KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Nah, probably Nertea did not finish the article on time. Look at how short his last point was.. about "who parts". :sticktongue: But all the love for Nertea and the article is great! He mentioned rotational magnetic fields.. we could be getting space weather.

On 6/29/2022 at 9:28 AM, Ryaja said:

DON'T QUESTION IT!!!

Sorry about this in advance, but I have multiple parts of my psyche voting to question something, without fail, every single time someone says "don't question it".
I'm outvoted.

My inner contrarian is saying "You can't tell me what to do!", and wants to question it. This is the weakest one.

My inner cynic is saying "If they don't want me questioning it, they're trying to hide something, figure out the truth of the matter!", and wants to question it.
EDIT: Given recent events [snip]. this part of my psyche is speaking louder than usual right now, and in any case it doesn't take much to get me to listen to this part of me.

My inner comedian is in agreement with my inner contrarian, and is saying "Not doing what I'm told can be funny sometimes, let's see what happens!"

To counter this, the Patient part of myself is saying "Your patience has been rewarded, even if it wasn't on the schedule predicted by others", and will not question the timing, as new news will be released when it is released and not a moment before or after, even if that was not the developer's plan.

Another counter to this, my inner Logic is saying "This is not enough data to form a theory, it isn't yet worth thinking about the timing being off", and instead of outright saying that it will or won't question it, is intentionally withholding judgement until more data is available.
I hope that we all know that many conspiracy theories form when insufficient evidence meets the desire to see something go the way you want, and that desire is not snuffed out by lack of evidence. Here I know I don't have enough evidence for a new trend (yet).
Awaiting further input. . .

On the whole, I'm gonna question it, but not because i should. At the same time I don't know what to make of it. It's probably something like what @Vl3d said, "didn't get the thing finished quite in time".
As far as the reason for that, I don't think I have to reach very  far to find something suitable. Chris was simply too busy working on more important things, like oh I don't know, "making KSP 2" :P

Edited by Vanamonde

1 hour ago, SciMan said:

Sorry about this in advance, but I have multiple parts of my psyche voting to question something, without fail, every single time someone says "don't question it".
I'm outvoted.

My inner contrarian is saying "You can't tell me what to do!", and wants to question it. This is the weakest one.

My inner cynic is saying "If they don't want me questioning it, they're trying to hide something, figure out the truth of the matter!", and wants to question it.
EDIT: Given recent events in US politics and that I'm a US citizen, this part of my psyche is speaking louder than usual right now, and in any case it doesn't take much to get me to listen to this part of me.

My inner comedian is in agreement with my inner contrarian, and is saying "Not doing what I'm told can be funny sometimes, let's see what happens!"

To counter this, the Patient part of myself is saying "Your patience has been rewarded, even if it wasn't on the schedule predicted by others", and will not question the timing, as new news will be released when it is released and not a moment before or after, even if that was not the developer's plan.

Another counter to this, my inner Logic is saying "This is not enough data to form a theory, it isn't yet worth thinking about the timing being off", and instead of outright saying that it will or won't question it, is intentionally withholding judgement until more data is available.
I hope that we all know that many conspiracy theories form when insufficient evidence meets the desire to see something go the way you want, and that desire is not snuffed out by lack of evidence. Here I know I don't have enough evidence for a new trend (yet).
Awaiting further input. . .

On the whole, I'm gonna question it, but not because i should. At the same time I don't know what to make of it. It's probably something like what @Vl3d said, "didn't get the thing finished quite in time".
As far as the reason for that, I don't think I have to reach very  far to find something suitable. Chris was simply too busy working on more important things, like oh I don't know, "making KSP 2" :P

It was a joke, because we want the devs to give us information anytime not just Fridays. AKA sarcasm.

Edited by Ryaja

KSP 2 doesn't even make it on IGN's "TBA"  Upcoming PC Titles 

Video Game Release Dates: Biggest Games of 2022 and Beyond - IGN

Sure, if you search IGN for KSP2, you get a page that shows TBA 2022...

Kerbal Space Program 2 - IGN

but... well...

Edit:

In other places, IGN writes:

KSP 2 was originally due out in 2020, before being delayed to Fall 2021 and again to 2022. (UPDATE: It's once again been delayed, this time to early 2023.) ...

The problem is that they're not even bothering to update their own page with KSP2 info they have... 

Are we really going to give a __ about IGN? It's among the least trustworthy gaming related sites, by the time the game released, their review is going to give it a 3/10 because there's no shooting and spaceflight takes too long.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Are we really going to give a __ about IGN? It's among the least trustworthy gaming related sites, by the time the game released, their review is going to give it a 3/10 because there's no shooting and spaceflight takes too long.

