KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 9/14/2019 at 6:33 AM, Lu K. said:

Ya they should have picked Unreal Engine, that way modders can use blueprints :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far i know, Blueprints are quite slow.... I don't now you can convert Bluprints to C++ also for Mods, but then you need compile it separately for each Platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS)

On 9/14/2019 at 6:55 AM, steve_v said:

Because it's cheap.

On the UI video posted above... No. Just no. Can we please stop with the ultra-low-contrast shades-of-grey pancake-flat UI trend already?

KSP1 navball: Looks mostly like a real-life navball, obvious effort put into 3-dimensional representation of 3-dimensional object.
KSP2 navball: Somebody made a circle in MS paint, did a colour-fill with pastel tones.

Look at pictures of modern cockpits, real navballs are also flat.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, steve_v said:

In my world, a released product has a release-worthy UI to go with it - not placeholders, not mockups, not a quick and-dirty 4-colour overlay on the screen.

KSP2 has been released?

Man that was quick, last I heard (this morning) is it wasn't even in beta yet :rolleyes:

On 9/14/2019 at 1:56 AM, steve_v said:

In my world, a released product has a release-worthy UI to go with it - not placeholders, not mockups, not a quick and-dirty 4-colour overlay on the screen.
Released == core systems fully functional, ready to play, no big upheaval for a while. The UI that lets you interact with the game is a pretty important thing to get right early-on IMO.

Quite true, and I totally agree.  So what is your problem with a pre-alpha view of a UI which is not release-worthy, not fully polished, etc?

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Quite true, and I totally agree.  So what is your problem with a pre-alpha view of a UI which is not release-worthy, not fully polished, etc?

There's a fair number of people who seem to believe ShadowZone's 5-minute photoshop job is going to be the final UI.  I'm not entirely sure why...

On 9/17/2019 at 8:03 AM, runner78 said:

Look at pictures of modern cockpits, real navballs are also flat.

True. Assuming it's a modern cockpit, navballs are digital FPDs. My argument isn't whether or not it's round though, it's whether or not it's supposed to look like real cockpit instrumentation with all the 3D greebles and knobs that implies.
Even cuting-edge aircraft have physical instruments, for a real-world cockpit that looks like the UI preview we've seen, you're talking VR goggles and nothing else.

9 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

KSP2 has been released?

Man that was quick, last I heard (this morning) is it wasn't even in beta yet :rolleyes:

Indeed. See the comment I was responding to, regarding finishing the UI after release.

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nothing, the unpolished placeholder-nature of the UI is fine... It's the style I don't like.
My comments about a released product needing a release-worthy UI were in response to:

On 9/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, 5thHorseman said:

They don't want to make the same mistake KSP1 did and put a ton of work into the UI before they release the game.

Not the video itself.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

believe ShadowZone's 5-minute photoshop job is going to be the final UI.

Not at all. I mean the video is titled "secrets of the KSP2 user interface", so I'd expect it it at least hint at the style and layout of the final product, but it's clearly still in early-development.
Again: State: Fine. Style: Yuck.

Edited by steve_v

7 hours ago, DStaal said:

There's a fair number of people who seem to believe ShadowZone's 5-minute photoshop job is going to be the final UI.  I'm not entirely sure why...

When I saw the video, I immediately thought, that will now go around as a new KSP UI...

1 hour ago, steve_v said:

True. Assuming it's a modern cockpit, navballs are digital FPDs. My argument isn't whether or not it's round though, it's whether or not it's supposed to look like real cockpit instrumentation with all the 3D greebles and knobs that implies.
Even cuting-edge aircraft have physical instruments, for a real-world cockpit that looks like the UI preview we've seen, you're talking VR goggles and nothing else.

SpaceX crew Dragon has no physical instruments, not even physical controls, only touch screen monitors.
And for Airplanes, as newer the model, the less physical instruments.

1 hour ago, runner78 said:

SpaceX crew Dragon has no physical instruments, not even physical controls, only touch screen monitors.

Cool. Where are those touchscreens in the "secrets of the KSP2 user interface" video again?

As far as I recall, the Dragon still has a physical joystick and physical buttons for critical functions.

8 hours ago, steve_v said:

Not at all. I mean the video is titled "secrets of the KSP2 user interface", so I'd expect it it at least hint at the style and layout of the final product, but it's clearly still in early-development.
Again: State: Fine. Style: Yuck.

And that's where you have the problem: The video is about the *layout,* but not the *style.*  Judging the style from that video is like judging how a person looks from their 3-year old's picture of them.

I've seen videos where the Blizzard devs discuss the process of developing new zones.  The proto-maps of those zones are basically whiteboard diagrams and flow-charts, only slightly prettied up, and that tiny bit of polish is only (I'd guess) because they're made with shape drawing tools, not sketched by hand with pen or stylus.  They are not at all representative - except in the loosest, most conceptual sense - of the finished design.

Does Star Theory need to slap "Pre-Alpha" on everything they release?  Would it actually help, or would people continue to jump to conclusions and/or speculate wildly based on the thinnest of "evidence"?  (My money is on the latter.)

Edited by Commander Zoom

Star Theory hasn't even released an image of the UI officially.  People are getting up in arms about a YouTuber's diagram to help explain what he saw in an interview.  They can't even slap pre-alpha on it because it's not theirs.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:59 PM, steve_v said:

Nothing, the unpolished placeholder-nature of the UI is fine... It's the style I don't like.

So you don't like the style of something that's a non-development team member's quick and dirty representation of a temporary placeholder?

You are really stretching for something to gripe about. I'm going to hold my complaints on UI until I actually see something that the dev team has officially released as their art direction for the UI. Maybe you should too.

21 minutes ago, runner78 said:

Oh yes, NASA required that, i think the original design was without. I don't now, if this controls used in normal operations.

The original design had a few buttons and a joystick. They got rid of the joystick for some reason. 

*Male voice, in 3 different octaves* All aboard the KSP2 hype train! Tickets are free, as long as you take em’ early enough! Please do not push and shove to get into the train, you’ll clog the aisles!” *Female voice, slightly bitcrushed* And NO FILTHY NA-err-UNCULTURED SPACE GAME HATERS! You can’t board unless you present your ticket and your motive! *original tri-octave speaker* “Should you have any complaints, train staff shall promptly place you inside of one of the many SRB’s placed at the back of the train. You may experience small amounts of uncomfortable vibrating, but remember... complaints shall be answered with immediate annihilation.” *both* “Have a happy and safe ride, tickets after destination shall cost 60 dollars.”

Edited by Fraston

We've been running at a pleasant 0.075c for the past few weeks, after an initial burst of acceleration from the announcements. I've adjusted the reverser to use steam a little more efficiently. I expect the hype to increase over the next few months, we should break the light speed barrier in early 2020, I expect.

Passengers are encouraged to share videos discussing KSP2 or showcasing footage here.