KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

So it's my main 2tb drive e windows is on, so I get to buy a new one. I've been looking at a Firecuda drive but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

Odd. I guess for the rebuild it's your chance to move the boot drive to the SSD. As for brand... well I used to prefer Western Digital, but only because of their discontinued Customer Loyalty/Upgrade program. But, in general I can find somebody to swear at and swear by any brand name out there. At the office we have a blend of Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi, HGST, Intel, and Toshiba. Even saw a weird mid eighties brand name that I can't remember and had to spend twenty minutes googling for info about them.

But, buy as big as you can afford. You always end up with more data than you think you will over time.

Edited by steuben

I bought a 1TB FireCuda to replace my damaged drive, but haven’t installed it yet. Odd that the packaging or display box didn’t state the size of the SSD portion. I’ll find out later when I install it. Then I can let the guy at Staples know...

It was only $10 more than the regular 1TB Barracuda

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Odd that the packaging or display box didn’t state the size of the SSD portion. I’ll find out later when I install it.

Looking it up, I think it's 8 gb. 

It's Aliiiiive!!!

So good to be back on a keyboard.

So this FireCuda is a hybrid drive. It has an SSD portion, but it's not a discreet partition. It just shows up as a 1TB (well, 924MB) drive that I've partitioned. The controller is supposed to figure out what to put where. I'll see what kind of performance gains I get. The one review I read on it (after I bought it) says it should be well worth the extra ten bucks.

But good lord, what a nightmare creating the re-install USB drive. It kept failing to create the media. Finally I did a long format, put it in a different port, and plugged in my son's laptop I was using. Not sure which change did the trick, but it finally worked. What I found stupid was that the tool kept downloading the files each time I tried it, adding to the time.

Meanwhile, robocopy was working hard, on my dying drive, but it was copying stuff I didn't think was in the folder I told it to copy. Once it was done I tried to surf around the drive some more to see what I missed. Nope. Dead as a doornail. PC said it wasn't there anymore. Ah well, I got most of what I wanted and everything I needed. Then I removed it from the laptop (thankfully this machine has an access door, others in the house have to pry the case apart) and it was almost too hot to touch.

6 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

You mean you C: partition is on the same drive as your E: partition?

Remind me what the E partition does? I might not even have an SSD, given my load speeds. Experiments (see: Opening Up Case to Put A Fan beside it to Increase Cooling and Find Out What Parts are in it)(I hate my capitalization) are needed.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

2 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Remind me what the E partition does? I might not even have an SSD, given my load speeds. Experiments (see: Opening Up Case to Put A Fan beside it to Increase Cooling and Find Out What Parts are in it)(I hate my capitalization) are needed.

Honestly, if you're having trouble interpreting what the disk management tool is telling you just upload a screenshot so people can help you. This has absolutely nothing to do with experimantation. You just have to look up what's inside your machine. You can use the tools Windows provides you with, you can use specialized tools like CPU-Z or Crystaldiskinfo or you just open up your PC and look at the actual parts.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Miner 36 said:

I need some help building my own ksp reddy pc for $260 NZD (this is in new Zealand money) all I need is to play ksp with no mods lag free(ish) (WE DONT HAVE AMMAZON YOU CAN FIND PC PART IN NZ AT PRICESPY.CO.NZ)

I count in NZD too, and frankly I would consider $260 a pittance to build a new machine. Even going for the cheapest components you can find, halfway-modern Motherboard + CPU + RAM will eat most if not all of that.
You could get a complete Dell/HP/Lenovo SFF desktop for that price, and maybe have a bit left to upgrade it. I'm not going to recommend that path though, because I loathe such machines - they tend to be cheaply made and use non-standard parts.

2 hours ago, Miner 36 said:

What use's less power ssd or hdd

That depends on which particular SSD and HDD you are comparing, and the workloads you are running on them.

Generally speaking SSDs will have superior IOPS/Watt, so they will use less power than a spinning HDD to move the same amount of data. That may not hold true under mostly-idle workloads though.

The only truly reliable way to get real-world data is to measure it, manufacturers specifications are pretty-much always peak power draw, and have little bearing on reality.

Here is a surprising if rather old plot:

power-consumption.png

Whether or not that watt or so difference in power consumption (2.5" SSD vs 2.5" laptop HDD) is noticeable will come down to workload and the other hardware in the machine.
In a gaming machine that pulls 300W, who cares what tiny fraction of that is the disk. A netbook with a 5W CPU would be another matter entirely.

All in all, unless you're after bulk-storage an SSD is always the better option due to its massive IOPS and throughput performance advantages.

-----

On 4/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, I dropped my HP laptop *facepalm* and it seems to have killed the HDD.

Lappy HDDs usually have accelerometers to trigger an emergency head-park if they detect a fall, but perhaps yours was a mite slow off the mark with that. The damage description sounds suspiciously like a crash (in the original usage of the term) or spindle bearing damage, both things I haven't seen in a long while.

Edited by steve_v
spelling

5 hours ago, Miner 36 said:

I need some help building my own ksp reddy pc for $260 NZD (this is in new Zealand money)

You need at least 500 for a semi decent office machine if you're trying to build something new. And that's not including peripherals.

21 hours ago, Norcalplanner said:

besides its lack of ray tracing?

Right now that's not really a downside at all. AFAIK there are still very few games that use it, and in those that do you're not likely to miss it anyway.
I'd rate that card as "last of the fast and gimmick free Nvidia boards", so much so that I am tempted to go get one. :)

I have a small gaming laptop right now and as soon as I added stock visual enhancements the game slowed down. I plan on buying my first pre built gaming pc but I don't want to spend all this money and have the same problem. So I was wondering if a OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0020RZ  is a good PC to run mods on ksp? 

The specs for this PC are 

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Ram: 16GB DDR4-2666 | Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD

13 hours ago, Kerbalgaming said:

So I was wondering if a OMEN Obelisk Desktop PC - 875-0020RZ  is a good PC to run mods on ksp? 

The specs for this PC are 

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700 | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 | Ram: 16GB DDR4-2666 | Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD, 2TB HDD

Should be more than fine especially if you only run KSP.

If you dont play any other games, the 2080 might be overkill actually.

21 hours ago, Kerbalgaming said:

As qzgy said the 2080 seems a bit excessive. The RAM on the other hand seems a bit slowish but I couldn't find what chipset the custom mainboard is using so I don't know if this particular machine could even handle faster RAM. One of the main problems with prebuild machines apart from custom parts is the power supply unit. Vendors will quite often put in the cheapest stuff they can find.

Those specs are a high-end gaming PC. I'd say overkill for KSP even with visual mods, though it might be relevant if you're running a 4K or higher resolution display.

Whether it's a good buy depends on the price, of course. And I second Harry's comment, try and find out if it uses a decent power supply.

If you're shopping around specifically with KSP in mind, look out for a slightly faster CPU. An i7-8700 is by no means slow, considering KSP should get the Turbo Boost kicking in nicely, but an 8086K or 9700K will be about 10% faster or more with a good overclock.

EDIT PS: Conversely, because KSP isn't super multithreaded, you could drop back to an i5 and providing the turbo boost speed is similar see virtually the same performance as the i7-8700.

Edited by cantab