My point is that the sites that report about games don't have anything accurate / anticipatory about the release window. 

I don't disagree with you about the quality of IGN (and would add 'not a console game and other pejoratives) 

I'd just think that a studio with a marketing department and a definitive window (1Q 2023? 1H 2024?) would have let game news sites have that info and be sure it was getting out to fans. 

(Don't forget - we, here, are a voluntary captive audience... But there are far more people with wallets out there that might want to buy the game then there are those of us who camp these forums... And they are the target of game news sites) 

The marketing department isn't exactly reaching out to anyone because so far there's no marketing. And all interviews and such in the near past were all intiated by the journalists rather than by marketing team at PD.

With that said, like you said, IGN has this date in at least one place, but doesn't in other - because this whole site is made out of many many people, not exactly always cooperating with each other (I think I remember a time when there were two reviews of the same game, or one review, and a mention in another article, which were exact polar opposites), all very much subjective and based on author's personal preferences. Too bad IGN seemingly has no control over who writes these reviews, so it's not unusual when someone who hates open world rpgs writes a review of open world rpg.

Regardless, it wouldn't be the first time when a game I was interested in didn't appear on such list, because, who knows, the author didn't know about it coming, or didn't care.

And also, doing marketing now, when the release date isn't firm/keeps getting pushed back, would be counterproductive: it would give the impression that it really is about to come out, so additional delays after that would just leaving a bad taste by building up the hype, making for a bigger let down from another delay. Plus any visibility/name recognition in the general game world will just die back down and have to be rekindled again when the release finally comes (and forum dwellers here are going to get it anyway, and even if on the fence, the marketing isn't going to be what sways the decision), so it just ends up as money and goodwill burned to no real effect or, at worst, a net negative.

Plus it's okay, I figured it out: my laptop is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point, to the point where I am concerned about how well KSP2 will even run on it, and the devs are very kindly waiting for me to upgrade to something that can run it really well, and they are using that time to make sure that the game is truly up to its full potential and well polished. I apologize for the wait, but they assure me that it will be worth it for everyone.

I really, really want to pre-purchase KSP2. The game looks AMAZING, and even if it is beyond all but my monster of a desktop, it will be worth it.

Even just a little.

As Fry once said:

ubZvy4C.jpg

Perhaps a pre-alpha build to mess with and break maybe?

Edited by Mekan1k

8 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You've spent too much time reading the 'Multiplayer, I wants it' thread.

And designing battleships in KSP1 using LunaMultiPlayer. And reading through the old Naval Battle Club threads.

War is not something that has a place in a game like KSP (or by extension, KSP 2), despite the existence of mods that attempt to shoehorn it in (to varying degrees of effectiveness).

Because if you have to worry about war, you'll never get to the real thing the game was designed for, which is exploring both the Kerbol and other solar systems.

Think about it. How far would you get if you have to worry about someone else even just accidentally crashing into your carefully constructed orbital stations and ground colonies and the vessels that are on automated supply routes?

With a sufficiently determined opponent, it would be relatively trivial to make sure you don't get anywhere.

See IRL, it's taken us just about 50 years to even get to the point where we can think about re-visiting the Moon with humans. Yeah, 50 years JUST to re-visit the moon.
Not Mars, not any other planets, literally the closest non-Earth celestial body that we know of.
[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

8 hours ago, SciMan said:

That's apparently all we can manage, because we're so busy with all these dang wars and other sorts of conflicts in the world.

Didn't NASA receive peak funding due to the cold war with the USSR? After the USA won the moon landings and hence 'space supremacy' people stopped caring about the soviet threat(in the avenue of space exploration) and the budget was cut. We then entered a space progression lull before commercialization picked up traction this decade. Had the cold war not happened its likely the moon landings would have happened much later. Major conflict drives accelerated innovation often.
But I do agree its probably not the route KSP2 should take when it comes to informing motive or gameplay :D
It could be fun with a bunch of friends that you know well however, at least you can just laugh shenanigans off and set boundaries for whats acceptable so they don't blow up a serious mission. :p 

On 7/12/2022 at 7:18 AM, SkyFall2489 said:

And designing battleships in KSP1 using LunaMultiPlayer. And reading through the old Naval Battle Club threads.

Combat in KSP2:  Why go to all the trouble of blowing up your own spaceships when you can get someone else to do it for you?

We're supposed to be expecting something?

We're pretty much waiting for a baby to be born. We know approximate time of delivery and we've had few gender reveal parties (feature videos). Waiting for another kick isn't exactly interesting.