KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

I use Virtualbox loads. It's strongest for desktop virtualisation, on my PC I have a Linux host and a Windows 7 VM for work stuff, and a second win7 VM I use to test OS and software deployment. Snapshotting is very helpful for that, if an aspect of the deployment doesn't work I can revert that without needing to redo the whole thing. I use it for servers too because of my familiarity, though I think other VM software would be better. It lets me run Windows and Linux servers on the same physical hardware, keep separate services on their own VMs, and I can set up a virtual server at one site then make a copy at another.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a strange issue I'm having with my new computer. Two games are having strange graphical issue as seen here: big picture

My first thought when I see those kinds of artifacts is that your video memory has issues, or maybe the GPU chip (though that generally shows in different ways). The fact that some games suffer from the problem and some do not seems to point another way, though it is not impossible that these games do something that the others do not. It is not the most clear cut case of memory issues I have seen (generally there are more repeating patterns), but these colours and patterns do raise suspicions. The fact that windowed mode does work adds to this, since it forces the card to work in another way due to the 2D desktop being displayed.

Is there any way for you to test that card in another system? Did you try any more games? Does the behaviour always show with these games, or only after a certain amount of time or when you do something specific? Is all other 2D display behaviour okay? Are all your fans spinning and is your cooling in order?

Edited by Camacha

I went ahead and did the replace through Amazon. The new card, same make and model, came in today. I slapped it in, booted up, tried COH2, and still glitched out. So now I'm not sure what's going on.

Well, that is a rather rigorous approach, but at least it tells us more about the nature of the problem. Do you have any hard disk you can install a second copy of Windows on? It would be good to know whether this is a hardware or software fault. As with any computer (or car, or human, or anything else broken) issue, a process of elimination is pretty much the only way of dealing with things effectively.

Please also read my previous post here, which mostly applies to your situation too.

Well, according to one unreliable source, the Model M went for $150-250. And that was in the late 80s, it's more like $400 in today's money. While a mechanical keyboard is still a decently expensive bit of kit it's a lot cheaper than it used to be. My only minor gripe is how the "gaming" side of things has encouraged over-flashiness.

On the topic of mechanical keyboards, how do people think about adding O-rings? I think I do bottom out on most keystrokes when typing, possibly because I have to use other keyboards at work, and my fingers and family might appreciate the o-rings. But I know some people say they're a bad idea because they just encourage bottoming out all the time.

(I've a Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with MX Browns, by the way)

Edited by cantab

Well, according to one unreliable source, the Model M went for $150-250. And that was in the late 80s, it's more like $400 in today's money. While a mechanical keyboard is still a decently expensive bit of kit it's a lot cheaper than it used to be. My only minor gripe is how the "gaming" side of things has encouraged over-flashiness.

On the topic of mechanical keyboards, how do people think about adding O-rings? I think I do bottom out on most keystrokes when typing, possibly because I have to use other keyboards at work, and my fingers and family might appreciate the o-rings. But I know some people say they're a bad idea because they just encourage bottoming out all the time.

(I've a Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with MX Browns, by the way)

I don't like them, but then again I like the clicky sound they make.

Hey I have a question:

I have been upgradeing my computer so it can run KSP. I have already upgraded my RAM. So now I need to upgrade my video card. So any ideas? It needs to be capable of running Sims 4 and Kerbal and fit in the case for my Dell optiplex 745.

Hey I have a question:

I have been upgradeing my computer so it can run KSP. I have already upgraded my RAM. So now I need to upgrade my video card. So any ideas? It needs to be capable of running Sims 4 and Kerbal and fit in the case for my Dell optiplex 745.

What processor do you have in there? Because the specifications I can find all speak of either an early Core 2 Duo, or even a Pentium D or Pentium 4. Spending money on a system like that to play KSP (or other modern games) is no use, you will really need to upgrade the whole platform to see relevant gains. Throwing money at either of those chips is, to be harsh, useless.

I understand that sometimes you do not have a whole lot of cash to burn, but saving up a little bit and buying a cheap and cheerful system with something like a Pentium g3258 or i3 makes a lot more sense than spending your cash on something is severely outdated and under performing. If you must spend any money, only spend it on something that also makes sense if you ditch the Optiplex. Do not invest in some less than ideal hardware just to get it to fit in the case or on the motherboard.

