KSP2 Hype Train Thread

6 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:
18 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I'm just going to say that I believe the delay confirms there are going to be public game servers.

I don't follow the logic

Well Nate said there's tremendous technological complexity. We've seen what KSP2 = KSP1 + Mods looks like as a single player experience. That has been previously done by the mods out of good will and individual hard work. KSP2 took it and evolved the logic of it. So I don't think that's where the remaining works is (even including colonies). So probably the  technical complexity is generated by multiplayer features. So clearly I'm thinking of the work being done on server infrastructure.

Edited by Vl3d

15 minutes ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

2023 delay confirmed. I just wish they could pick a time and stick with it. 2023 is fine, 2024 is fine, just annoying to keep getting my hopes up and then having to wait another year.

NO WAY

1 hour ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

2023 delay confirmed. I just wish they could pick a time and stick with it. 2023 is fine, 2024 is fine, just annoying to keep getting my hopes up and then having to wait another year.

Well technically speaking it's been officially slated for fiscal year 2023 which extends into the first part of 2023, so it's not actually a delay, just a narrowed window to the latter portion of the fiscal year. But thats splitting hairs a bit. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well technically speaking it's been slated for fiscal year 2022 which extends into the first part of 2023, so it's not actually a delay, just a narrowed window to the latter portion of the fiscal year. But thats splitting hairs a bit. 

Only if you actually think they are going to stick to "early 2023."

2 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well technically speaking it's been slated for fiscal year 2022 which extends into the first part of 2023, so it's not actually a delay, just a narrowed window to the latter portion of the fiscal year. But thats splitting hairs a bit. 

Just a quick correction - you are talking about Fiscal year 2023 here. Fiscal year 2022 ended in roughly April 2022. This isn’t the typical fiscal year so it’s easy to get it mixed up, but for any fact-checkers, KSP 2 is releasing in FY 2023. 

1 minute ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

Only if you actually think they are going to stick to "early 2023."

Well if they do push it past early 2023 it will then be a delay. Splitting hairs, but technically this particular announcement is not a delay. 

1 minute ago, t_v said:

Just a quick correction - you are talking about Fiscal year 2023 here. Fiscal year 2022 ended in roughly April 2022. This isn’t the typical fiscal year so it’s easy to get it mixed up, but for any fact-checkers, KSP 2 is releasing in FY 2023. 

Yeah, thanks, I switched my dates. Officially slated for FY 2023 and still in FY 2023.

20 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well if they do push it past early 2023 it will then be a delay. Splitting hairs, but technically this particular announcement is not a delay. 

Isn't it already a delay?  In "KSP 2 to be released in 2022"  Nate just said it is delayed to 2022 and that's it?

4 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Isn't it already a delay?  In "KSP 2 to be released in 2022"  Nate just said it is delayed to 2022 and that's it?

Yeah, I suppose thats true. Looking at the title of that thread any normal person would think 2022 means calendar year and not reference T2's fiscal calendar. So yeah, a 3 month delay based on wide expectations.

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

What do you mean "delay"? The release date was always open to landing in 2023 as discussed many times before.

For people who knew that. A thread pinned to the top of this forum that said” KSP 2 will be released in 2022” is kind of important for setting expectations. ;)

2 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

What do you mean "delay"? The release date was always open to landing in 2023 as discussed many times before.

So, a conformation.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Nah it was open to landing in FY2023 as provided by guidance to investors. It was slated for calendar year 2022 as listed on their forum, Steam store page, etc. It is a delay from what was previously expected as consumers, but still falls within the financial guidance provided to investors.

1 hour ago, Catto said:

So, a conformation.

17 minutes ago, PopinFRESH said:

Nah it was open to landing in FY2023 as provided by guidance to investors. It was slated for calendar year 2022 as listed on their forum, Steam store page, etc. It is a delay from what was previously expected as consumers, but still falls within the financial guidance provided to investors.

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

It is a delay. The steam store page said 2022, this forum says 2022, they told us it would be 2022. It wasn't until only a few months ago that they said (in investor guidance) that it would be FY 2023, and given 2022 includes some of FY 2023, that made it sound like late 2022.  Prior to today, there was not a single official source that would suggest KSP 2 would release any later than December 2022. The fact that "financial guidance to investors" left the door open to 2023 is not salient because of course they gave themselves lots of extra room on the investor deadline. Anyone with half a brain who doesn't want to get sued won't promise investors anything they don't have to. Therefore: the release was originally scheduled for 2022. And now it is scheduled for 2023. And that is after 2022, so the game is being delayed.

And I just hope they finally learned their damn lesson and gave themselves some breathing room on that deadline, because the number of times the release date has gone from "a few months away" to "just about a year away" is pretty frustrating.  Early 2020 gets pushed to late 2021 gets pushed to early 2022 gets pushed to late 2022, gets pushed to early 2023. Like, are they actually gonna be done in 9 months? Or are they just going to need to delay it another 6 months and then another? Starting to feel like vaporware at this point. At least if they said 2024 I could close this tab and forget about the game until then. But instead they keep telling us it's just around the corner.

I'm not impatient, I'm okay with waiting, but I'd appreciate an estimate that isn't permanently stuck at "6-9 months away."

1 hour ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

I'm not impatient, I'm okay with waiting, but I'd appreciate an estimate that isn't permanently stuck at "6-9 months away."

