KSP2 Hype Train Thread

I'm guessing we'll see a release that comes just in time for Xmas. It's enough time for them to advertise and get the word out, and it's in that goldilocks time frame several games tend to release on in time to make a boat load for the holidays so execs can boast to shareholders. Guessing October-November.

28 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

I'm guessing we'll see a release that comes just in time for Xmas. It's enough time for them to advertise and get the word out, and it's in that goldilocks time frame several games tend to release on in time to make a boat load for the holidays so execs can boast to shareholders. Guessing October-November.

I gotta wait that long??!??!

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Vl3d, as much as a lot of us love that GIF it's going to be removed for photosensitivity reasons.

Happy Good Friday!

Edited by Ahres
Is Good Friday a happy thing though?

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Given how large and informative the last feature vid was; I wouldn't expect much today... other than:

TGIF!

What the heck is TGIF

11 hours ago, siklidkid said:
12 hours ago, Zaffre said:

9 minutes ago, Ahres said:
10 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

What the heck is TGIF

:joy: oh boy there's a generational knowledge gap if I ever saw one.

People nowadays seem to have also forgotten the art of patience :)

14 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

What the heck is TGIF

13 minutes ago, Ahres said:

:joy: oh boy there's a generational knowledge gap if I ever saw one.

My Gen Z kids also asked me (a few years ago) 'what is a dictionary' and 'what is a phonebook'?  (I was trying to explain how much paper would be necessary to stop a bullet)

Some things are just lost to history, I suppose.  (Like needing a dime to make a pay phone call)

11 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

People nowadays seem to have also forgotten the art of patience :)

I don't even think it's generational. Most of the least patient people I encounter are over 40. Just the times, I suppose.

Edited by Pthigrivi

Just now, Pthigrivi said:

I don't even think it's generational. Most of the least patient people I encounter are over 40.

Haha. Because your clients and mine are older rich folk that want their projects done and want them done yesterday.

Well, I guess I am part of Generation Z and often prefer to have stuff on paper, so I guess that is a good sign, right? Why are they going for Greek letters as the next generation labels (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, etc.)? In Microsoft Excel, when you reach Z, it goes AA, AB, AC, and so on.

wy cnt ppl 2day jus spell out words? 

Hey, I'm Gen Z and I know (and even used once or twice I think) phonebooks, and loved the heck outta my visual dictionaries and other books. Now it's the Oxford Dictionary. Tell ya what, it's absolutely surreal (and concerning) seeing just how much stuff has changed. As for the other lil tangent, I still don't know what TGIF is other than the name of some old restaurant that I think went outta business. ANYWAY--

13 hours ago, siklidkid said:

I wish I had to worry about that. I have the opposite problem; time passes by way too fast and this chap is getting left lying in the middle of a dusty road. :(

11 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

The one thing is I’ll be really bummed if if I can’t get it to work on parallels or boot camp. Thats my biggest worry.

I have several worries, but I am curious how well (or poorly, rather) it's going to run, and if they'll ever add the likes of Mac compatibility. While I've moved from using a Mac as my main station, not having Mac availability would alienate a portion of the current userbase. I remain unconvinced that this isn't going to be a heavy game to run.

My other worries are in regards to always-online DRM, subscription fee, and a lot of gameplay being different than imagined. Getting hyped is dangerous, and a lot of what I've seen and heard sounds a little too good to be true. I've been burned before.

9 minutes ago, Zaffre said:

always-online DRM, subscription fee, and a lot of gameplay being different than imagined

If you want to play solo or just with a few friends (with optional mods) Nate basically confirmed there is not going to be any DRM.

But for a BIG multiplayer experience I would actually require stock gameplay only + DRM.

Subscription fee for MMO... it depends. I think I'd rather pay 60$ up front and later buy some DLCs.

Edited by Vl3d

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

If you want to play solo or just with a few friends (with optional mods) Nate basically confirmed there is not going to be any DRM.

But for a BIG multiplayer experience I would actually require stock gameplay only + DRM.

Subscription fee for MMO... it depends. I think I'd rather pay 60$ up front and later buy some DLCs.

Mmm. I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to hope this game will go without a hitch but chances are there's going to be a catch somewhere.

Heh. Back in the day you could get new stuff for $40 a pop without needing DLC. Sometimes less. Could even grab used games for peanuts. Now stuff's getting to be over $60 just for the initial purchase. Then we got all this DLC shtick. Bah.

It's a ~50 million dollar game, what do you expect? I mean, there's always the value per dollar of No Man's Sky... even Cyberpunk / RDR give you a lotta game for their on-sale prices.

Edited by Vl3d

10 hours ago, Zaffre said:

Heh. Back in the day you could get new stuff for $40 a pop without needing DLC. Sometimes less. Could even grab used games for peanuts. Now stuff's getting to be over $60 just for the initial purchase. Then we got all this DLC shtick. Bah.

I have seen it convincingly argued that the price point for AAA games should actually be around $100-$120 now at least, keeping up with inflation since 2005. And of course that is technically what we see, as developers are constantly having to slice off more content from the main game, so they can sell it to you separately as DLC. You typically can't get the full experience with just $60 anymore. I think this is where the industry is going to keep heading, and the whole NFT thing is making me nervous...

10 hours ago, Vl3d said:

It's a ~50 million dollar game, what do you expect? I mean, there's always the value per dollar of No Man's Sky... even Cyberpunk / RDR give you a lotta game for their on-sale prices.

Yes, some devs know how to get it done, and I would argue that the value/dollar is far greater with so many more small/indie dev titles as well.

That NMS turn around was not expected based on it's state on release. They ended up packing a ton more content in there, essentially making it a whole new game, and for free too. Granted, if they had charged for it, I am sure the game would have failed with how mad people were initially.

Man, does anyone remember the concept of an "expansion pack"? lol

Edited by fleventeen
I swear sometimes. Sue me.

17 hours ago, fleventeen said:

I have seen it convincingly argued that the price point for AAA games should actually be around $100-$120 now at least, keeping up with inflation since 2005. And of course that is technically what we see, as developers are constantly having to slice off more content from the main game, so they can sell it to you separately as DLC. You typically can't get the full experience with just $60 anymore. I think this is where the industry is going to keep heading, and the whole NFT thing is making me nervous...

Yes, some devs know how to get it done, and I would argue that the value/dollar is far greater with so many more small/indie dev titles as well.

That NMS turn around was not expected based on it's state on release. They ended up packing a ton more content in there, essentially making it a whole new game, and for free too. Granted, if they had charged for it, I am sure the game would have failed with how mad people were initially.

Man, does anyone remember the concept of an "expansion pack"? lol

It's all "we need to keep up inflation," yet you won't see employee wages and benefits won't so much as budge, lol. Then there's the whole thing that games these days are easier to make than ever with the experience, documentation, tools, courses, etc, that are all out there. Heck, most of the money with such media these days doesn't go into development, it goes into things like advertising. With some stuff you can get a full bag, but there's an alarming amount where that isn't the case. I wouldn't worry about the NFT crud, at least not for KSP 2. I don't see it playing out.

The third-party/indie scene has a LOT of content to offer and often at a greater value/dollar, if that's what we're really going to be using as a metric. Not always mind you, but there is at least a more diverse selection.

I'm curious if we'll see names like Charles Pellegrino and Jim Powell (designers of the Valkyrie antimatter starship and assistants in designing the ISV Venture Star from Avatar) or Ken Burnside show up in the credits.