KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

So if I get the i5 4690k (Which can be overclocked) (This one seems better than the 4670k, for only a dollar more [Amazon sale] is that correct?) and install it in this motherboard, will it be overclock-able, or does it require something else of the motherboard?

You're better off using a board with a Z97 chipset for easy overclocking. Some B-series boards quietly offer it, but sometimes it's a bit trickier to do so.

It would. That's a bit of a bargain brand board, though, if at all possible in your budget I would climb up a bit from there. Asrock is reasonably good in the lower price brackets, Asus is probably best (though that is debatable) but will cost a bit more.

The i5 4690K and i7 4790K have a slightly better heat spreader design and are therefore a few degrees cooler than the normal ones.

Are you referring to the internal TIM?

It would. That's a bit of a bargain brand board, though, if at all possible in your budget I would climb up a bit from there. Asrock is reasonably good in the lower price brackets, Asus is probably best (though that is debatable) but will cost a bit more.

Asrock provides good hardware, Asus does to. It really is a matter of preference. When all things are equal, going for the cheapest option is fine.

You're better off using a board with a Z97 chipset for easy overclocking. Some B-series boards quietly offer it, but sometimes it's a bit trickier to do so.

Apparently Intel is not too happy that some manufacturers allow overclocking with lower tier boards, so picking up a Z97 is probably your best bet.

Are there any significant downsides to overclocking? My brief Google-ing only uncovered increased heat and power consumption.
A processor that is overclocked too high has a chance of making errors. If one of the calculations involved in something like designing a bridge or calculating a company's accounts gives a wrong value and nobody notices the consequences could be very serious indeed. That's why you don't see overclocking in professional settings.

A processor that is overclocked too high has a chance of making errors. If one of the calculations involved in something like designing a bridge or calculating a company's accounts gives a wrong value and nobody notices the consequences could be very serious indeed. That's why you don't see overclocking in professional settings.

The same errors occur without overclocking, the chances just increase the more you edge closer to the limit. For that exact reason things like ECC memory exist for critical applications :) We will probably see more and more consumer error correction too, as larger datasets simply mean more errors. The new ReFS and ZFS file systems are an example of that.

110, I think, at maximum. So the total is near 300, and the PSU is 500. Should be enough, even if I overclock a bit.

If you overclock, you can only do about 100-200 mhz using stock cooler. Aftermarkets are built for OC'ing

An external drive is probably cheaper and sufficient for backing up a single PC and phone. NAS really comes into its own when sharing the storage pool among multiple devices.

You should make some sort of provision for off-site backup as well if your data is truly valuable to you.

Hi All,

So I read a fair bit of this thread but obviously not all. Right now I'm playing KSP on a Mid-2010 13 Macbook Pro with a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 16gb of 1067 mhz ram, and onboard Geforce 320M 256mb graphics. This is.... non-ideal. Like, 5-part-rockets-yellow-the-timer-on-the-launchpad, kinds of non-ideal. So, I've decided enough is enough and I will break down and build a PC for the first time in about 15 years. I've got the parts picked... I think. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts. I have a spare 1TB WD Caviar drive that I'll slap in for additional storage but I'm hoping to dual boot Linux and Hackintosh OS X Mavericks and possibly triple boot to Windows 7. Anyway, check the specs and see what you think! Love to know if I'm not thinking of something or if I should be changing processors to a more multi-threadable cpu with Unity 5 on the way...? I heard contradictory info that even under Unity 5 each craft will still only run on one thread. Which means KSP will still love high clock cpus.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21307829

renniSaint:

- The aftermarket cooler comes with thermal compound, no need to buy it separately.

- The video card is a bit weak for a system of that caliber, I would consider dropping to 8GB RAM to squeeze in a better card, if you can stretch to a 960 you'll have much better GPU performance. Depends what you want to do with the system.

- You can get twice the SSD capacity for very little extra.

- If you are planning to make a Hackintosh of it then check your motherboard's support very carefully.

- That PSU looks sketchy to me. I only go with Seasonic or Corsair for PSUs, cheaping out on the PSU often costs in the long run.