KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Alright. Well, I would need the computer to be around $500, less preferably, no more than $550 probably. As for performance, I would like to be able to play most modern games one at least default settings. I would probably settle for having to turn graphics down though.

Basically, I want a budget computer for modern gaming. (but not a super fancy supercomputer that can run all games at max graphics and such)

Alright. Well, I would need the computer to be around $500, less preferably, no more than $550 probably. As for performance, I would like to be able to play most modern games one at least default settings. I would probably settle for having to turn graphics down though.

Please folks, try to remember - settings are only part of the deal. Without a prospected resolution and frame rate, we really have to guess at the desired performance.

Maybe. I forgot a some questions. Do you have the ability/would you make your own case? Do you have a price limit? Would you be willing to look at custom cases? Would you be willing to have a look at PCI raisers so you can move your GPU about inside a smaller case?
I have a bad record with DIY projects so making my own case is out. Pricing is rather vague at the moment, and I wouldn't really know where to start with ordering custom stuff. Riser cards - eh, if they work OK I'm not opposed to a case that uses one.
How good is KSP on the onboard P4600 graphics? If it's good enough, I may forego the big card altogether as I barely use it otherwise.
A quick search on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php puts it pretty much the same as the regular HD 4600, so others can probably advise. I've played KSP on theoretically worse myself.

I have a bad record with DIY projects so making my own case is out. Pricing is rather vague at the moment, and I wouldn't really know where to start with ordering custom stuff. Riser cards - eh, if they work OK I'm not opposed to a case that uses one.f.

Would it be okay if we know what country you live in so we can find the correct pricing and retailers for you?

Basically, I want a budget computer for modern gaming. (but not a super fancy supercomputer that can run all games at max graphics and such)

Take a look at this. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XbvQWZ

Your i7 likely performs better in KSP when ramped up. For other games that can thread better the AMD briansun1 linked will likely be better. Your current GPU is anemic, though, barely better than integrated. The card linked will run rings around your current one.

So basically, for KSP, my current setup is a tiny bit better, but for modern games the linked setup will do much better?

I should also mention that my i7 is stuck with hyperthreading on....so KSP only gets half a core.

So basically, for KSP, my current setup is a tiny bit better, but for modern games the linked setup will do much better?

I should also mention that my i7 is stuck with hyperthreading on....so KSP only gets half a core.

Hyperthreading doesn't work quite the way you think. On or off KSP will still get a full core, it's just Windows' CPU monitor is a bit stupid about reporting CPU usage on HT processors.

Your GPU might be limiting in KSP currently, depending on resolution and settings (and vfx mods, if any). Personally, if KSP is your primary game, I would hold off until the next update and see how the whole multithreading thing plays out, that will determine whether AMD or Intel is the better choice in the lower end of CPUs.

Hi guys!

I'm thinking about a little (ok, not so much) upgrade for my PC. Not the whole new - my case is probably worth more than everything inside it and Corsair 700W should be still enough, but all besides those.

• hat are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible I need it mainly for games - especially KSP and Space Engineers but I plan to buy Elite when my PC will be able to handle it and I wanted to get involved in Star Citizen. Rarely other games (action, FPS, etc)

• What is your budget about 800$
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows? no
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)? no

[*]Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders? Poland

1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage esc.pl they have best prices but I don't think they have english version of their site :/ sorry?
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter? N/A

• Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind? yes, but not at the beginning so I don't think I already need any better cooler etc, although some time ahead I would like to overclock so it would be nice if everything would bo ok for that
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small? no, go big or go home. Also, my case is pretty big
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet? would be nice if I could hear the game over it
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading? for a few years I would like to not spend more money on it. and then I guess "upgrade" would mean the same thing I need to do now, so besides overclocking and things needed for that (cooling) I guess it will rest. Maybe I will also throw SSD inside some time down the line
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost. Don't think so

(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.

