Kerbal Space Program 2 Speculation Thread

NSEP

Just now, ouion said:

just the next gen engine and the realistic look of the whole game. Honestly though i am waiting for KSP 2 to be announced for years 

Personally, I don't feel like that's enough to base a guess on. I don't know any more than you here, but I'm not going to make predictions. :)

I would personally like large planets, I play exclusively on a 10x scale. But, I doubt it because it'll make things much harder just reaching space. If they're adding in intestellar travel you've got vast distances added there, so it would seem to be unlikely they'd increase planet scale as well.

2 minutes ago, Jon Tash said:

Anybody know on what graphics engines they are making KSP 2?

For the best and for the worst, will be Unity. Not a clue about what version.

3 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

unknown.png

So um this could be Rask and Rusk (thanks to JadeOfMaar for pointing this out)

That seems to be it yeah. I wonder what the lava is going to look like on the surface. Also, imagine the orbital mechanics between those two worlds!

16 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Not actual in game footage... or is it?

Peace.

I think the "scripted" actions were what that was referring to, but what we saw is what they want to do... OMG... I was watching youtube on my ps4, and was like "what the hell is this?  Looks like what KSP should have.... wait.. WHAT??????????"

8 hours ago, Dfthu said:

The development trailer said it KSP 1 was current tech and KSP would be near future tech

Nope, it just said KSP2 would add near future tech, not disclude current tech.

8 hours ago, Citizen247 said:

I would personally like large planets, I play exclusively on a 10x scale. But, I doubt it because it'll make things much harder just reaching space. If they're adding in intestellar travel you've got vast distances added there, so it would seem to be unlikely they'd increase planet scale as well.

Interstelar could be done pretty easy reducing the distances, next solar system is 10-20 times distance to eeloo. 
New engines we saw an orion engine and an fusion engine. 

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Not actual in game footage... or is it?

Peace.

It isn't actual gameplay, but it is a render of what it might look like. It looks Hella cool, I always wanted lava worlds.

5 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Interstelar could be done pretty easy reducing the distances, next solar system is 10-20 times distance to eeloo. 
New engines we saw an orion engine and an fusion engine. 

I'm not sure I see the point in increasing the universe scale and decreasing it at the same time. Why not just keep everything at a consistent scale?

5 hours ago, winged said:

I wonder if the game will really allow for the creation of such complex colonies as in the screenshot below. I mean there are thousands of parts here...

ovwkdC4.jpg

I suspect colonies aren't built from parts. The way I'd do it is allow the creation of PQS statics by the player, so rather than slapping down colony parts you "build" a static by gathering local resources and building them on the surface from an editor like interface.

I guess the colonies will be build like the following:

-You will need to send a first vessel that will do the following:Server as a habitad for the first kerbals.Mine resources etc

-after that with the resources the first vessel gathers you will be able of expanding your colony,if they are really going to be as big as shown in the trailer i suspect a new mode that will allow us to build on the spacecraft far from home (Imagine KIS but you don't require kerbals to build it and you don't bring the modules in an inventory like KIS instead once you place it something like a hologram of the part will be there waiting for the requaired resources to be able.

That's just my guess though so it may be completly wrong

25 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

I'm not sure I see the point in increasing the universe scale and decreasing it at the same time. Why not just keep everything at a consistent scale?

I suspect colonies aren't built from parts. The way I'd do it is allow the creation of PQS statics by the player, so rather than slapping down colony parts you "build" a static by gathering local resources and building them on the surface from an editor like interface.

Reason to scale down the interstellar distances is to reduce travel times so they are manageable. 0.4 light-year if we assume 1/10 as today is still very far.
Yes at 1% of light speed its 40 years, however  getting up to 3.000 km/s would be 20 hour at 4 g. 

Decent chance colonies are static yes or at least mostly static, you can always add stuff and might have to in many cases. 

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Reason to scale down the interstellar distances is to reduce travel times so they are manageable. 0.4 light-year if we assume 1/10 as today is still very far.

You get that reduction in a universe that's already scaled to 10% as stock KSP is, was my point. Why scale the universe to a larger size to then scale it back down? It makes more sense to keep the stock scale and distances. That way while reducing travel times you're also keeping the vast difference between interstellar and interplanetary distances intact.

22 minutes ago, Citizen247 said:

You get that reduction in a universe that's already scaled to 10% as stock KSP is, was my point. Why scale the universe to a larger size to then scale it back down? It makes more sense to keep the stock scale and distances. That way while reducing travel times you're also keeping the vast difference between interstellar and interplanetary distances intact.

If we say 2 hour is the longest burn players will bother with and we assume 4g trust or 40m/s^2 you will reach 288 km/s or less than 1/1000 of light speed. 
Travel to closest star will then take 400 year. 

Yes 10-20 times the distance to Eeloo is to short with new engines but 0.4 light year is to far.