KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

21 hours ago, Souptime said:

2 questions, and dumb it down for me no fancy ryzen razor GTA SSME OMS 69420 GPU graphics interUI over9000 dollar computer core somethin cheapish and accessible

1. what excatly makes a good setup for KSP? im talking 200+ mods, and something to get me from 1 FPS to maybe 30 at most, i dont need much

2. would i be able to upgrade my moms laptop i use? its a lenovo ideapad 310 with 8 gigs of ram, a terabyte of storage, and an  Intel Core i7 6th Gen processor. idk what the other specs are like the GPU or whatever other fancy computermabobs there are i just want me a semi no lag KSP

5 minutes ago, Souptime said:

soldering wont stop me

for i have butterknife!

so looks like i need a custom build rig huh

I mean I think you’ve asked a similar question before and gotten the same answer. 

pretty much. this is not the best time to try and build a PC because everything is really expensive. 
Try cutting back on mods maybe. 

• 2 weeks later...

got the 5800x in the mail. had enough bitcoin to order a mobo. went with this one, the gigabyte board i was looking at didnt have a front panel usb-c connector and the asus didnt have enough usb ports (i need lots for my ch controllers) . still need ram and a new psu. i have several old psu's and i might be able to use them fitment permitting. the case is designed with sfx supplies in mind, but it came with an atx bracket. but i eventually want to get this supply since the 600w version has been solid for several years now.  should be enough for a middle tier next gen card. will try to get that in october or whenever we get our pfds this year (they were early last year due to covid), im toying with the idea of going red this time (dont like nvidia's policy of artificially throttling hashrates and can take advantage of resizable bar this way as well). its going to take about 50 days of mining to get a 32 gig kit (barring any spikes/dips in the price), which i will pick out when i have the funds. 

Edited by Nuke

• 2 months later...

Hey all-

I'm currently looking for a new pc (my current one was built by my old man back in 2009! He plays everything on console now, so the pc is 'mine') and I found this. It's an Alienware Aurora Ryzen edition R10. It'll have a Ryzen 5 (6 core, 35mb  total cache, max boost clock of 4.6 ghz.)

A Nvidia RTX 2060 super  8GB  GDDR6

16 gb Dual channel DDR4 XMP at 3200 MHz, up to 128 gb

512 GB M.2  PCie NVMe SSD

and a low-profile smart cooling CPU heatsink w/ 550 watt power supply

total cost-$1,378

Is this a good gaming rig, (for the price) or is this a rip-off? 

Like with all prebuilts they don't tell you where most of these components come from. So you don't know their quality or if they are replaceable with standard parts. If I try to throw together the prices of good components with their current prices in Germany (which include VAT) I arrive at:

CPU: 250€
Board: 150€
PSU: 100€
RAM: 100€
SSD: 50€
Cooler: 50€
Case: 100€

That's 800€ in components. If you factor in 200€ for assembly and Windows you are at about 1000€ without the GPU. Sou you're paying 400 for an old 2060 Super. With the current situation maybe not the worst deal. A 3060 costs about 600 here right now. But you would need to check the prices you would get to see if this calculation works for you.

i got enough components to build a computer. i am working with a BIG HONKIN' 750w ATX POWER SUPPLY in place of the intended sfx supply. turns out the case has an atx supply option, but it kills the space i intended for an extra fan and a lot of cable management. im also not sure i have clearance for my low profile 2070 with this supply. so il probibly stick my 1060 in there for now while i run it through its paces. anyway thats my tomorrow project. the 5800x doesen't have a igpu and i cant get an actual boot out of it. but the debug leds get to "vga error", which is where this thing should fail if you boot without a gpu. good enough for now,  out comes the bourbon.

as anyone who has built an sff build knows the frustrations involved, the swearing and yelling and throwing things involved and general destruction of the relationships i have with my cats. the good news is i didnt have to dremel through the case. unfortunately i might have to due to not being able to get the top panel back on. turns out my cpu cooler sticks out the top. the clearance is off by four or five millimeters. it still technically mounted though because the top panel comes off and the cooler does clear the rails and the side panels go on fine. i figure i can get by with a spacer of sorts, something 3d printed or maybe order a laser cut acrylic sheet. or i can swap the cpu cooler with something else. its kind of depressing because i dont know anything thats even remotely in the same class as the nh-c14s, other than perhaps an aio (which wont fit till i get that sfx supply). temp fix is to put rubber grommets on the mounting posts and hope that gives me some clearance for now. 