• CPU - Intel i5 4690k
  • Motherboard - AsRock Z97 Anniversary
  • RAM - Kingston 16GB (2x8GB) 2400MHz CL11 HyperX Savage (maybe I will get another pair some time ahead, so I would like to stick to 2x8 not 4x4)
  • Graphics Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 OC 4GB DDR5 128bit
  • Power Supply - n/a
  • Case - n/a
  • Hard Drive - Seagate 1 TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA600 Barracuda
  • Solid State Drive (optional) - maybe later
  • Mouse (if necessary) no
  • Keyboard (if necessary) no
  • Monitor (if necessary) no
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary) no

So that's it, would be so cool if you could help me :)

So, this is my new build to replace my current, old, pre-built HP machine:

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K (FM2 socket)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4

Motherboard: Gigabyte F2A88XM-HD3

Memory: 2x G.Skill Ripjaws Gaming Series DDR3 4GB RAM blades

Storage: Crucial M500 240GB SSD

Storage: Western Digital 1TB HDD

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 (2GB DDR5)

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Case

Power Supply: "Ultra Professional" 650 Watt PSU (ATX)

Optical Drive: Asus 12X Blu-Ray/CD Reader/Writer

Anything that I might need to re-evaluate? It all seems to work quite well in terms of the hardware fitting and such.

EDIT: I do already have a keyboard, (several) mice, and a monitor to use with the new machine.

An Intel build will run KSP significantly better. The Pentium G3258 is about the same money and can be overclocked for great single-threaded performance but may struggle with other games that expect a processor with four threads. The Core i3 4170 has hyperthreading which helps with games that use it and will still be a good processor for KSP but it is a fair chunk more expensive than the Athlon or the Pentium.

Also that power supply sounds really dubious.

An Intel build will run KSP significantly better. The Pentium G3258 is about the same money and can be overclocked for great single-threaded performance but may struggle with other games that expect a processor with four threads. The Core i3 4170 has hyperthreading which helps with games that use it and will still be a good processor for KSP but it is a fair chunk more expensive than the Athlon or the Pentium.

Also that power supply sounds really dubious.

I do run other games besides KSP (Warframe, lots of Source Engine games, some others, etc.) that do utilize quad-core CPUs better, and hopefully 1.1 will make 64 bit (and using more than one core) actually function.

On the topic of the PSU, I agree, but it was given from family as a gift, so I'll try it and see if it works well. (A quick google search shows that it's a decent PSU, and reviews say it is fairly quiet and works as intended, so I guess I'll have to give it a go when I finish the hardware build tomorrow!)

Anyways, I'll have my rig built tomorrow, so I'll get report back with how well it works. Might try an Intel CPU if I upgrade at some point in a few years, perhaps...

That's always depressing. Keep a cool head and take your troubleshooting step by step. Consider stripping things back. Motherboard, CPU, and beeper alone should produce a "no memory" beep code. If not you know it's one of those or the power supply at fault.

That's always depressing. Keep a cool head and take your troubleshooting step by step. Consider stripping things back. Motherboard, CPU, and beeper alone should produce a "no memory" beep code. If not you know it's one of those or the power supply at fault.

Mine didn't come with a beeper (shame, too, since it fits everything like a glove), but some basic testing has led me to think it might be the board, as we tried swapping the cooler with the stock one, re-seating the CPU and GPU, and attempting to boot with only one of my twin 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks. Every time, the fans spin for less than a half second, and then they stop. No video output, no fans spinning, no POST or BIOS coming up, no noise. The case's built-in power indicator LED stays on, and the thing seems unresponsive. Considering removing the mobo and attempting to boot outside the case, incase there's something in there shorting the circuits.

Update #2: Further testing has confirmed it's the mobo, so I've returned the board (thank god for Amazon Prime/Gigabyte's warranty/return policies) and am about to order an Asus A88X Pro ATX mobo to replace it. This'll hopefully actually function, and it has extra RAM slots, giving my twin 4GB sticks more breathing room next to the giant Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU cooler/fan combo I'm using.

Mine didn't come with a beeper (shame, too, since it fits everything like a glove), but some basic testing has led me to think it might be the board, as we tried swapping the cooler with the stock one, re-seating the CPU and GPU, and attempting to boot with only one of my twin 4GB DDR3 RAM sticks. Every time, the fans spin for less than a half second, and then they stop. No video output, no fans spinning, no POST or BIOS coming up, no noise. The case's built-in power indicator LED stays on, and the thing seems unresponsive. Considering removing the mobo and attempting to boot outside the case, incase there's something in there shorting the circuits.

In cases like these, make sure to check all the cables, especially the P4 cable. Problems like these are exemplary for the latter. Best is to actually reseat cables, since they sometimes look properly connected, but are not.