KSP2 Hype Train Thread

YEEHAW
Things I took away: 
• I forgot PC Gamer is based in the UK; they had the release date listed as Feb 23 (Wait, does that even make sense? Isn't GMT ahead of the US?)
• In multiplayer, you can join a group of friends and make a space agency to work together, against other agencies, it sounds like
• Automated delivery routes can even be interstellar :O
• Nate seems to have suggested that multiplayer is the thing that caps off the 1.0 version of the game, implying whatever's left on the roadmap after that is DLC

What else did I miss? I was pretty distracted by the children in the chat spamming stuff about ARK2 or something

EDIT: PC Gamer has an article quoting Nate from the interview, specifically about space agencies, and they even shout out @Vl3d as potentially predicting correctly how multiplayer works!
https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-is-going-to-let-you-have-competitive-multiplayer-space-races/

EDIT THE SECOND: Another article about the portion of the interview on colonies: https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-director-explains-why-colonies-are-going-to-change-everything-lays-out-early-access-plans/

Edited by whatsEJstandfor

Wish we had gotten more new footage instead of a lot of repeat footage, but what we did get is pretty good.

New tires - The formula 1 car had new tires that aren't in KSP 1

Custom wings - They have a large size, a very large size. I mean, those canards were massive. 

New pod? - I think I noticed a new command pod that hasn't been seen in other footage before.

Shame, was expecting to see some more gameplay that wasn't trashed by such an awful bitrate. Some of my takes, focusing on the things I didn't like / would like to see improvements on. Keep in mind, this is extremely subjective.

-I extremely dislike how many of the UI elements (specially in the VAB) are not snapped to the border of the screen

-I'd like some (or most) of the in-flight UI elements to be movable, or at least have the modding capabilities to do so. For instance, I'd love to freely move the navball around, or have the staging to my left like it is on KSP1.

-Navball is unnecessarily cluttered. The ball itself is too small compared to the space of the UI element itself, and the altitude, velocity and heading indicators should be shrinked 30-40% to increase navball visualization (literally, you can't even read the degrees on it. Atmo density, V-vel and throttle should be snapped to the main circle. 

-Really hope SOI visualization has got a toggle in settings. Same goes for the unnecessary  huge GO button. Spacebar works just fine. It takes zero effort.
(And same goes again for the Kerbals miniature. I don't need to see all 22 of my kerbals's face all the time. Do like KSP1 and have you move through them with an arrow to avoid screen clutter.)

-In-flight staging UI seems to take a LOT of space because they decided to space every single stage item and have 50% of it's size be the Stage number itself, which could be definitely smaller. Just want to prevent having to scroll 6km when building actual big rockets/ships.

-Some of the clips showed awful FPS in atmosphere on crafts with low part counts

-Upcoming EVE-Redux volumetric clouds made me feel weird about KSP2's clouds.
I'm sure they could do infinitely better and have different quality presets in graphics config. I'm hoping that is the case and that what we've seen so far are just low settings for the sake of dev testing

49 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

YEEHAW
Things I took away: 
• I forgot PC Gamer is based in the UK; they had the release date listed as Feb 23 (Wait, does that even make sense? Isn't GMT ahead of the US?)
• In multiplayer, you can join a group of friends and make a space agency to work together, against other agencies, it sounds like
• Automated delivery routes can even be interstellar :O
• Nate seems to have suggested that multiplayer is the thing that caps off the 1.0 version of the game, implying whatever's left on the roadmap after that is DLC

What else did I miss? I was pretty distracted by the children in the chat spamming stuff about ARK2 or something

EDIT: PC Gamer has an article quoting Nate from the interview, specifically about space agencies, and they even shout out @Vl3d as potentially predicting correctly how multiplayer works!
https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-2-is-going-to-let-you-have-competitive-multiplayer-space-races/

EDIT THE SECOND: Another article about the portion of the interview on colonies: https://www.pcgamer.com/kerbal-space-program-director-explains-why-colonies-are-going-to-change-everything-lays-out-early-access-plans/

There you go

4 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Can someone post the link for the VOD for us unlucky stiffs who have to work and can't watch things live.

Edited by Gurkonier

1 minute ago, Xelo said:

s.png

Is it just me or is there no part rotation mode now? :0 
Other then that it looks pretty cool.

I think I see it at the bottom middle, to the right of the blue highlighted placement mode 

Just now, t_v said:

I think I see it at the bottom middle, to the right of the blue highlighted placement mode 

Oh, I thought that was the translation mode :c , the other two modes are also a bit ambiguous I suppose.

I think there are many possibilities.

He said we can work together as one agency.

We could make a space race with multiple agencies.

But we also can work together as multiple agencies and cooperate with each other. So like one specializes on transportation and another one on colony building.
Or different players specialize on different ressources or star systems.

So i think you can play multiplayer the way you like it the most.

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

So they’ve confirmed multiplayer to be an MMO with an economy and battles?     Blech. Not the game I want. 

Hopefully there will be dedicated private servers for the people who don't want to deal with the MMO mess.