That makes sense, but how about an estimate that is stuck at 6-9 months away but delays get increasingly smaller and the estimate gets increasingly specific and solid? Like the one we saw today, where the period shifted by 3 months instead of 6, the actual period got cut in third, and the evidence that this is the final shift is very strong. 

3 minutes ago, t_v said:

That makes sense, but how about an estimate that is stuck at 6-9 months away but delays get increasingly smaller and the estimate gets increasingly specific and solid? Like the one we saw today, where the period shifted by 3 months instead of 6, the actual period got cut in third, and the evidence that this is the final shift is very strong. 

the delay is to early 2023, they haven't set a release date or anything, it's just as vague as when they said it was early 2020. As for the estimates getting closer together, early 2020 was announced in August of 2019. I see no evidence that this is the final shift, when it looks almost identical to the very first shift.

3 minutes ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

the delay is to early 2023, they haven't set a release date or anything, it's just as vague as when they said it was early 2020. As for the estimates getting closer together, early 2020 was announced in August of 2019. I see no evidence that this is the final shift, when it looks almost identical to the very first shift.

The last delay was sometime fiscal year 2022 which actually encompasses the first several months of 2023. I don’t see this as a delay. I see it as a conformation that they are still on track for the tail end of fiscal year 2022. 

1 minute ago, EngineeringWaffle said:

I'm not disagreeing with remaining reasonably scekpticable and keeping your expectations tempered, however, there has at least been progress shown as to what is being worked on since that original delay. Anyone familiar with agile development will tell you "deadlines" are not part of the process. Unfortunately they do still have to kinda take a best effort guess at a timeline for the sake of us, the public, and for their publisher/investors. I think "all of 2022" was a pretty reasonable guess back when they announced that delay back in Nov 2020 given that they were simultaneously moving things to the new studio and dealing with covid limitations.

I'd also not be surprised if it subsequently gets pushed back to spring or summer 2023, however, given that they've gone from a 2 year guesstimate down to a 3 month guesstimate after spending 18+ months making progress since the previous delay I'd say they at least are much more informed in this estimate than they were 18 months ago.

12 minutes ago, Jacob_Orth1 said:

The last delay was sometime fiscal year 2022 which actually encompasses the first several months of 2023. I don’t see this as a delay. I see it as a conformation that they are still on track for the tail end of fiscal year 2022. 

You mean Fiscal Year 2023, which for Take Two is from April 1st 2022 - March 31st 2023. Their Fiscal Year 2022 was from April 1st 2021 - March 31st 2022.

1 hour ago, Jacob_Orth1 said:

This is the crazy delay-denial I'm objecting to. Literally they never said fiscal year 2023, except in investor things. And since end of 2022 is the same as the beginning of FY 2023, it wasn't a delay. It was just a unit conversion. Obviously investor stuff is all about fiscal years and fiscal quarters, so obviously they wrote the fiscal year of the release date, not the calendar year. The delay happened today, and there was previously no evidence that it would release after December 2022. If the steam page said "Coming soon: Fiscal year 2023," you'd be right and this would not be a delay. But that isn't the case.

Let me put this a different way: If cyberpunk was slated for a November 2022 release, and some marketing material said "November 2022" and other marketing material just said 2022, and the financial papers said Fiscal year 2023, when is the game scheduled to come out? Obviously November 2022. And if the game release was then pushed to December, would the game have been "delayed" until December? Of course that would be a delay. Just because some of the marketing material is still correct, or just because it's still in the release window provided to investors doesn't mean the game isn't delayed. Also: literally they themselves called it a delay.

The game was supposed to come out this year. It is now not coming out this year. QED: it's been delayed.

Argue that the delay is a good thing, or tell me that you think this is the last delay, whatever, but can we at least all agree that the game has, in fact, been delayed? Remember how the steam page said "coming 2022?" and now it says "coming 2023?" That's what happens when a game is delayed.

18 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah, thanks, I switched my dates. Officially slated for FY 2023 and still in FY 2023.

This isn't even splitting hairs; it's just not true. We were told it would release in late 2022, which is contained within FY 2023. Changing from 2022 (within FY23) to 2023 (within FY23) is still a delay.

Edited by joratto

26 minutes ago, joratto said:

This isn't even splitting hairs; it's just not true. We were told it would release in late 2022, which is contained within FY 2023. Changing from 2022 (within FY23) to 2023 (within FY23) is still a delay.

Keep reading, I do agree with you. For a lot of us talkin here we all hoped it would be out before Christmas but given the fiscal year thought it might slip into 2023. But you’re right, given some of the statements about 2022 I can see why any reasonable casual observer would call this a 3 month delay. It just depends on what your expectations were and where you take your grains of salt. 

I have to set deadlines and give ETAs all the time in my job, and the thing is the world is a chaotic place and you have to be squishy sometimes. If I give an exact date thats the date and I only give it when I feel pretty confident in it and its got some padding for the unforeseen. Sometimes though (especially these days) all we can say is “in 2-4 months”. Now if if that was the estimate and it goes to 5 months thats pushing it but within bounds. If it goes to 7 or 8 months we’ve got explaining to do. So yeah, I even take next march with a grain of salt and wouldn’t be shocked if it slipped later into the spring. Its not a firm date. Its just a good-faith estimate. 

Edited by Pthigrivi