KSP2 Hype Train Thread

I honestly wouldn't hold too much weight to the whole pre-alpha/alpha thing, this is a small studios first game, they likely don't have an objective measurement of when the game is pre alpha/when it is alpha because basically everyone involved likely knows what state the game is in therefore the label doesn't have much of a managerial need. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:16 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

You know... now I'm worried about the 'random generation' thing.  If you successfully land a rover amidst randomly generated scatter, where 'rocks above a certain size' are collidable, what happens the next time you load into that area?

Will the rocks be in the same space?  Or is it possible that once the system 'unloads' the area and has to reload (whether via a save or a subsequent landing) do the 'rocks above a certain size' get randomly distributed again?  This brings up a possibility of rocks clipping into a previously landed ship - or even bouncing/knocking over the thing you managed to land or left the last time you were here.  

So many questions!

Ummm... this picture doesn't say "Pre-Alpha Capture"

On 9/23/2022 at 4:12 PM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

That's a really old photo; it's been on the website since, like, forever. If you look closely, the windows are even tinted gold because they didn't have the see-through windows done yet.

Umm... 

https://imgur.io/a/yaHIFph

G-dDPNgIfzKH9VH8UAy0PD-1HO-AdfP2bpmvb3Bb

I'm not up on the photo lore... But this ship looks familiar. 

Is this also an 'old photo'? 

I know there are plenty of exceptions and it's not always true, but a good rule of thumb is that the artistic value of a game's graphic department and it's photorealism and technical level are inversely proportional.

Not for some technical reason, just because it's usually the small studios that can't afford the tech that focus on the art and the big studios focusing on photorealism which is more "neutral" than an inspired, maybe even cartoonish or caricatured, art style.

Since KSP1 lacked in both departments (not much in art style but I'm its consistency) I hope they focus more on the art.

For an example of an AAA game which is not photorealistic but has a great graphic department and it's wholly focused on the art style look at Sea Of Thieves.

13 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm not up on the photo lore... But this ship looks familiar. 

Is this also an 'old photo'? 

As far as I know, that picture was originally from a PC Gamer article way back in 2020. I think that ship is one of their "demo models" they use to show things off without giving away too many new parts. It's also been in the original cinematic trailer and a show and tell about orbital launch clamps.

16 hours ago, Master39 said:

For an example of an AAA game which is not photorealistic but has a great graphic department and it's wholly focused on the art style look at Sea Of Thieves.

Don't forget games like Outer Wilds, that game is nothing but artistic.

16 hours ago, Master39 said:

Since KSP1 lacked in both departments (not much in art style but I'm its consistency) I hope they focus more on the art.

Outlines are used for parts in the VAB part selection list, so I have no doubt they're trying to look more artistic this time.

:unsure:

Should my hype be heightened or diminished a bit? I just noticed that Nate Robinson (not Nate Simpson) left as Senior Producer for Intercept Games and is now at Epic Games.

Not sure if I should be more hyped if they felt they were at a point in production that the role was no longer needed or if I should be concerned that someone like him left so shortly after the delay announcement.

1 hour ago, PopinFRESH said:

Should my hype be heightened or diminished a bit? I just noticed that Nate Robinson (not Nate Simpson) left as Senior Producer for Intercept Games and is now at Epic Games.

Not sure if I should be more hyped if they felt they were at a point in production that the role was no longer needed or if I should be concerned that someone like him left so shortly after the delay announcement.

Wow, he left in July, good call. I don't want to try to read into someone's personal decisions too much so I'm going to be neither pessimistic nor optimistic about this info.

Incidentally, his LinkedIn also says that he started at Star Theory in March 2018; does that imply when KSP2 was greenlit?

Nah, the game was in production since late 2017, or at least in the concept phases. Team was probably looking for a producer, as now they're still looking for other positions.

And people move on from projects to projects, from companies to companies all the time, regardless if something is finished or not - because first and foremost thing is what's best for a person.

3 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Wow, he left in July, good call. I don't want to try to read into someone's personal decisions too much so I'm going to be neither pessimistic nor optimistic about this info...

Concurred. I don't tend to read into individuals moving about the industry either. I believe when Take Two started up Intercept Games it was Nate S. Nate R. and Jeremy A. that were the principal staff responsible for standing up the studio so it was just a bit surprising to see he departed before KSP2 was done.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

...And people move on from projects to projects, from companies to companies all the time, regardless if something is finished or not - because first and foremost thing is what's best for a person.

Also concurred. I wasn't intending to add commentary on why he left nor add any judgement of him for leaving. Was just noting that when someone like him in a senior role that was foundational in standing up the studio that it might adjust my hype meter a bit.

32 minutes ago, PopinFRESH said:

when someone like him in a senior role that was foundational in standing up the studio that it might adjust my hype meter a bit.

For comparison, HarvesteR, the creator and leader of KSP project left some years ago. Didn't stop the game from being developed until last year. I'm sure KSP2 is still in good hands today.

Hell, I bet even if Nate Simpson moved on, the rest of the team is still passionate enough to deliver the game on time in good condition.

But back to Nate R...

This exists.

Edited by The Aziz

7 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

I guess some people already know it, but I found this interesting post:

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?t=1456963

There a a lot of good arguments in there.

Just from the first point it stands out, as usual, that the most vocal people against Unity are players that know nothing about games development.

Nothing new here, not even 20 lines in and he's already blaming Unity for KSP1 not scaling well with performance instead of the fact that it wasn't developed by professional game developers in the first place.

Obviously, there are good games made with Unity, but that's actually a fallacy of equivocation.

And then he proceeds to being stuck between blaming the engine or game developers. Not providing better examples (UE games can be crappy too) and not acknowledging the fact that both KSP and C:S work to some extent with as many calculations as they make, says something about the engine.

And the guy was pretty much wrecked with arguments to the point the thread died. There's nothing wrong with Unity, it's only perceived as crap because many small devs use it for their first games (and in most cases you can tell if a game was made in Unity because without any changes to rendering, all games do have that Unity Look™)

To become the CEO of a huge globalist company you need to be a psychopath. At least a sociopath, but normally those get the 2nd rank positions and will be delegated by the psychopath. People with morale and decency cannot stay there. Not for long.

Literature that fits:

Andrew M. Lobaczewski
Political Ponerology: A Science on the Nature of Evil Adjusted for Political Purposes
Rzeszów, 1984

On 9/26/2022 at 1:20 AM, PopinFRESH said:

Should my hype be heightened or diminished a bit? I just noticed that Nate Robinson (not Nate Simpson) left as Senior...

Almost had a mild freakout over reading that Nate Simpson had left. I'm glad I misread it. I have confidence Nate will deliver a great product since he loves Kerbal as much as we do. It's hard to say that about many games or products. Hoping we can get the goods before the world completely falls apart...