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

So they’ve confirmed multiplayer to be an MMO with an economy and battles?     Blech. Not the game I want. 

I didn't hear anything about battles? I don't think we'll see any sort of war mechanic. The only competitive thing mentioned was a 'space race', so who can get to space / other planets first.

1 minute ago, shdwlrd said:

Hopefully there will be dedicated private servers for the people who don't want to deal with the MMO mess.

I think it will be more like minecraft multiplayer. You can host a multiplayer game locally, or host a server. And all with your own rules.

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

No its just speculation by the person who wrote the article. All that was definite was the fact you could play in seperate space centers, emulating a space race (or together in the same KSC).

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

No, just that you can either join a group agency to cooperate or compete as you like. There'll be separate launch facilities for different agencies, but nothing on how many players per group or per server. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I'm so hyped for the colony resource and trading routes! Imagine designing proper vehicles for mining resources instead of mining ore the same way you extract oil :^s 

Just imagine the mods, the possibilities... This could be the next factorio

Edited by Vanamonde

32 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

N̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶h̶i̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶M̶M̶O̶;̶ ̶I̶̶̶'̶̶̶m̶̶̶ ̶̶̶n̶̶̶o̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶s̶̶̶u̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶w̶̶̶h̶̶̶e̶̶̶r̶̶̶e̶̶̶ ̶̶̶y̶̶̶o̶̶̶u̶̶̶ ̶̶̶g̶̶̶e̶̶̶t̶̶̶ ̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶a̶̶̶t̶̶̶.̶̶̶ Edit: I had only seen the stream when I wrote this post. I now see that the article mentions "MMO", but as others have pointed out, this seems to be speculation by the author or the article, not directly from the interview with Nate.

All that was really said is that there will be the option for players to work for different agencies as well as the option to work cooperatively for the same agency. Factorio also has this option with different forces having separate tech trees, for example, but this is all still within the private client-server paradigm. If this counts as an MMO, the term is almost meaningless. I don't see where the "massively" part comes in.

Edited by Ashandalar

On 11/16/2022 at 10:30 AM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm a bit leery of expecting too much 'new'.  Judging from past shows, as part of a longer 2023 Preview, KSP2 will get only a short segment.  Maybe 2 minutes not counting whatever words they get from Nate.  Usually, it's a trailer.  Sometimes you get a bit of gameplay.

The team's gonna want to highlight what's possible in the game - so I'd expect a broad array of images designed to communicate what KSP2 will be to audiences that aren't 'us.'  Like the 'potential new player' person.  Perhaps a new trailer?

I'd wait for the next installment of whatever they release with an Arecibo message before anticipating a whole lot of 'hey KSP fans, here's the development update' with new stuff for us to analyze. 

Okay - I was wrong. 

In a very good way. 

I think some here will be very happy with the explication of MP, Resource Management and Colonies, and seeing all the procedural wings in use in crafts and Kars.  I really did not think they would be as open and optimistic about the future progression of the EA - they were solid on MP and colonies and while I'd have liked more on the Science Progression slice - hearing about MP, Agencies (Space Races!) and that some of the aspects of the Resource Management system might be 'Satisfactory - lite' ish (my own interpretation) was cool! 

2 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

: PC Gamer has an article quoting Nate from the interview, specifically about space agencies, and they even shout out @Vl3d as potentially predicting correctly how multiplayer works

Yeah - I kept thinking about how I doubted KSP2 would be anything like @Vl3dwas writing about... Now I really have to read the article!

GJ prognosticators! 

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

I did not get that - there are only 4 launch pads - so I am still thinking Realm type servers rather than MMO open world (private server not general MP) 

/PureSpeculation! 

55 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:
3 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Yeah - I kept thinking about how I doubted KSP2 would be anything like @Vl3dwas writing about... Now I really have to read the article

Considering the predictions ranged all over the place, I’m not sure what exactly was confirmed.   Taking the Nostradamus approach seems to work I guess.   Predict everything and eventually you’re right.   But if it is as they repeatedly predicted an MMO with an economy and space battles, I don’t think I’ll be getting into it. 

3 hours ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

-Upcoming EVE-Redux volumetric clouds made me feel weird about KSP2's clouds.
I'm sure they could do infinitely better and have different quality presets in graphics config. I'm hoping that is the case and that what we've seen so far are just low settings for the sake of dev testing

I agree with this. The clouds in the game right now look not ghat good compared to some of the stuff you see in mods. At the same time, it is early access. The game is probably going to look completely different but 1.0, so I don’t think we should be too worried

5 hours ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

Nate seems to have suggested that multiplayer is the thing that caps off the 1.0 version of the game, implying whatever's left on the roadmap after that is DLC

What about 1.1? Nobody said development ends there, and it rarely does these days.

And a lot in both articles aren't direct quotes, so I'm taking that with a truckload of salt. I mean the only groundbreaking discovery of today was the co-op and space race modes of multiplayer. Nothing else.

1 hour ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

The clouds in the game right now look not ghat good compared to some of the stuff you see in mods.

Cool. But they still look better than they do in stock KSP1, right? That's all that matters.