Microtransactions

kyledavis

7 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

"Mods are the beating heart of this community and we're gonna make it more moddable than ever"? I think they already understand....

See there is this thought in my head that is telling me T2 didn't include the rest of the statement

I expect it went something like  "Mods are the beating heart of this community and we're gonna make it more moddable than ever .... so how can we monetize modding so as to bring in more revenue for investors"

T2 is a slave to their investors, not to the KSP community .... I seriously hope I am wrong

7 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I expect it went something like  "Mods are the beating heart of this community and we're gonna make it more moddable than ever .... so how can we monetize modding so as to bring in more revenue for investors"

Let's assume your hypothesis is correct. I don't think so, but I'll run with it for arguments sake. This goes two ways:

1) Modders get paid and have to give a little cut to T2 (maybe). Is that such a bad thing? Not every mod has to be paid, but those who would like to be, can be. I don't see this as a bad thing.

2) T2 really are the big bad wolf that has not emerged once over the last 2 years, and try to rip off mods/100% of the money. Modders withdraw (because T2 cannot take away your intellectual property rights, and let's not forget KSP mods are not hosted on T2 servers so the licensing stuff in the EULA doesn't apply). Game fails.

I suspect your counter argument would be that mods will have to be hosted on T2 services/Steam workshop/something similar. Then modders can read the T&Cs before signing up, and if it really is that bad, scenario 2 happens.

Edited by severedsolo

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Let's assume your hypothesis is correct. I don't think so, but I'll run with it for arguments sake. This goes two ways:

1) Modders get paid and have to give a little cut to T2 (maybe). Is that such a bad thing? Not every mod has to be paid, but those who would like to be, can be. I don't see this as a bad thing.

2) T2 really are the big bad wolf that has not emerged once over the last 2 years, and try to rip off mods/100% of the money. Modders withdraw (because T2 cannot take away your intellectual property rights, and let's not forget KSP mods are not hosted on T2 servers so the licensing stuff in the EULA doesn't apply). Game fails.

I suspect your counter argument would be that mods will have to be hosted on T2 services/Steam workshop/something similar. Then modders can read the T&Cs before signing up, and if it really is that bad, scenario 2 happens.

In the above 2 scenarios, if either happens T2 proves they are still up to their shady ways

I don't expect to get paid for a mod nor do I want any of the code/mods I write to be 'sold' to the KSP community or making it so that in order to use a mod you must pay for a season pass or something to that effect

Monetization of my work and other modders work will bring down the quality of what is available since it will turn into a steam workshop fiasco where most of the mods are actually not very good and fairly useless from a gameplay perspective ... cosmetics

As I said earlier, I really hope I'm wrong about this and KSP2 ends up being what us veterans have always dreamed KSP would become, however my spidey senses are tingling and something just smells off

Let's hope I'm completely wrong on this .... only time will tell

I'm in full support of having no microtransactions. It would ruin the game and for players like me who have never bought anything in any game would be a great disappointment as we could not play the game to its potential. And this things going to hurt us $60! Which is too much for me to get as it roles off and then a further few more payments just to be able to play! 

I hope that KSP2 will be a better and true to KSP1 as it can possibly be. 

On 8/22/2019 at 1:11 PM, severedsolo said:

There's one big problem with this.  Take a look at the most popular KSP mods, and you'll see that a LOT of them are being maintained by somebody other than the original author.  A lot of mods get handed off because life happens, people get tired of developing KSP mods, but there's enough community demand for the mod to keep it alive.

How would that work with a paid mod system?  AFAIK, no existing paid mod system allows an author to transfer ownership or share write access with anyone else.  This applies even if an author decides to make their mod available for free, because the only way a paid mod system can work is by using a signature/DRM system to regulate all mod installations, which means there is still the same issue of handing over control to another developer.

7 hours ago, Punslinger said:

AFAIK, no existing paid mod system allows an author to transfer ownership or share write access with anyone else.  This applies even if an author decides to make their mod available for free, because the only way a paid mod system can work is by using a signature/DRM system to regulate all mod installations, which means there is still the same issue of handing over control to another developer.

That's a very good point. Even then, I think the morality of having someone else claiming money for someone elses work is, grey at best (even though the licenses that most of us use would allow it).

Although let's be honest, if mods were paid, they would be much more likely to be ARR. *Shrug* in that case, really only scenario 2 is likely from that post.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:04 AM, DoctorDavinci said:

"so how can we monetize modding so as to bring in more revenue for investors"

On 8/23/2019 at 4:11 AM, severedsolo said:

Modders get paid and have to give a little cut to T2

Oh even better! Allow a paid mod be a base mod for a bunch of other mods! That would never end badly!

You could call the system the Kerbal Kreation Klub 2.0!

Hmm... where have I head that one before?

And no, the joke isn't the acronym. Shouldn't need to say that.