Edited by Nuke

Hi everyone I have a problem...
it is called KSP2 and my pc. So the problem is that I have a very bad pc 
-A6 7480 (CPU)
-RX 550 2GB (GPU)
-8GB DDR3 (RAM) 
this will not be able to run KSP2 for sure and I don't know how I will upgrade with the least amount of money possible I considered Geforce NOW but I live in...
South America. there is no Geforce NOW in south america so I don't know really what to do since prices are super inflated (seriously my RX 550 wich is a bit better than a 1030 is more than 200 US dollars luckily I got mine before when it was 100) 

You would at least need to replace the CPU,  board an RAM. I would go with a Ryzen 5 5600G, a B450 Board and 16GB of at least 3200MHz RAM. That would be currently about 400€ here.

But the safest bet is to wait until the game is released and people know what it actually needs.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:33 AM, Harry Rhodan said:

Is it still a small form factor build if all those regular size components are sticking out left and right? :rolleyes:

thats actually kept me up nights doing math in my head. the new case isnt so bad in that im just going to have to put something in there thats going to eat up a quarter to a half a liter of space and thats just from a few mm of extra height. at least its going to keep its clean footprint.  the elite 110 is a whole lot of ugly bumpouts, some stock and some made by me. i doubt it would fit in its original box anymore. 

wow the cinebench scores on this rig are impressive. 14908 in multithreaded test. hitting 4.4ghz.  the 8086k build can only get to 9k-ish though im pretty sure it can get a higher clock with more threads (shows that ghz isnt everything). 1596 single threaded, was hitting 4.8ghz. thats a couple hundred mhz faster than what my 8086k build can do. 

also trying out some cpu mining, its only doing 5.6 kh on xmonero. which is only worth about 14 cents a day, prisoner wages. i think im going to turn that off its a waste of power.  probibly going to throw meshroom at it and see how it handles photogrammetry.  but do recommend some other benchmarks, especially cpu ones.

build is:

cpu: ryzen 7 5800x
mobo: msi mpg b550i gaming edge max wifi
ram: 32 gig corsair vengeance lpx ddr4 at 3600
ssd: sabrent rocket q 2tb (only 200gb currently partitioned, this is going to be my data drive)
gpu: gtx 1060 (temporary pending new sfx power supply, at which point my low profile 2070 super will fit. that will also be temporary pending video cards being a thing again and of course money)
case ncase m1
cpu cooler:  noctua ng-c14s (doesnt quite fit with this cpu/mobo combo, but close enough where i can make it work)
fans: 4x noctua- nf-a12x15 (only 3 installed right now due to psu hogging space) and 1x nf-a9x14
gpu: 750w, i think its a thermaltake (temporary). its old. was going to replace it with a corsair 750w sfx, though i did see a cooler master 850w modular sfx on ltt that caught my interest. leaning towards the corsair for how solid the 600w has been over the last 2-3 years.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:37 AM, Harry Rhodan said:

You would at least need to replace the CPU,  board an RAM. I would go with a Ryzen 5 5600G, a B450 Board and 16GB of at least 3200MHz RAM. That would be currently about 400€ here.

But the safest bet is to wait until the game is released and people know what it actually needs.

Sorry for the incredibly late response but I don't think I could afford those specs I will definetly go for the cheapest motherboard and 8 gigs (maybe 16 since ram is not that expensive) but a 5600G is too much Im talking more about a low budget upgrade because things are a little expensive what do you recommend?

On 8/24/2021 at 11:08 PM, Kapitalizing Every Word said:

what do you recommend?

If you keep the GPU you get the most bang for the buck with an Intel i5 10400f (the f at the end means that they don't have an an integrated GPU). An i3 10100f is even cheaper but only four cores are a questionable investment for the future.

A B560 board with fast RAM would be preferable, because the B560 supports higher memory speeds than the specified 2666MHz. If that's still too much you could get any of the older and lower series boards for socket 1200 (H410, H510, B460) and two sticks of RAM with 2666MHz.

• 1 month later...

alaska pfds in drop in a week. what can i get thats better than the rtx2070 super (zotac mini sff version)? lets say a $900 budget. the rtx2070 has been mining for about 8 months while im not using it and i dont expect it to last forever. new case has significantly more space for gpu, though i doubt a 3-fan card will fit. ordered the power supply a couple days ago, can measure for fitment when i get it installed. its a 750w corsair sfx supply, so it should clear the gpu bay (in theory). 

hash rate also important, i intend to mine with it when its not gaming (and sometimes while it is, kerbal for example is so cpu driven it barely effects my hash rate). lhr may be acceptable with 3 cards running instead of just 2. also not opposed to going red this time. 

sitting on the money is not an option, entropy will eat it alive if i do nothing with it. we will call it entropy.

