KSP2 Hype Train Thread

There are different sizes of rocks, above a certain size they are collidable. There's no way for them to be random for different players or something, because otherwise a friend could suddenly see your ship stuck in a big rock that wasn't there when you landed. This needs to be hardcoded.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

There is no proof supporting my inference for believing MP to be the source of delay... But no proof I'm wrong either. 

I think the real culprit behind all these delays is the lack of really good soup options in the studio cafeteria.

I'm not saying that's the case, just that I'm 99.999999% sure it's a fact and that you have no proof I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I should start a new topic like this to discus this very realistic theory:

8M4sEaM.png

Well played, Sir. 

Well played. 

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

There are different sizes of rocks, above a certain size they are collidable. There's no way for them to be random for different players or something, because otherwise a friend could suddenly see your ship stuck in a big rock that wasn't there when you landed. This needs to be hardcoded.

Das pontificated about this - but nothing about rocks or trees locations being hard coded. 

25 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I should start a new topic like this to discus this very realistic theory:

8M4sEaM.png

The holdup isn't just the lack of soup, it's the lack of French Onion soup. Y'know how in the latest dev insights they mentioned localization, well they do that via international soups, just pop the soup into the code and boom! it's localized. They just can't have it adapted to the French market due to the lack of French onion soup!

So first off thank you @Ahres for posting a link that led me to the full video but I've been listening to this off and on for the last few days while doing lighting design at work. Id like for a moment to dig into a detail about the kerbal language that can be discerned at 3:47:20: Kerblish is not Spanish recorded backwards, nor phonetically backwards, but written backwards and then pronounced by a Spanish speaker. This is evidenced by the single syllable "Zeid", two rather than 3 syllable "Eteis", and "Ohco" rather than "Ocho". I think that would make the last thing we hear in the countdown "Ragepsed"If that’s what Im hearing I humbly submit this be canonized. 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/476783314?filter=all&sort=time

Edit: If, impossibility, this un-sung voice actor/actress is reading this, in the name of Spanish speakers everywhere and Scott Manley continue to go ahead and soft-roll (or hard roll!) them R’s. These little choices aren’t just adorable but make the whole game experience feel so human. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

9 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

One of the things they talked about is with the collidable scatter is persistence.  Scatter generally isn't persistent.  Seed sharing wasn't discussed, IIRC.  But again - the folks invited to the showing mostly got "game in progress" type answers, and there was a LOT of speculation. 

You can ignore me... I'm just griping. 

I'm certain I'm not appreciating all the details, but still, I think a solution exists in using a common, and as you note, a persistent seed.  It just doesn't seem horribly complicated from here anyway

3 hours ago, Serenity said:

I like how the slow stream of new information leads to some very interesting and extremely in depth analyses of various subjects that otherwise would be sideswiped from the hype.

So i guess there is always a uhhh bright side to everything...

I like how polite your use of the word 'analysis' is!

Oh look, scatterFdB7VQmXkAIXTxY?format=jpg&name=large

I just want to note on the subject of this image that the skybox looks quite a bit darker than in some of the images of ships in deep space. I can still see the nebulae but not as much. There is also some sort of post-processing going on since the color balance is different from other things we have seen. If this is an image from the game and there is an easy way to add custom post-processing effects, that would be huge. 

29 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

What was wrong with the original poodle?

Well the original-original (pre-revamp) poodle just didn't resemble a vacuum optimized engine. In the KSP2 trailer and a few other videos we see the un-revamped model. I think this is the first time we've seen the dual-nozzle version in KSP2. 

13 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well the original-original (pre-revamp) poodle just didn't resemble a vacuum optimized engine. In the KSP2 trailer and a few other videos we see the un-revamped model. I think this is the first time we've seen the dual-nozzle version in KSP2. 

Nothing changed!

Regolith without rocks is definitely a thing, just like sand dunes on Duna and Kerbin desert without 19361 cactuses on it. Scatter doesn't have to be super dense everywhere. And that big rock was probably the cause of lander on the side.

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

I have noticed the scatter in these screenshots always seems to be in the distance and none up close. Maybe just coincidence/location. 

That is for people like me.  Too much scatter, randomly collidable, in the place where I want to land... I'd be lucky to have a landing like that above 

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Wrong.

syY6QlV.png

Oh there it is! Nice :)

Regolith without rocks is definitely a thing, just like sand dunes on Duna and Kerbin desert without 19361 cactuses on it. Scatter doesn't have to be super dense everywhere. And that big rock was probably the cause of lander on the side.

Yeah and Im sure this is tied to performance and everything else but there's a fine balance between non-colidable scatter like small stones and grass and things like boulders and trees that will make rover traversal a huge hassle. You absolutely want scatter to be variable--denser here, sparser there--and that should be related to both frequency and scale. These last couple of screenshots seem a little light on that smaller scale, non-colidable, regolith-detritus kind of layer that blends the terrain and makes everything feel more natural. 

Like take a look at this early test-run on some of this stuff. Most of these images show a really nice gradient between bigger and finer-grain objects:

Edited by Pthigrivi

59 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh there it is! Nice :)

Yeah and Im sure this is tied to performance and everything else but there's a fine balance between non-colidable scatter like small stones and grass and things like boulders and trees that will make rover traversal a huge hassle. You absolutely want scatter to be variable--denser here, sparser there--and that should be related to both frequency and scale. These last couple of screenshots seem a little light on that smaller scale, non-colidable, regolith-detritus kind of layer that blends the terrain and makes everything feel more natural. 

Like take a look at this early test-run on some of this stuff. Most of these images show a really nice gradient between bigger and finer-grain objects:

It is interesting how the scatter and color of the mun is different from what we've seen before, I think this is a biome we havent seen yet?