KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Just an honest question here. Why is it that everyone expects something "literally every week"? It's not like they'll be able to show us progress in the game's coding without potentially revealing core game details that they probably want to save-off for until much much much closer to launch.

That means that pretty much all they can show us that's "watchable content" is progress in the art department.

Now don't get me wrong, I know a thing or two about programming in general (I've dabbled in a few languages, always related to a video game tho), and "dry scientific content" is something that I'll partake in occasionally (especially if it's about a video game I care about, which KSP 2 is). However, that's almost certainly the kind of stuff that they don't want to reveal until either day of launch or maybe even a little after it. I mean, what do you do if everyone knows how to beat your game before you release it? (I realize that KSP 2, being mostly a sandboxed game, will have a very hard to pin down definition of when you've "beaten the game", and that that will likely be different for every player, but the point stands, why release a game if the content of the game is already able to be consumed without the effort of actually playing the game?)

The point I'm trying to make is, they can't give us all the info right now or there won't be any for when the game's about to launch, which is when they're going to want people to be the most hyped about the game. So since we're 4-5 months or more from release date, we're going to be on a drip feed of new information about the game for probably a few more months.

What that boils down to is that when a new video comes out about KSP from the developers, I personally don't expect the next new video from the developers about KSP 2 until roughly a month has passed.
So far, that seems to be about the pace of things.
I'm not saying to not stay hyped! Staying hyped is fine! What I am saying is that you shouldn't be let down by the lack of a new video every week, because there's only so much info they can share about the game at any one time and it takes a while for a full video's worth of info to be ready for release. So it's almost certainly not going to happen literally every week.

Trust me on this, because I have personal experience. Candy's only special because you only get to have it sometimes. If you buy yourself a 5 pound (~2.5 kilogram) bag of candy and just have it sitting next to you at all times, then candy loses a lot of its enjoyment factor.
Similar thing goes with these KSP 2 update videos, if they happened every week, they wouldn't be as special, and probably they wouldn't be as enjoyable either.

10 minutes ago, SciMan said:

Just an honest question here. Why is it that everyone expects something "literally every week"? It's not like they'll be able to show us progress in the game's coding without potentially revealing core game details that they probably want to save-off for until much much much closer to launch.

I don’t know, but the release schedule for content is once every two weeks. Unless I have lost track of time, which I probably have there won’t be one until next week.

25 minutes ago, SciMan said:

Just an honest question here. Why is it that everyone expects something "literally every week"? 

We don't. The schedule that was set was "literally every other week." We've been getting morsels on a schedule now for some time. Devs mentioned the schedule at one point (can't find the post), so we all showed up expecting the usual tidbit and found nothing. We'll survive, I guess.

It's probably 'cause of Thanksgiving coming up. They might be saving up to release a seasonal video then. I'm happy any way they go. I've always thought of the videos and posts as a nice extra/gift thing anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check the dev diary channel. :) 

I highly recommend comparing the terrain footage from the last feature video and the footage that Eric posted this morning. He's been going like gangbusters on optimizing and refining the terrain system and all that popping that was happening before has just sort of gone away. And it's FAST. The dude is amazing!

6 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

I highly recommend comparing the terrain footage from the last feature video and the footage that Eric posted this morning. He's been going like gangbusters on optimizing and refining the terrain system and all that popping that was happening before has just sort of gone away. And it's FAST. The dude is amazing!

To be completely honest, I almost cried. It was just that beautiful!

2 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

To be completely honest, I almost cried. It was just that beautiful!

I'm currently stuck on phone and can't get to a monitor, but all that worrying geometry pop-in looks solved! Fantastic work!

11 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

It’s a great dev diary!

Spoiler

I was secretly hoping to see y’all announcing something at TGA :)

Are there any big reveals coming soon TM?

Not in any way hyped about KSP2, and I urge caution to everyone who is.

Some people are setting such high standards for this game, it can only fail to meet them, even if it does turn out to be a truly amazing experience, and only disappointment can follow.

So I suggest everyone just calms down, takes a deep breath, enjoys the videos when they are released, and wait until they actually have a chance to see the game proper, before deciding it's gonna be the greatest thing since KSP1.

What, launching this December, with the most recent delays being not the fault of JWST, but the Ariane 5 rocket contracted to launch it? :P

Look, I get that JWST got delayed a lot, and that people like to use it as an example of bad program management because of that. Really I do. However, it's actually an example of excellent flexible program management, because instead of throwing up their hands and letting the program get canceled, they stuck with it and made the changes they needed to to keep making progress on it until it was (finally) ready to launch.

However, comparing it to a game is like comparing apples and oranges for many reasons, not least of which that KSP 2 is being developed by a private enterprise that loves what they do, and that JWST was a wholly government-funded project and so expecting it to stick to its deadline is like expecting pigs to fly. On the other hand, considering the amount of budget over-run on JWST, some would say that pigs are in fact flying when JWST finally does launch (as many now consider it to be a pork project).

Personally, I'm just glad that both JWST and KSP 2 are finally at a point in development where the point of culmination of all that effort is finally in sight. I'm a fan of space, and I think that more ways to get into space is always better, so long as the laws of physics say they can work.

I'm also a fan of having a new game to play, and KSP 2 is one that I look forward to playing. I'm sure that it won't live up to some people's expectations, as there are always a few that expect the game to do things that just aren't practical to program given the time constraints, but I'm relatively certain it will live up to my own expectations, as I don't consider myself to be one of those people.

Really, so long as KSP 2 doesn't require me to fly every logistics flight to its destination when I'm doing colonization things, I'll probably have a lot of fun playing it.

And if the game doesn't live up to my expectations? Well, I guess I could start making mods for KSP 2 so that it becomes what I want it to be.

This game has been a long wait in the making, but I've been going over all the updates that have been given to us, and boy is there a difference between when we first got a look at the game to now! It gives me hope that they're actually going to deliver us a product within the current time frame they set.