Microtransactions

kyledavis

We all love KSP(1), and hope they can improve upon success. 

"You can make an amazing game, but you can't make a success. Your players make the success."

- Irme Jele

The devs are more than Successful; I can't speak for everyone. I hold hope they can look forward and work on their passion. I say this for myself and everyone who thinks like I do, and yes I understand the hypocrisy in my words. 

We hope you can succeed without alienating your players and trying to stand upon the success storys of those before you. I want you to advance in away that I as a KSP community member can be proud of. Be your self and not who you want to be. 

In Greek mythology, Icarus said, "don't fly too close to the sun"  Ignoring his father warning, the wax in his wings melted he tumbled out of the sky and fell into the sea where he drowned. 

What I'm trying to say is that we love the game just the way it is. We don't need controversy and with your passionate devs I hope you see that. We look back on history to teach us, and what we from history and experience is immeasurable. I ask you to understand the mistakes of big game studios and the controversy their involved in. You know what I'm talking about. And listen to your community. If you do that, I have know douet that you will make a wanderful game and put you community at ease.

I look forward KSP(2), for now with reservations.

There will not be an in-game currency for purchasing loot boxes or anything similar.  Please note that we are in active development and still working on many aspects. Which is why at this we do not have any announcements or can get in specifics regarding this. For now, we’re focused on a great launch and will announce more about post-release support in the future.

37 minutes ago, UomoCapra said:

There will not be an in-game currency for purchasing loot boxes or anything similar.  Please note that we are in active development and still working on many aspects. Which is why at this we do not have any announcements or can get in specifics regarding this. For now, we’re focused on a great launch and will announce more about post-release support in the future.

What about using real money to buy stuff ingame? Can we expect anything other than a season pass/DLCs, like features that certainly impact the gameplay to be available behind a paywall?

Screenshotted... For posterity. I don't trust Take Two at all, but Star Theory look to be a passionate team, so I hope Take Two doesn't pressure you. As angry as i am with Take Two for many other non-KSP reasons, I'll gladly buy the new game because I love KSP, and want it to succeed. Good luck, and Godspeed. 

I’m out of likes for today, but I fully agree with your sentiment. I’m worried, and I’m worried that language used by UomoCapra doesn’t exclude the direct sort of microtransactions. They’ve done well with the announcements so far, and I really want to buy this game. I guess all we can do for now is hope. 

30 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

I’m out of likes for today, but I fully agree with your sentiment. I’m worried, and I’m worried that language used by UomoCapra doesn’t exclude the direct sort of microtransactions. They’ve done well with the announcements so far, and I really want to buy this game. I guess all we can do for now is hope. 

Yep. “No in-game currency” does not mean “no in-game purchases”. The fact that they don’t want to openly state if there are or aren’t microtransactions in KSP2 makes me worry. This is Take-Two after all.

The ISO can update the definition of the second as “684x the time that passes between a T2 KSP announcement and somebody whining about micro transactions.”

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Yep. “No in-game currency” does not mean “no in-game purchases”. The fact that they don’t want to openly state if there are or aren’t microtransactions in KSP2 makes me worry. This is Take-Two after all.

Pray tell, the wide selection of games offering micro transactions in real currency? I can come up with a plethora of reasons why no one who wants to run a sane business wants to expose themselves to that. Currency conversions might require a banking license. Holding real money in player accounts might require regulations. Of course, you can bypass that by storing CC data in player accounts; now that is a liability likely not worth the headache.

I’m pretty sure “no in-game currency” is game-industry code for “no in-game micro payments.” But I could be wrong.

10 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

’m pretty sure “no in-game currency” is game-industry code for “no in-game micro payments.” But I could be wrong.

Of course you are wrong. Look at Borderlands 2, for example (also Take-Two btw). It sells character skins for real money on its Steam store page. Need a link?

7 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Of course you are wrong. Look at Borderlands 2, for example (also Take-Two btw). It sells character skins for real money on its Steam store page. Need a link?

cosmetic stuff in a highly mod-opened game like ksp would probably come long with a paid dlc/expansion.

even if they sell some standalone "skin" dlcs(spacesuits?), that doesn't really hurt this sandbox game does it? not that it's selling gear boxes in an mmorpg or something.

20 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

inb4 Take2 pulls out a Randy Pitchford "no microtransactions" and later "we are going to sell cosmetic items for real money"

Given the overall owner and industry trends, I'm sure that there will be more DLC than KSP, and at least some of that will be on scale of microtransactions.

My guess microtransaction types:

-New solar systems to colonize.

-Skins, flags and similar regailia.

-Historical part packs.

None of this is a real issue, but I am concerned how this plays into the multiplayer. Not having an in-game currency would make things like disposable supply packs mostly a non-starter, but there's always a chance that something similar may shown up.

Of course, there may end up being an in game storefront. That decision isn't going to made by the devs, but probably by people who have little knowledge or interest in the game outside of being a platform for spending.

2 hours ago, Kerenatus said:

cosmetic stuff in a highly mod-opened game like ksp would probably come long with a paid dlc/expansion.

even if they sell some standalone "skin" dlcs(spacesuits?), that doesn't really hurt this sandbox game does it? not that it's selling gear boxes in an mmorpg or something.