Edited by Camacha

Quick question

what's the code to have a .cmd file make command prompt run tree?

tree

TREE [Drive:[[Path] [/F] [/A]

Drive:\Path Drive and directory containing disk for display of directory structure.

/F Displays file names in each directory.

/A ext characters used for linking lines, instead of graphic characters. /a is used with code pages that do not support graphic characters and to send output to printers that do not properly interpret graphic characters.

Something like:

@echo off
tree C:\Users

So I've had my second HDD die (or otherwise become unusable) yesterday. Trying not to blame Windows 10, but c'mon. Two dead HDDs while running Win 10 for about two months, and zero running Win 7 for about 4 years.

Oddly enough, this was a new HDD, ordered to replace the last one that, also oddly, died within 24 hours of installing Win 10. The new HDD lasted, I think 3 weeks or so before kicking the bucket. Obviously correlation does not equal causation, but... c'mon, really? I hadn't even come close to filling the drive yet.

Is it possible that it got to a bad spot on the HDD and just got screwed up? Is it also possible that any potential flaws with the HDD would slip by unnoticed til this point?

So... coincidence? I really really hope so, because I'm otherwise planning to buy an old copy of Win 7.

I made a partial guess that it was just a faulty HDD, so instead of another Seagate I ordered a WD.

Coincidence. The dice roll funny every once in a while.

I really hope so. Being an avid D&D player, I know all about how pesky those dice can be :P

I guess it's just that much less likely that maybe Microsoft missed a little memory issue or two in a program of... how many gB? In a product that's... how new? Significantly less than a year, right?

Idk. The chances of it happening as such (and Win 10 not playing even the slightest role) is pretty low, as far as I can work out.

Once again, the obligatory "correlation does not equal causation," but it's hard not to be suspicious at this point. The other HDD ran perfectly for nearly five years, and within 24 hours of Win 10, it dies? :|

Not 100% convinced Win 10 isn't at least partially contributing to some issue here. Is it not possible that Win 7 would have handled these issues better, having been around and improved on for X years?

Update: Luckily, I had 2 days left on factory warranty, so I'm sending it back in for a refund. Very unlikely to get a SeaGate HDD in the future!

Edited by Slam_Jones

Idk. The chances of it happening as such (and Win 10 not playing even the slightest role) is pretty low, as far as I can work out.

You are trying to horseshoe the facts to your conclusion. There is no HDD killing issue in Windows 10, or we would have had massive amounts of complaints already. Hard drives are most likely to fail within the first few months of operation. After that, chances drop, only to steadily climb again as the years progress. This is exactly what you have experienced: a hard drive going to bits in its infancy.

This is exactly some people torture test their new HDD's before employing them.

Once again, the obligatory "correlation does not equal causation," but it's hard not to be suspicious at this point. The other HDD ran perfectly for nearly five years, and within 24 hours of Win 10, it dies? :|

Not 100% convinced Win 10 isn't at least partially contributing to some issue here.

You really are hunting ghosts. You will need a lot more solid evidence than two hard drives dying on you to have these suspicions, especially since there are much more obvious answers to your questions. Just installing Windows 10 puts a load on a disk, just like it would when installing Windows 7, 8 or any other OS. Just that could have pushed a failing disk over the edge.

Let us not lose sight of reason :)

You really are hunting ghosts. You will need a lot more solid evidence than two hard drives dying on you to have these suspicions, especially since there are much more obvious answers to your questions. Just installing Windows 10 puts a load on a disk, just like it would when installing Windows 7, 8 or any other OS. Just that could have pushed a failing disk over the edge.

My suspicion too. As I mentioned elsewhere, in the office I've had a few old drives that "used to work fine" go kaput during a Windows re-install and I speculate that simple load is the cause, rather than Windows doing anything wrong.

That said other causes aren't impossible.

That said other causes aren't impossible.

Other causes being faulty hardware like the motherboard or PSU causing power spikes. Windows breaking anything is way, way down on the list. It just is very unlikely, from both a theoretical and practical point of view.