KSP1 Computer Building/Buying Megathread

Leonov

Well, the Corsair C70 case sounds good but it needs to be able to take the rain, grit and general dirt one would enconter on my journey to my friends. It would also be nice to have the abilty to carry my moniter, mouse and keyboard.

sounds like you need a crate. made of steel. lined with bubble wrap.

And dont forget the tele-kill alloy!

But anways, I've got some really cheap suitcases down at sports direct for £15-£20. Could they be a good buy?

The C70 is nice, Made almost completely out of thick rolled steel, With this comes weight. Maybe grab a decent sized duffel bags and then make foam inserts for your monitor, keyboard, etc. It would take some practice to get quick at dissembling and reassembling parts but, bang for buck Duffel bags are great.

Seems like a good price for a monitor of that size.

The C70 is nice, Made almost completely out of thick rolled steel, With this comes weight. Maybe grab a decent sized duffel bags and then make foam inserts for your monitor, keyboard, etc. It would take some practice to get quick at dissembling and reassembling parts but, bang for buck Duffel bags are great.

When you say disassembling and reassembling the parts do you mean just connecting the monitor, etc or something else?

When you say disassembling and reassembling the parts do you mean just connecting the monitor, etc or something else?

Indeed, Its not like you can stuff everything into a bag that's still attached. Taking apart the monitors stand, rolling up cables, things like that. Another thing you may want to be weary of is your GPU, Some people like to Remove it from the Computer and transport it in its own box.

I'm wondering, is the 650 ti boost an upgrade from the 550 ti? I'm getting pretty conflicting reports on whether its worth it. :S

Also is a static armband needed to change PC parts? I upgraded my CPU without one but ppl say its a good idea.

(I'm hoping to run Skyrim heavily modded and my current GPU just can't quite manage it, especially with an ENB installed.) :(

Will a Corsair CX 500 power supply be able to run this new card as well?

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Another thing you may want to be weary of is your GPU, Some people like to Remove it from the Computer and transport it in its own box.

Why would you want to do that? Unless it is impossibly big and heavy, taking it out is always going to be a bigger risk.

Also is a static armband needed to change PC parts? I upgraded my CPU without one but ppl say its a good idea.

You answered your question yourself. You do not need it, but it is a good idea. You should always make sure to discharge yourself before working on your PC by touching anything that is properly grounded. A armband provides additional protection by discharging you as you work, since movement might cause static charge buildup.

Will a Corsair CX 500 power supply be able to run this new card as well?

Honestly, if you want a bang for buck card, Grab GTX 660. Its got that sweet spot for gaming. My Skyrim has Climates of Tamriel, and project ENB a 2K texture pack and i cant remember which shader im using, The game runs fine at 1080.

So I'm thinking of getting a full tower case any suggestions?

Do you really need a full tower?, they take up a lot of space. Measure your components and see if you can just find a bigger mid tower. Plenty of them on the market.

Why would you want to do that? Unless it is impossibly big and heavy, taking it out is always going to be a bigger risk.

Something about having your GPU in motion with its only attachment points being where the PCB inserts into the motherboard and a little screw that attaches it to the case. Great mounting for a stationary object, but not if its going to be lugged around. Better to honestly put it the box in came in if you are going to carry it around.

Figure the dimensions of your case, monitor and peripherals. Get some soft of packaging material to secure those items, like Styrofoam, or that cutable packageing foam.

Is the 660 ti better than just the 660?

However I've noticed that the ti requires two 6 pin power connectors and I can only find one?

Edit: The website says the corsair cx500 has two 6 pins but I can't find the second one. :S Its not in use atm as the 550ti only needs one 6 pin

Edited by Comrade Jenkens

Is the 660 ti better than just the 660?

However I've noticed that the ti requires two 6 pin power connectors and I can only find one?

Edit: The website says the corsair cx500 has two 6 pins but I can't find the second one. :S Its not in use atm as the 550ti only needs one 6 pin

The price for performance of a 660 Ti is not worth it comepared to a GTX 660. A good OC'd 660 from a good company like EVGA or ASUS will run most games at high Ultra, the only game that gives mine trouble is Metro Last Light on Ultra.

Do you really need a full tower?, they take up a lot of space. Measure your components and see if you can just find a bigger mid tower. Plenty of them on the market.

I want to have a spacious case and mid towers just don't do it for me. Also I have plenty of space for a full tower so there isn't any problem.

Something about having your GPU in motion with its only attachment points being where the PCB inserts into the motherboard and a little screw that attaches it to the case. Great mounting for a stationary object, but not if its going to be lugged around. Better to honestly put it the box in came in if you are going to carry it around.

That only goes for massive cards. Even then you would be better off creating a permanent support for it instead of taking it out and putting it back in a number of times.

Although I seriously doubt whether a support is even necessary; I have not heard any remotely recent and reliable report of a GPU getting damaged this way. The same goes for coolers damaging the motherboard; bending yes, damage, not so much. In reality this is not or barely a problem.

Ive used wolfram alpha to work out out that my case takes up 41 litres of space so a 90 litter bag will be big enough.

Why would you need Wolfram Alpha for that? Unless your case has a truly strange shape it is simply heigth x width x depth. If you are measuring in fahrenheit you should simply convert your measurements to decimetres (centimeters/10) and do that same calculation and voila, you have your litres.

A basic litre is 10 x 10 x 10 cm, or 1 x 1 x 1 dm :)

Ok folks!

Ill be buying my parts sometime on monday next week at Micro Center :D Just wanted any last minute opinions on the build to make sure Im not doing anything insanely stupid. Here is the build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Rassa_Farlander/saved/2wPB

I plan on picking out the RAM when I get there so the RAM in the build might not be the RAM I get. I know Ill want 1600 clock speed and low latency. I want the cooler in case I decide to oveclock and to keep temps low in the summer to help the processor last longer. This will be my first build. Ive been watching NewEgg and some other videos on youtube on how to build it. Im very excited :)

Also im a 14 year old kid. That has just finished doing Pythagorus theorem in maths.

This is even easier than Pythagoras. Calculating volume is (here) usually something you learn right after the basics (addition, subtraction et cetera). It is really not hard. If you understand Pythagoras you will easily understand it :)

On the other hand, learning how to use Wolfram Alpha is a good thing too. Just remember to only use it to help you. You should always try to understand what you are doing.

I plan on picking out the RAM when I get there so the RAM in the build might not be the RAM I get. I know Ill want 1600 clock speed and low latency. I want the cooler in case I decide to oveclock and to keep temps low in the summer to help the processor last longer. This will be my first build. Ive been watching NewEgg and some other videos on youtube on how to build it. Im very excited :)

Looks pretty decent and balanced. You might consider replacing the Caviar Black with a Red, as Black is fast, but also noisy. If you do not care about noise, sure, go for the Black.