like probes to be able to execute pre planned maneuvers for the initial probes to new systems though.

Also over reliance on procedural generation is boring, but it can be used to fill in some fine scale details.

Honestly, I would enjoy a light speed lag in comms if we could have a mechjeb esq maneuver planner put in place, maybe include staging into the planner too even. I think that would really add to the flavor of the game and make planning a bit more involved but fun, especially if this could be run in the background. Would make having a much more expansive space program more feasible. Not to mention this would really make crewed spacecraft more appealing as then on the spot changes to maneuvers would require a kerbal at the helm, but if you want that ability it will cost you adding mass in life support for said kerbal. IMO that's a fair trade off for what is a very powerful ability.

Also, I dont think "5 years" will have the same feel in a game with ships traversing light-years of distances as opposed to KSP 1 being stuck in the Kerbolar system

The retainment of KSP1 stock parts and aesthetics

The retainment of the whimsical nature of kerbals.

Material science (It does not have to go down to the molecular level, having rudimental mechanical stats for the materials utilized on the modules will be ok)

Improved IVA and EVA

Less Potential Krakens

Improved tutorials (e.g the inclusion of spaceplane/airplane construction) 

Improved KSPedia 

Edited by Satellitefanatic
Moar suggestions

On 2/5/2020 at 5:44 AM, KerikBalm said:

Ansible communication (signal delay already isn't modelled)...

what’s the problem with warp drives? They rely on real-world physics, and would allow speedy travel to outer planets... and if there is interstellar travel, it would speed things up a bit.

As for ansible-relays... duh, I know there are no comm delays... but it is a real thing that CAN be modeled... if there are plans for interstellar travel, for the sequel, it seems dumb to have ftl comms, unless you actually implement a system for it

If they deliver exactly what they promised — basically a stabler, more efficient KSP with colonization and interstellar missions — at a high quality and built in moddability, I couldn’t be happier. 

6 minutes ago, Satellitefanatic said:

@BrikoleurDon't forget MULTIPLAYER

Fair.

I don't play multiplayer games but who knows, maybe KSP2 would do it for me. Might be fun to fly some missions with some of you lot!

39 minutes ago, Satellitefanatic said:

Don't forget MULTIPLAYER

I don't know what "BD Armory" is, but frankly, I am scared.

I play (or have played) games such as M$ Flight Simulator, Minecraft[*] and KSP, that are genuinely pacific.  I don't know what "BOGEY!", "CHECK SIX!!" or "EJECT! EJECT!! EJECT!!!" mean, but I do not wish to learn either...

For the same reasons, I do not wish to go interstellar (or use any planet packs).  I've explored pretty much all of stock KSP and have satisfied my constituents that there is no other life out there.

And that is a good thing.

* I know that some will argue with this, but if you lock yourself in at nighttime, feed yourself via farming -- and stay the Hell out of the Netherworld -- Minecraft is very peaceful...

Edited by Hotel26

BD armory is a weapons mod, if BD armory (or any equivalent) is implemented into KSP2, it KSP may Become Kerbal Modern Warfare Simulator, especially with multiplayer.

This also allows for SSTOs armed with Gatling cannons and guided missiles to grief one's precious science stations orbiting (insert celestial body)

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

I don't know what "BD Armory" is, but frankly, I am scared.

I play (or have played) games such as M$ Flight Simulator, Minecraft[*] and KSP, that are genuinely pacific.  I don't know what "BOGEY!", "CHECK SIX!!" or "EJECT! EJECT!! EJECT!!!" mean, but I do not wish to learn either...

For the same reasons, I do not wish to go interstellar (or use any planet packs).  I've explored pretty much all of stock KSP and have satisfied my constituents that there is no other life out there.

And that is a good thing.

* I know that some will argue with this, but if you lock yourself in at nighttime, feed yourself via farming -- and stay the Hell out of the Netherworld -- Minecraft is very peaceful...

Not gunna argue, continue to enjoy stock KSP 1 then I guess, you already have the game you want :P

2 hours ago, Satellitefanatic said:

BD armory is a weapons mod, if BD armory (or any equivalent) is implemented into KSP2, it KSP may Become Kerbal Modern Warfare Simulator, especially with multiplayer.

This also allows for SSTOs armed with Gatling cannons and guided missiles to grief one's precious science stations orbiting (insert celestial body)

It's been confirmed weapons will never enter stock kerbal.

19 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

They rely on somewhat speculative physics, and would allow time travel if they worked...

