Discount for Veteran Players?

So I personally don't think it would be feasible to offer a free copy to veteran players due to KSP2 being a new game being built from the ground up

However, perhaps TT would take this suggestion - offer up a free copy of KSP2 to known modders in the community so as to get a jump start on having mods for the game shortly after KSP2 is released

Having extended modding support built in is one thing but it is useless if modders of KSP (or others) do not want to make the jump for whatever reason

Personally I am hesitant to hop on the hype train as there are too many questions yet to be answered ... season passes to use the multiplayer, restricted access to mods like what happened with the mission builder deal being set up for steam workshop only and other questions come to mind let alone the fact that I'd have to use steam or the microsoft store to purchase KSP2 - this is a major thing for me, I do not like being forced to deal with a specific company for my purchasing of entertainment

Edited by DoctorDavinci

If anything, I almost feel like it should be the reverse.  Veterans should pay full price, and people who got the game in the last year or so get a discount.  Heck, give it out free to anyone who hasn't played the original, get the word out! :lol:

In all seriousness though, we're not going to get a discount on this, at least not anytime soon.  Some may not like the $60 price point, or cannot afford it, which is a shame.  But I agree that in terms of value per $, KSP has been hard to beat.  And, in my mind, what Star Theory seems to be doing here, rebuilding from the ground up with significant features adding on, a lot of work is being put in to justify that cost.

44 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

However, perhaps TT would take this suggestion - offer up a free copy of KSP2 to known modders in the community so as to get a jump start on having mods for the game shortly after KSP2 is released

Having extended modding support built in is one thing but it is useless if modders of KSP (or others) do not want to make the jump for whatever reason

While getting a free copy is hardly something I would dislike :sticktongue:, I have an alternative suggestion: a content stripped early access version where Add'On authors can test and develop the Add'Ons before Release. A planet, a moon, a Sun, a bunch of parts of every type - not necessarily from the main game (could be adapted versions from the KSP1?), KSP 1.0 demo style.

Not sure if this is feasible from the strategic point of view (releasing a pre-production version, where people would add content for free can impair the selling later), but from the tactical point of view, would solve the problem under our noses.

ksp is one of those games where i feel like i owe them money. blow $15 bucks in beta and get 2 dlc packs for free. thats a hard deal to beat.

now if they have a pre order at a discount i might be up for that. 

This is weird for me, bc the games that should give you free DLC dont. KSP however gave us early birds free DLC that most were willing to pay for. This turned into one of the best games I ever played, then at the point you were bored, well modders carried the rest. I donated more money to modders than buying 20 copies of KSP.  I was happy Squad honored us by the free content. Im more than happy to pay full price for a new game, and future DLC (within reason).  So for the Early adopters, it would be nice, to be recognized, for the support in some way.  Im not sure what, but just something simple. Maybe a in game plack or something. Personally, I think most of the modders deserve something, all their time,work, and compassion for the game kept it alive for most. Plus, all the headache of fixing updates. 

Thank You Star Theory(KSP2) and Thank you KSP 1 modders. Ofcourse, Thank You Squad for bringing this to life.

@Alaygrounds If the price is too high for your parents to find acceptable, wait for a sale. Or talk it out, and see if you can do anything to get them to change their mind (like good grades/extra chores and the like). :) There's around 7-9 months at least before it comes out, so you've got time.

Edited by Spaceception

It's possible there would be a small discount (the Football Manager games usually have a 10% discount for owners of the previous year's version) but it's pretty rare for there to be offers like that.

One option, you have a bit of time to save up yourself between now and the release date. If you ask your parents now, they would probably give you opportunities to earn the money.

Edit - And ninja'd while the post sat there by @Spaceception lol. It is a good idea though.

Edited by Jimmidii

If you're old enough, you could always find some menial job opportunities and make some money.  Do kids still mow lawns these days?  I feel like working before your 20 is so last decade.  Maybe I'm wrong.

*goes to sit on his porch and reminisce about the good ol days*

On 8/20/2019 at 6:36 PM, Jebs_SY said:

The only one thing I wouldn't accept is some kind of regular needed in game payment like micro transactions for purchasing rocket parts for a launch.
But I don't think someone would really try that way... at least I hope...

It's not being published by EA so we should be ok.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

While I get we live in a capitalist world, and people need to earn money, Early Adopters were promised "All future Updates would be Free"

Expansion packs / DLC weren't factored into this original statement until later due to uproar of the community. https://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/47730955705/expansions-dlc-and-the-future-of-ksp

I get Squad weren't thinking that far ahead and "All future Updates would be Free" is a bit open ended but...

KSP 2.0 is still an update. It may be a totally redesigned game, but it is still and update from 1.9

39 minutes ago, JayDee3200 said:

While I get we live in a capitalist world, and people need to earn money, Early Adopters were promised "All future Updates would be Free"

Expansion packs / DLC weren't factored into this original statement until later due to uproar of the community. https://kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com/post/47730955705/expansions-dlc-and-the-future-of-ksp

I get Squad weren't thinking that far ahead and "All future Updates would be Free" is a bit open ended but...

KSP 2.0 is still an update. It may be a totally redesigned game, but it is still and update from 1.9

No, it's a different game from a different company which utilizes the same IP.

The "all future updates free" deal was the dumbest move in Squad's history and ruined the game, this is why a completely new game is needed to add big features like colonization, interstellar travel or multiplayer.