Akkuh

VR support

Posted (edited)

Please, please, please, support VR. [snip]

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

Hello, I would like to know if the developers have said anything about VR support for KSP2? (Oculus, HTC Vive) And if so, have they said anything on if it will be possible to interact with the space craft in VR (Control it, press buttons, switches, thrust, etc)?

So I was rewatching the Dev Story Trailer (for the nth time,) and take this with a grain of salt, but there were a few interesting items on  the desk of one of the developers at the 0:25 second mark.

Could be nothing... or could be something?  Who knows?  I'm not sure how VR would work in KSP, but I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Just a question.....  What purpose would VR serve in KSP?  It's not a 1st Person game and you generally need to be able to see your real hands on the keyboard to hit the right hotkey or action group.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Just a question.....  What purpose would VR serve in KSP?  It's not a 1st Person game and you generally need to be able to see your real hands on the keyboard to hit the right hotkey or action group.

You can fly ships from a 1st-person perspective. With sufficiently impressive visuals, even 3rd-person could be a pretty immersive experience.

Edited by TheOtherDave

58 minutes ago, TheOtherDave said:

You can fly ships from a 1st-person perspective. With sufficiently impressive visuals, even 3rd-person could be a pretty immersive experience.

Well, having done a number of "IVA-only" challenges, I don't see the appeal.  Even with RPM/MdV giving you interactive MFDs, the instrument panel is pretty much all you can see.  That's why there are "IVA-only" challenges :D .  If more than the Mk1 and Mk2 inline cockpits provided a decent view, maybe I could see VR being a thing.  But even you had a reasonable view outside, you only actually control a ship for any length of time if you're stuck on the surface or in the atmosphere, or trying to do things manually that in real life are automated (launching, docking, landing).  Out in space, getting from Point A to Point B, actually controlling the ship is only like 0.1% (or less, depending on length of trip) of the MET and that's all just point-and-shoot.  You spend way more real time building ships than actually flying them as the bulk of MET is just coasting for days/months/years/decades until the next burn.  You warp to that point, aim in the right direction, let the engines run for seconds to minutes while twiddling your thumbs, stop the engines, and re-orient the ship as sunlight dictates.  .Repeat.  So just saying, KSP doesn't seem to have much for VR to grad onto.

More overlapping threads have been merged.

I would love this... I think it would be really fun!

Just wondering what people think of this or whether the devs have considered it. I had an Oculus DK2 for a while and played a spaceflight game and it worked really well in VR. Hope KSP2 adds it!

thx i didn't see this thread somehow

i guess piloting would be difficult though experienced keyboard users generally know where all the buttons are intuitively so it's not a huge issue not being able to see your hands, i was fine with it on the dk2

but if nothing else it would be great as an immersive experience just watching from the perspective of a passenger and going on EVAs!

I don't really care about IVA VR... what I care about is roomscale VR in the VAB, so I can walk around and build rockets with my hands.

I agree. Building rockets would be incredibly fun. Also, They could create a more intuitive cockpit design, were you can press real buttons. I've always wanted to walk on the Mun, too. It would be hard to simulate the low gravity, though.

Before Star Theory rebranded, they had released I believe 2 VR titles, so it's probably not off the table.  Kerbal has a *lot* of different play modes though - think of how varied it is vs, say a first person shooter.  There's a VAB, piloting operations, planet-side EVA stuff, docking maneuvers, KSC facility management interface, etc.

I'm a big fan of VR and I'd love to have support, but I'm skeptical that it can be done well universally in this title without major time investment and possibly interface compromises in the core (pancake version) game.  Obviously I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this ;)

Edited by Chilkoot

On 8/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Geschosskopf said:

Building

You could literally have the ship in front of you and walk around it and hand place individual part instead of the current hope this part attaches where i want it because the mouse has no clue how deep I intend to place this part in the ship

13 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Before Star Theory rebranded, they had released I believe 2 VR titles, so it's probably not off the table.  Kerbal has a *lot* of different play modes though - think of how varied it is vs, say a first person shooter.  There's a VAB, piloting operations, planet-side EVA stuff, docking maneuvers, KSC facility management interface, etc.

I'm a big fan of VR and I'd love to have support, but I'm skeptical that it can be done well universally in this title without major time investment and possibly interface compromises in the core (pancake version) game.  Obviously I'd be very happy to be proven wrong on this ;)

I have recently bought a Valve Index without controllers just to play ED and I'd love to have basic VR support in KSP.

Not the whole game, just the game being in 3D in my HMD while still reliyng on Mouse and Keyboard for control, the 3D view and the sense of scale is a reason that stands on its own.

That said being able to build rockets and planes by grabbing, placing, moving and, generally speaking, manipulating parts with motion controllers it's something that I don't even dare to dream.

9 hours ago, Master39 said:

I have recently bought a Valve Index without controllers just to play ED and I'd love to have basic VR support in KSP.

Bro, I gotta say that if budget and playspace permit, grab a pair of controllers and setup as big a room as you can for "roomscale" VR (min 3m x 3m, bigger if you can manage).  You'll never look back!

I am a lifelong gaming enthusiast, and roomscale gaming in VR was one of those "quantum leaps" in gaming for me that only happen once every decade or two - maybe the biggest advancement since the 70's.  I'd go so far as to say roomscale qualifies as much as a "new medium" as this generation has seen, and a lot of directors struggling with storytelling in VR would agree ;)

5 hours ago, Chilkoot said:

Bro, I gotta say that if budget and playspace permit, grab a pair of controllers and setup as big a room as you can for "roomscale" VR (min 3m x 3m, bigger if you can manage).  You'll never look back!

I am a lifelong gaming enthusiast, and roomscale gaming in VR was one of those "quantum leaps" in gaming for me that only happen once every decade or two - maybe the biggest advancement since the 70's.  I'd go so far as to say roomscale qualifies as much as a "new medium" as this generation has seen, and a lot of directors struggling with storytelling in VR would agree ;)

Next month I'll buy the controllers and shortly after the second base station (if a single one can't manage standing play), for proper roomscale I have to wait next year with the new home as right now I have 1.4 x 2 m of space in my room.