If KSP2 was free to play, then I wouldn’t care. Paid skins in a $60 game? Not okay. Greedy. Didn’t like it in Borderlands 2, will hate it in KSP2.

2 hours ago, RockyTV said:

inb4 Take2 pulls out a Randy Pitchford "no microtransactions" and later "we are going to sell cosmetic items for real money"

Ye, Randy kinda [snip] himself over this. 

1 hour ago, Machinique said:

Of course, there may end up being an in game storefront

Buy extra fuel for your rocket for just $9,99 $4.99! Best price!

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

If KSP2 was free to play, then I wouldn’t care. Paid skins in a $60 game? Not okay. Greedy. Didn’t like it in Borderlands 2, will hate it in KSP2.

Between having few new cosmetic stuff and having some priced ones, the latter is more appealing.

Also, it's not mandatory.

6 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Terrible excuse, it makes the devs want to lock all the good stuff behind a paywall.

pleasant or not, these things will happen in the vast majority of gaming industry.

i see no evidence ksp would be an exception.

also, 60 bucks for a ksp2 is not overpriced to begin with, if it keeps at least as good as the original one.

1 hour ago, Kerenatus said:

pleasant or not, these things will happen in the vast majority of gaming industry.

But not the entire industry. CD Projekt Red doesn’t give a [snip] about how greedy the majority of gaming industry has become. They just don’t add any monetization to full price games and even make fun of those who do. I want KSP2 to be like that. But there’s little chance...

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

This back and forth happening here over what constitutes a consumer friendly "micro-transaction" system isn't helpful at all. 'Appeasers' always say, what if... it's not so bad, or don't worry about it, it'll be optional anyway, or famously it's only cosmetic. To this I say I don't believe there is such a thing as a friendly or not so bad "micro-transaction" system and I think KSP fans need to take a hard-line against micro-transaction.

KSP has a very distinctive look and feel, anything that might alter that cosmetically or otherwise, optional or not will change the game permanently, from whats being marketed to us in the promotional materials to something else entirely. Also, as KSP-2 is designed to have multiplayer, the words "optional" and "cosmetic" take on a whole new meaning, once you throw other players into the mix, those terms aren't really applicable to the individual user anymore. So that's a definitive: NO TO MICRO-TRANSACTIONS FROM ME

Anything other than a definitive statement of intent 100% against micro-transactions now or in the future, leaves the door open to slip stuff in via the back-door later down the line, even then companies break commitments all the time. 

I will also say this: I am more than happy to pay the full AAA price $60 (perhaps even more), under the condition that there are never any micro-transactions of any type introduced into KSP. Think about that Take Two, consumer good will is worth more to you monetarily than a quick buck. 

Notice the red trim on a ship in one scene of the cinematic? Either that’s to distinguish different players‘ ships in multiplayer, or different trim colours may be “for sale”

Or worse, I’ve been playing with Kerbal Construction Time lately. I could imagine a scenario where “Your Jool 5 mission cannot be launched yet because the launch pad will not be available for 30 days due to reconditioning after the last launch. Pay $5 for instant reconditioning or $10 to build the Woomerang Launch Complex” (Bonus offer: slap the author of that run-on sentence for $20)

I should stop giving them ideas....

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Notice the red trim on a ship in one scene of the cinematic? Either that’s to distinguish different players‘ ships in multiplayer, or different trim colours may be “for sale”

Or worse, I’ve been playing with Kerbal Construction Time lately. I could imagine a scenario where “Your Jool 5 mission cannot be launched yet because the launch pad will not be available for 30 days due to reconditioning after the last launch. Pay $5 for instant reconditioning or $10 to build the Woomerang Launch Complex” (Bonus offer: slap the author of that run-on sentence for $20)

I should stop giving them ideas....

If they did this in KSP they'll have burnt me as a customer for ever.

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Agreed.  That statement rules out *one* type of microtransation - admittedly the type which is getting the most attention at the moment, but it's only one type.  I can think of at least four types of possible in-game purchases which that promise doesn't cover, and loot boxes would be a very poor fit for KSP anyway.

A few thoughts:

1. I don't really mind microtransactions as long as they're not in your face and don't affect gameplay at all. Purely cosmetic stuff is fine to me. Maybe I play too much Hat Simulator Team Fortress 2, but I really don't care as long as it never gets in the way. Preferably, if such did exist, it would be tucked away in a visible but not glaring button on the main menu that says "store" or somesuch.

2. I am afraid that by advertising high modding capabilities, they will stop releasing major content updates for free and instead put it all behind DLC, because they think that modders can provide enough free content to keep people satisfied. While this is probably true to some extent, I really don't want official new content to be behind a paywall. This also reminds me of TF2, where actual content comes in free updates, but hats and whatnot actually sustain the economy. I'm not saying that that's what KSP 2 needs to do, but I hope we still get extensions of the base gameplay mechanics outside of DLC.

3. Hypothetically, even if KSP 2 had all the worst kind of microtransactions, what would stop someone from modding free work-alike look-alike replacements and releasing them for free? Are we going to see a change in TOS here on the forums forbidding that? Even if those kinds of mods existed and were banned from the forum, they would still be popular, and I don't think they would be illegal (would they?) I don't really expect this to happen - AFAIK it hasn't happened with any current DLC, and it's not like writing a good mod is easy - but depending on the nature of the microtransactions and the reaction of the community I guess it could be a possibility.