Time dilation and time travel are two very different things... time dilation is similar to just increasing the in-game time rate. Time travel is largely denied by Einsteinian physics... except for the fact that we can only traverse it in one direction. Not sure why you think warp drives would necessarily cause time travel... unless you’re confusing time dilation, by moving at relativistic speeds, with time travel... again, very different things.

And gravity-based warp drives are undoubtedly science-fiction, but they rely on real-world physics... if the sequel does include interstellar travel, how do you propose traversing light years? I’m only throwing out ideas based on the premise that the sequel will include interstellar travel. And if you say “wormholes,” I might lose it, because that’s MORE speculative.

Edited by Bingleberry

1 hour ago, Bingleberry said:

Time dilation and time travel are two very different things... time dilation is similar to just increasing the in-game time rate. Time travel is largely denied by Einsteinian physics... except for the fact that we can only traverse it in one direction. Not sure why you think warp drives would necessarily cause time travel... unless you’re confusing time dilation, by moving at relativistic speeds, with time travel... again, very different things.

And gravity-based warp drives are undoubtedly science-fiction, but they rely on real-world physics... if the sequel does include interstellar travel, how do you propose traversing light years? I’m only throwing out ideas based on the premise that the sequel will include interstellar travel. And if you say “wormholes,” I might lose it, because that’s MORE speculative.

I confuse nothing of the sort.

http://www.physicsmatt.com/blog/2016/8/25/why-ftl-implies-time-travel

You simply cannot have FTL without also allowing time travel *unless* you throw relativity out the window... the thing is without relativity, FTL doesn't really mean much, since light speed as a "speed limit" (or rather a causality limit) is inherently tied to relativity. So... in any scenario with FTL, you've also got a way to time travel.

More science

Perform actual experiments instead of clicking on sensor buttons (e.g sampling atmospheric pressure at different altitudes in order to map atmospheric pressure), and procedural, condition-dependent science reports.

Also allow for the progression of "quality of life" elements (e.g UI/IVA advancements, EVA suit advancements)

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I confuse nothing of the sort.

http://www.physicsmatt.com/blog/2016/8/25/why-ftl-implies-time-travel

You simply cannot have FTL without also allowing time travel *unless* you throw relativity out the window... the thing is without relativity, FTL doesn't really mean much, since light speed as a "speed limit" (or rather a causality limit) is inherently tied to relativity. So... in any scenario with FTL, you've also got a way to time travel.

Gravity/warp drives don’t move ftl, you’re confusing my ansible idea with a warp drive... warp drives do no move an object faster than light, they “warp”  the gravity field around the craft, so that the craft “surfs” on the gravitation wave... no ftl involved

Edit: it allows relativistic speeds, without the need for chemical thrusters, which would be impossible, because as speed increases, so does mass... whereas a gravity drive is almost a “workaround,” that abides by einsteinian physics.

And again, if the game is going to allow interstellar travel, how are you going to traverse light years without relativistic speeds? Chemical thrusters will NEVER get you there... if interstellar travel is in the next game, science-fiction based thruster MUST exist... there was not a single post a made that I suggested sending a craft ftl, I was merely suggesting comm-relay ideas that would provide for a more fleshed out science/comm loop in a career mode.

Edited by Bingleberry

3 hours ago, Bingleberry said:

gravity-based warp drives are undoubtedly science-fiction, but they rely on real-world physics... 

and a hefty amount of speculative physics...

9 minutes ago, Bingleberry said:

Gravity/warp drives don’t move ftl, you’re confusing my ansible idea with a warp drive... warp drives do no move an object faster than light, they “warp”  the gravity field around the craft, so that the craft “surfs” on the gravitation wave... no ftl involved

Warp drives generally are supposed to be able to allow faster than light travel, even if there is no local FTL. If your warp drive allows you to traverse 1 light year in less than 1 year, it allows for time travel.

if the game is going to allow interstellar travel, how are you going to traverse light years without relativistic speeds? Chemical thrusters will NEVER get you there... if interstellar travel is in the next game, science-fiction based thruster MUST exist...

Yes, and I'm assuming we will get relativistic drives. There's the Orion drive that would allow for a fraction of c IRL, then they already showed some fusion drives, and we may get antimatter drives.

I'm certain that interstellar travel will rely on very high ISP torchship designs that get relativistic velocities in KSP 2... we've seen the drives they've shown which suggest speeds >1% c, and they've already said no warp drive/FTL.

However, @kerikbalm, manned space travel has made it to the moon, and unarmed to the edge of the solar system (in real life)... if the current toolkit of ksp is, largely, based upon real word hardware, and interstellar travel is planned for the sequel, all the drives you listed are technically “speculative,” too, because they are all in a theoretical stage of development... hell, scramjets are barely viable at the moment, but they are in the game