KSP2 Hype Train Thread

1 hour ago, Rutabaga22 said:

Thx! 

I don't think they would just share that with someone without sharing somewhere else first.

I asked them stuff like that in the past when they had posted "working on feature vid" type things. They always responded. 

5 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Doesn't look so bad to me. I think they're going for a mix of Enceladus and Triton look

m3ECsPY.png

Honestly, I look at the top of the new image you showed, and it looks a bit frosty.  Could be a rocky / icy mix with some cryovolcanism in places... maybe?

3 hours ago, BronzeShoe20968 said:

Its mostly everyones line y'know

*everyone's

In all seriousness though I'm not sure why you are bothering me about an in-joke from three years ago that you have no context for. Just as a hint, you can look to the left and take note of the section just below my profile pic.

Though Im pretty sure that they accidentally mislabelled tylo as Vall, we've seen a more metallic moon of Jool in the past and in the same thing we've seen Vall in ksp2 previously with a design way closer to its current one in ksp1. It seems weird for them to completely redesign a planet mid development considering the previous Vall looked good.

(The Vall that we have previously seen)

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582cf9.jpg(

(In the same video the only Jool moon we dont get a clear shot of is Tylo and we also see this moon, which looks to be the metallic core of a planet or something like that, which would be fitting for Tylo considering its a dense high gravity moon). 

6xcAVVt.png

Edited by Strawberry

42 minutes ago, Strawberry said:

It seems weird for them to completely redesign a planet mid development

Have you seen old Mun? Eeloo? Or anything else? Pretty much everything was changed mid development. The first Vall from your post is pretty much exactly what we have in KSP1,  maybe with some exaggerated heightmap and better lighting. A placeholder, if you like.

And the bottom picture looks very much like the latest one, dark-ish, shiny body with some deep craters. And we know that Vall is shiny.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Have you seen old Mun? Eeloo? Or anything else? Pretty much everything was changed mid development. The first Vall from your post is pretty much exactly what we have in KSP1,  maybe with some exaggerated heightmap and better lighting. A placeholder, if you like.

And the bottom picture looks very much like the latest one, dark-ish, shiny body with some deep craters. And we know that Vall is shiny.

The thing is we see the metallic Jool moon on episode 3, where we see this photo of what looks much more like what we've seen of Vall in the past in episode 4. The metallic moon we've seen in the past was shown earlier then the shot of what looked to be landing on Vall, its possible that we're just seeing two sides of the same moon, however I doubt it. From what we've seen of Vall its far more white then the most recent photo. 

m3ECsPY.png

28 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I think that what @Strawberry is saying is that the bottom picture is Tylo, which may have been redesigned into a metallic moon, in the style of Psyche (which I think would be really cool). I will admit that the topography of Vall, with its frozen basins separated by mountains, doesn’t look very similar to this new image, with large craters and rough terrain in between. Though I seriously doubt there was a moon mix-up, so this is very likely the new look of Vall. 

Does anyone know where the wide out shot from Vall with the red putt putt comes from? Im pretty sure that photo is recent (considering the look of Jool matches what we saw in the recent show and tell) however I cant find the source of where its from, Ive looked through all of the videos at this point and I just cant find it. 

Nevermind was just from the website,  though they've generally kept the spirit of planets that theyve redesigned and it seems really weird to swap a smooth low gravity ice world with a cratered metallic moon. I'd be shocked if this isnt just a mislabeling. 

Edited by Strawberry

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I'm not going to teach about surfaces looking different in different lighting contidions, (like idk, wet road in the middle of the day vs near sunset) because that's obvious, but even if you take away that...

wxNZsdV.jpg

I feel like there is a huge misunderstanding here. Those two images are of the same moon, and I don’t think anyone is questioning that. What I’m saying is that it is a departure from the topography of this moon from the same video:

ss_7f7fad7e387f9267d48640edd0dd71cbb2582

At least one of those moons is Vall, and the newer one looks very similar to another moon that doesn’t really resemble Vall in terms of terrain (not talking about color/reflectivity/lighting here). 

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I don't know, they seem to be keeping planets and moons the same as ksp 1 and completely changing Vall's topology would be weird.

8 minutes ago, Rutabaga22 said:

I don't know, they seem to be keeping planets and moons the same as ksp 1 and completely changing Vall's topology would be weird.

Yeah the topography is often more refined but they haven’t seemed to radically depart from the spirit of a body. Vall seemed pretty clearly to be an icy world with mountain ranges. My guess is this was a mistake by the poster. Even thematically if you’re going for spooky Tylo is what you’re after. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Why all are so fixated on the metallic part? It still looks icy to me. You know, reflecting light at certain angles, at others not so much. Maybe it's ice mixed with something else. Remember Charon, Pluto's buddy? It appears gray, and it's made of ice. And don't start the change of topography because Mun. Yes it's still gray, and has craters, the rest is new. Vall can still be shiny and made of ice, the only two things connecting both versions. Even the landing screenshot isn't suggesting blue color. Plus, the picture you're posting is very old, and here's one of equally old Mun: qWwYxFN.png

I haven't seen a mountain range on Dres or shiny red surface on Pol either in KSP1.

Look, I'm not saying it can't be Tylo, but unless you call out the community managers for a possible mistake, I stand by my words. I'd expect Tylo to be more varied in color palette, not plain gray. And remember, Minmus is now ceramic.

Edited by The Aziz

Vall is rocky grey, the planet weve seen is clearly metallic. This isnt a change in geography, this is a massive shift in theme, minmus's ceramics fits with the theme of "small and messy moon with solid oceans", the theme of Vall is "moon with flat plains of ice" and in the picture we have seen we dont really see any ice, we just see textured craters all made out of the same material (which appears to be an iron/nickel substance, which would fit if it was the core of a planet).