KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Welcome to the KSP Computer Building/Buying Megathread.

Post your Specs and Builds of your Work in Progress, Current, or Future Builds; or ask for advice on computer purchases. This is also a place for constructive discussion, Please keep it an open and friendly enviroment. No fanboys just honest facts would be appreciated.

Feel free to post Anything Computer Related here.

YqM2sOo.jpg

Some hardware fixes.

IvanTehFennec said:
THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Don't get screwed over by DVI.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

DVI-A and DVI-I are INCOMPATIBLE. Remember which you have, and buy/use an appropriate converter.

rJEV0YY.jpg

Some videos to help you with building your rig.

How Not to apply Thermal Paste.

How to correctly apply Thermal Paste.

Looking to buy a Mechanical Keyboard?

A Nice Form to fill out if you want help from someone with planning a build.

When trying to recommend a build to you, there's some information that's extremely helpful for us to know. If you could answer these few short questions, we'd be happy to help!

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
  • What is your budget?
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?

[*]Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?

1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

(OPTIONAL) Have you already looked at or considered any parts (it's okay if you haven't)? If so, please list your top 1-2 choices for each category. If you've only picked out a few of the below, just list those.

• CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Graphics Card
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Hard Drive
  • Solid State Drive (optional)
  • Mouse (if necessary)
  • Keyboard (if necessary)
  • Monitor (if necessary)
  • Speakers/Headset (if necessary)

Once again, thank you in advannce for taking the time to answer these.

My Build.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

My parts list can be found here.

Look at these temps. LOOK AT THEM.

fVyfc0b.jpg

I built my computer about 3 months ago.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-D3H

RAM: 8gb (2x) Crucial Ballistix Sport

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD. Western Digital 500GB HDD.

PSU: Antec HCG 620m

Case: Zalman Z11

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit + Fedora 18

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB

I'm hopefully going to be building a budget gaming PC over this summer.

Here's the Not-laid-in-stone-yet Specs for it.

Processor: Intel Core i3-3220 Dual-Core Processor 3.3 Ghz

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 7770 GHZ OC 1 GB DDR5

Power supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt

Motherboard: MSI LGA1155/Intel B75/DDR3/SATA3 USB 3.0

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB ( Might upgrade to 1tb, but 500Gb is plenty for me.)

Case: Thermaltake V4 Black Edition

About 650 USD total, my final list of parts will probably be different from this one.

What would be the ideal use for it? Defiantly not for OS storage, I never have more than 5 gb at a time of free space on my laptop.

A lot of people use them for their OS. Boot times on windows drops dramatically, but thats all in the nature of flash memory. With a big enough SSD you can put programs and tihngs of that nature on it making them boot/run very quickly as well.

You guys need to be investing in an SSD.

I mean booting in 4 seconds flat is nice and all, but after that i dont seem to think they are worth the price yet.

With the market for SSDs changing so quickly ill wait to get one.

Oooo, Dual Boot. Why Fedora over Ubuntu?

I never really liked Ubuntu. Fedora however I think is great.

I couldn't be bothered to get an SSD. My windows boot time is surprisingly fast. It's faster than Fedora at least.

Edited by KD3

I built this about a year ago to replace a truly ancient P4 machine. It was built with silent power mind mind, and as a Photoshop and Solidworks (mainly workstation) machine that should be able to play some games too. Might get some upgrades soon, but money is a bit tight at the moment. I'm loving it, it is quite fast and incredibly silent, it is everything I built it for. After years holding out and working with old gear, I finally have some proper kit.

i5 2500K

Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3

Samsung 830 128 GB SSD (they are much more affordable now)

8 GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Asus GTS 450 1 GB GDDR5 with Arctic Accelero S1 Rev. 2 (silence!)