Edited by Nuke

• 2 weeks later...

Let me introduce my awful rig:

Watercooled Core i7

8gb of DDR3 RAM Had 16 but killed 8gb of it because i'm an idiot and static shocked them to death)

Overclocked GT730 (+275mhz)

2TB HDD

Dual boot of Ubuntu 21.04 and Windows 10

Now, as you can see, I have a serious bottleneck here. Why? Because everything is so overpriced I can't buy a damn graphics card. I do actually plan on upgrading to 32GB of ram (motherboard maximum) 

Also, if you are curious, my graphics card sits at 40C and 60 at max load

Edited by Staticalliam7

are you sure it was static and not something else? ive had a few mobos over the years that just did not like 4 sticks or needed their overclocks reduced when using 4. tweak until memtest 86 doesn't fail. if you observed static its entirely possible it was disipated by the heat spreader. most chips are in bga or other packages without exposed leads, and the vias are usually covered by silk screen, so the only way for static to get in is the contacts.  its also not unusual that modern parts have esd resistant i/o ports. 

since i got into sff builds ive only been using 2 slot mobos. really cuts out the guess work. i just get the best thing on the qvl i can find/afford. 

my machine is still not done. i got it mining eth on my 1060 but until i get a better cooler and a new video card its staying on the bench. im just going to put in an aio, i cant get the air cooler to fit without my $200 case looking like ass. i also dont want to take the performance hit of a smaller air cooler. its a shame i really liked the performance i was getting (was turboing faster than my 8086k and the benchmarks had it slated on a whole different level). 

Edited by Nuke

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered a 12900k and a DDR4 z690 motherboard. Since I doubt I will get it anytime soon I thought I can just cancel it if I am convinced otherwise. Anyway since its alot of money for an upgrade from a 10700k I was wondering if anyone has any benchmarks of how the 12th gen intel plays KSP compared to 8th gen intel upwards.  Single core speeds are alot faster on paper but its KSP with 100 mods so it won't translate to real world. The upgrade to a 10700k from 4770k was great and looking at some benchmarks the 12900k could be a bigger leap but that might depend on limitations of the game. I have not idea but maybe you guys do :) I know its a waste of money but KSP is KSP and I am addicted. 

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

Just ordered a 12900k and a DDR4 z690 motherboard. Since I doubt I will get it anytime soon I thought I can just cancel it if I am convinced otherwise. Anyway since its alot of money for an upgrade from a 10700k I was wondering if anyone has any benchmarks of how the 12th gen intel plays KSP compared to 8th gen intel upwards.  Single core speeds are alot faster on paper but its KSP with 100 mods so it won't translate to real world. The upgrade to a 10700k from 4770k was great and looking at some benchmarks the 12900k could be a bigger leap but that might depend on limitations of the game. I have not idea but maybe you guys do :) I know its a waste of money but KSP is KSP and I am addicted. 

Hello @dave1904

This what you can get to your PC (12900k and a DDR4 z690 motherboard. ) if you have a card 2080TI and rest of parts world class like like ram disk, etc:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBuilder/Custom/S254075-M1675464.586821.1318565.1698466vsS254075-M1675464.1295288.1318565.1698466?tab=GPU

ZArdBS9.png

This is what I have with one of my systems, without any OC:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44702394

Test your current system and share the link :) is the best way to check how to improve step by step.

Cheers!

21 minutes ago, pmborg said:

Test your current system and share the link :) is the best way to check how to improve step by step.

You missed the point. I do not care what a benchmark score says. If it was not for KSP the 10700k would last for the next 10 years. Its a good CPU but when I got it 1 year ago I did not really believe the amd rumors and did not think we would be having a single core IPC war. Something that we gamers needed. I really only care about single core real world KSP performance. Your 5900x is a great CPU no doubt but I would pay more for a cpu with 4 cores with less userbenchmark scores and better KSP performance. The only reason I care about the 12900k is because of single core performance. KSP does not care if it has 4 cores or 20 and if KSP does not care neither do I :)  Problem is I do not know how KSP deals with adler lakes architecture. It might actually end up being worse. I do not know enough about these things and the 2 core types in adler lake is making it even more complicated. 

If you want to know my score here it is.  https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47652692