Hopes and Wishes for KSP 2

Elthy

Biggest things for me would be, in no particular order:

- Mac support

- Physics that scale up with new machines. So.. multithreaded physics engine?

- Craft construction that allows circular connections of components (without the use of a zillion struts or auto-struts).

Other things I'd like to see, but aren't showstoppers for me:

- Integrated life support requirements (even if maybe it's optional.. Difficulty level based?)

- A "wind tunnel" to be able to test and display things like Center of Drag and Lift in different orientations, different speeds, different pressures, etc etc.. Basically.. Less trial and error building, more in game tools to let you test before you put it on the runway/launchpad.

Overall, really looking forward to this game! :)

Wondering if FTL travel or near light speed travel mechanics will be addressed in this game since its going interstellar. possible alcubierre drive requiring some exotic matter that has to be hunted down, mined, and transported to build them as incentive to build stellar infrastructure....

Also really curious to see how other solar systems will be handled. How many will there be? will there be a full galaxy? Is there any room for procedural generation? (I hope so, if there can be a stock interstellar neighborhood then have procedurally generated rest of the solar system to a galactic boundary, that would be perfect)

Will we see exotic stars? Can we travel to nebulae or binary systems or dwarf/neutron/pulsar etc.. type stars? will there be black holes maybe? 

I cant wait to see what new things this game brings

Edited by mcwaffles2003

I hope they add life support. It was always odd not have that aspect built in to a game like this. Happy if you could toggle it on or off, but please please add oxygen / food etc. It would be awesome to build this aspect into your colonies and interstellar ships. Stasis could be the answer to long trips.

It’s just everything else is grounded in real physics, so why not the kerbals’ need to breathe and eat!! 

Can’t wait though, good luck StarTheory.

I hope something like kOS will be possible in KSP. Maybe even native?

Also: weather. Wind that prevents launches, but also allows power generation or moving around balloons. Heavy storms that can destroy vessels. Would be extra fun on gas giants. Acid rain that corrodes materials (which implies: parts can fail).

Maybe a more elaborate tech tree/science system. Part testing that makes sense (1. research 2. test 3. unlock for regular use)

On 8/22/2019 at 6:51 PM, Skipperro said:

I hope for Scott Manley voice-over in tutorial :) 

Yes. This is what we need.

I can't wait for that old intro to come back again.

23 hours ago, Teek said:

Similarly: Noodle rockets.  I know we've all seen the gameplay footage, and many are disappointed.  However, I'm hoping that noodle rocket physics are something that can be addressed in game with later tech, and not just struts (although struts, still important and should be in game!)

We're seeing same-vessel interactions, so the reaction force from the the contact is already improving noodle rockets. In normal KSP, they would phase through each other, so you would get even wilder oscillations.

After seeing the KSP2 trailer I crawled outta the rock I was residing under and immediately began convulsing on the ground of sheer excitement only to be hit with the sudden realization - if they're giving us a Project Orion style drive would it be possible at least from an in game physics standpoint to be able to simulate a system similar to a cannon? As in take an Orion Drive, stick it in a barrel alongside a spacecraft, and throw the whole assembly on a solid platform so we can just shoot our stuff into space?

TI;dr I propose that KSP2 just gives us straight up tööbs to mulch send off our involuntarily volunteered test subjects brave kerbonauts to explore the universe through the concentrated power of blam.

that and I want to recreate Stonehenge and blast some asteroids because the space rocks deserve it frankly

14 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

After seeing the KSP2 trailer I crawled outta the rock I was residing under and immediately began convulsing on the ground of sheer excitement only to be hit with the sudden realization - if they're giving us a Project Orion style drive would it be possible at least from an in game physics standpoint to be able to simulate a system similar to a cannon? As in take an Orion Drive, stick it in a barrel alongside a spacecraft, and throw the whole assembly on a solid platform so we can just shoot our stuff into space?

TI;dr I propose that KSP2 just gives us straight up tööbs to mulch send off our involuntarily volunteered test subjects brave kerbonauts to explore the universe through the concentrated power of blam.

that and I want to recreate Stonehenge and blast some asteroids because the space rocks deserve it frankly

Weapons wont be stock in KSP 2, KSP is not about weapons. 