Antec P180

Windows 7 Pro (Windows 8 Upgrade purchased)

Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

NZXT Sentry 2

Nexus Real Silent Fans (5x)

Nexus Value 430 PSU

2 GB Caviar Green as an external HDD via USB3

1 GB Caviar Black for internal storage, though currently not installed.

Upgrades would be a new keyboard and mouse, as the wireless ones I'm using now are causing trouble. After that a RAM upgrade would be first and maybe a new GPU after that, although the ones I'd like to buy are a bit too expensive right now (HD7870 XT or GTX 660 (Ti)). On the other hand, almost everything works pretty decent (bar the keyboard), so upgrading is a bit of a luxury.

Edited by Camacha

A lot of people use them for their OS. Boot times on windows drops dramatically, but thats all in the nature of flash memory. With a big enough SSD you can put programs and tihngs of that nature on it making them boot/run very

I mean booting in 4 seconds flat is nice and all, but after that i dont seem to think they are worth the price yet.

With the market for SSDs changing so quickly ill wait to get one.

Well, booting is only half the story. A friend of mine was here with his laptop and booting Photoshop was just painful compared to starting it from my SSD. And not just that, everything is just a bit easier. In hindsight it would have been financially sensible to wait a bit longer to buy a SSD, but in all honesty I never really regretted it. The only thing is I'm already looking for an upgrade, since I like it that much :D

SSD's are hands down the biggest thing to happen to PC's in the past 5 years, maybe even 10.

I tend to like to avoid the Early Adopters Tax. 64GB SSDs are relitevly inexpensive but not ideal to replace a traditional HDD, There are 1TB SSDs but they are extremely expensive and leave much room for improvement. My HDD is relativly quick and suits my needs.

I built my computer on Dec 28 -29. Here are the specs:

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.20GHz Stable ~ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Air Heatsink

8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1866MHz

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit

EVGA Geforce GTX 660 Superclocked - Until April 22, I won't have a GPU because mine died and a new one is in the mail returning from a RMA

Cooler Master Silent Pro 720w - I realize that this was overkill, so I won't make the same mistake again.

Cooler Master HAF 922

ASRock Z75 Pro3 - My next computer will have a better motherboard so I can upgrade it

Seagate Barracude 500GB 7200RPM

Asus 24x Optical Drive

Sure its not the best, but its my first custom build. Now about getting that SSD upgrade...

I tend to like to avoid the Early Adopters Tax. 64GB SSDs are relitevly inexpensive but not ideal to replace a traditional HDD, There are 1TB SSDs but they are extremely expensive and leave much room for improvement. My HDD is relativly quick and suits my needs.

Thats why you use an SSD for OS+applications and an HDD as data grave + games. An SSD has lower access times by an order of magnitude and is not slowed down by a mechanical read/write arm (randomly acessing small files on a hdd is painful).

I probably will get a few from Newegg, a few parts are actually Cheaper on Amazon than they are on Newegg. Plus i've got $100 worth of gift cards on amazon. :)

Hm, yes, that's reasonable. It's just that Newegg is so awesome, they have absolutely everything and they ship very fast. Also I've had a couple of bad UPS related incidents with Amazon before. Oops, your package was lost in transit and is a week late. Oops, we mangled your package again!

Built mine about 7 months ago after Deployment.

Intel i7 920 @ 3.2GHz

16Gb Corsair Ram

3 GTX 470's SLI.

128Gb Sandisk solid state for my boot drive.

1Tb WesternDigital Data drive.

P6x589d-e Extreme Designs Motherboard.

Water Cooling with a cheap pump and radiator.

Logitech G510 Gaming keyboard

Corsair Vengeance M60 mouse.

402635_4009858400026_845701135_n.jpg

Hm, yes, that's reasonable. It's just that Newegg is so awesome, they have absolutely everything and they ship very fast. Also I've had a couple of bad UPS related incidents with Amazon before. Oops, your package was lost in transit and is a week late. Oops, we mangled your package again!

I bought all my components from Amazon. Might be different for me because it was Amazon UK. I had no problems