Also, for anyone wondering, he's talking about Stonehenge from Ace Combat 4, not the irl Stonehenge.

Just now, GoldForest said:

Weapons wont be stock in KSP 2, KSP is not about weapons. 

Also, for anyone wondering, he's talking about Stonehenge from Ace Combat 4, not the irl Stonehenge.

Nah I don't mean for military purposes or violence, I mean integration of a way for us to essentially Shoot spacecraft rather then sending them up via rocket. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_gun

Just now, GoldForest said:

Oh, so you're talking about a mass drivers?

If we're being technical - sorta almost kinda not really...

A Mass Driver except instead of using electromagnetic rails to accelerate a payload it's more equivalent to a scaled up old school Musket except instead of gunpowder you have a nuke and instead of a bullet you got a small spacecraft.

13 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

A Mass Driver except instead of using electromagnetic rails to accelerate a payload it's more equivalent to a scaled up old school Musket except instead of gunpowder you have a nuke and instead of a bullet you got a small spacecraft.

Well, that's what the Orion drive is.

2 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Well, that's what the Orion drive is.

The Orion is an engine, and is carried by the spacecraft.

OP wants ground based infrastructure that launches a spacecraft.

It would be interesting, especially with the colonization mechanics, but I'm not sure if it's the right fit for stock. I'd love to see a mod though.

5 minutes ago, TBenz said:

The Orion is an engine, and is carried by the spacecraft.

OP wants ground based infrastructure that launches a spacecraft.

It would be interesting, especially with the colonization mechanics, but I'm not sure if it's the right fit for stock. I'd love to see a mod though.

Oh, okay. Gotcha. 

43 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

Didn't the devs say they will add realistic, physic-ed explosion to fuel tanks?

Mass drivers I can get behind. In fact, with the SF colonization focus, they're kind of an obvious conclusion, what with many classic stories featuring them. Something like Project Babylon... well, I don't think it'd be good for much on Earth, but on Kerbin, it might.

17 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Mass drivers I can get behind. In fact, with the SF colonization focus, they're kind of an obvious conclusion, what with many classic stories featuring them. Something like Project Babylon... well, I don't think it'd be good for much on Earth, but on Kerbin, it might.

Nowadays when someone mentions a Mass Driver, it's one of two things. An electromagnetic runway that ramps up into the sky (For launching SSTO's), or a Space mass driver that propels a craft close to the speed of light. Since Star Theory said no FTL drives, the latter won't happen, but a SSTO runway mass driver would be neat. 
Here's the Ace Combat Mass driver below, which I feel is the best option, a slow sloping runway up to the sky. 

Spoiler

latest?cb=20190323065053

Of course, I feel like it would have to be unlocked, and it would be fairly mid to end game. 

Rather, I think it would be best as the structure for you to build. On the Moon, Heinlein-style, or other planets. On Kerbin, it'd probably be a hard sell due to atmosphere, though something like that could work for giving spaceplanes a kick.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Since Star Theory said no FTL drives, the latter won't happen, 

That doesn't follow. A mass driver has nothing to do with FTL. It has a decent exhaust velocity and is noticeably propellant-flexible, but it's limited by materials and power production, being an electric engine. The proper use of a space mass driver is to propel asteroids by throwing out parts of them that aren't worth refining.

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

Rather, I think it would be best as the structure for you to build. On the Moon, Heinlein-style, or other planets. On Kerbin, it'd probably be a hard sell due to atmosphere, though something like that could work for giving spaceplanes a kick.

That doesn't follow. A mass driver has nothing to do with FTL. It has a decent exhaust velocity and is noticeably propellant-flexible, but it's limited by materials and power production, being an electric engine. The proper use of a space mass driver is to propel asteroids by throwing out parts of them that aren't worth refining.

It is meant for space planes, and the space plane still has engines, the mass driver just propels it up to mach 1 to 3, then the ship uses rockets to get up to higher speeds. 

A mass driver in space is kind of like the warp gates in Mass Effect. They grab a hold of the craft and push it to great speeds in a matter of seconds. Theoretically if you set up multiple gates, it could propel the craft well close to speed of light. And I didn't call the mass driver an FTL drive, I said the devs said no FTL drives, and a orbital mass driver could theoretically get up to 99% of C.