KSP2 Hype Train Thread

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So they’ve confirmed multiplayer to be an MMO with an economy and battles?     Blech. Not the game I want. 

I finally got a chance to read the PCG article - which is, ultimately, nothing more than a restatement of the NS interview from the video... With a completely speculated bit by the author about Vl3d's post. 

NS said what he said - and anything other than that was guesswork 

4 hours ago, BowlerHatGuy3 said:

I agree with this. The clouds in the game right now look not ghat good compared to some of the stuff you see in mods. At the same time, it is early access. The game is probably going to look completely different but 1.0, so I don’t think we should be too worried

Hmm I think the clouds themselves don't look any better in the mod than the clips we've seen. It's the lighting I think that's much clearer. 

1 hour ago, Laikanaut said:

But beyond that, the confirmation that the first version will be like "sandbox" (direct quote) and learning that career-type features aren't planned until much later, I think this game will be pretty boring for a long time, since I don't enjoy KSP sandbox, or any other sandbox game, or science mode either, which is the next feature.

Well we've got all new planetary surfaces and lots of new parts, new UI to learn. I feel like I'll have plenty to do trying to check out the new Kerbin system before the progression update kicks in. 

8 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Hmm I think the clouds themselves don't look any better in the mod than the clips we've seen. It's the lighting I think that's much clearer. 

Well we've got all new planetary surfaces and lots of new parts, new UI to learn. I feel like I'll have plenty to do trying to check out the new Kerbin system before the progression update kicks in. 

And i the biggest improvement will be the new architecture of the game, which should allow us to build structures as big as the ones shown in the trailer. At least Nate Simpson said that they will work fine with an average pc. 

This will enable new possibilities for players and for modders. Imagine trying to build the interstellar ship with the shipyard in KSP 1.

Edit: You actually don't need to imagine that. ShadowZone tried that in his trailer remake and it didn't work at all.

Edited by Gurkonier

1 hour ago, Gurkonier said:

And i the biggest improvement will be the new architecture of the game, which should allow us to build structures as big as the ones shown in the trailer. At least Nate Simpson said that they will work fine with an average pc. 

This will enable new possibilities for players and for modders. Imagine trying to build the interstellar ship with the shipyard in KSP 1.

Edit: You actually don't need to imagine that. ShadowZone tried that in his trailer remake and it didn't work at all.

stating just reference for people that just glance a "avg gaming pc" has using steam software survey

• windows 10
  • 16gb of ram
  • at least 2.3 ghz cpu
  • 6 core
  • Gtx 1060 
  • (8 Gb VRAM) with 6gb close by 2%
  • 1080p.

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

stating just reference for people that just glance a "avg gaming pc" has using steam software survey

• windows 10
  • 16gb of ram
  • at least 2.3 ghz cpu
  • 6 core
  • Gtx 1060 
  • (8 Gb VRAM) with 6gb close by 2%
  • 1080p.

That should be more than enough for KSP2... should be. Of course, that cpu clock is base and not boost. KSP1 loves ghz, and no doubt KSP2 will as well. A 4.5+ ghz boost will probably be the sweet spot.

22 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So they’ve confirmed multiplayer to be an MMO with an economy and battles?     Blech. Not the game I want. 

As I read it not an MMO as in WOW. rater an team game there an group of friends can play in the same space program or in multiple with different launch sites. 
Resources on Kerbin would not be shared, but as I understand it you could trade. 
No mention of combat but you could always crash an probe into enemy or do an driveby burn with an Orion pulse nuclear 
HG5fkekh.png
But imagine its an honor system a lot like common in Conan exiles, its an PvP game but its common standard that base attacks are not allowed outside of prime time. 
And I don't think you can categorize an probe controlled craft as junk for some sabotage. 
I kind of suspect you have to rent an server for multiplayer as an way to monetize.  
No idea how mods will work, hopefully you and have an required list and UI mods hopefully don't count. 

16 minutes ago, SSTO Crasher said:

Is it possible that ksp2 could work on laptop

Sure, but it has to be an high end or an gaming focused one, the cheap one you get from schools, no and you probable is not able to install stuff on them either unless you swap out the HD with your own :ph34r:

8 hours ago, Stephensan said:

• at least 2.3 ghz cpu

This is an absolutely meaningless number without at least saying what year it's from. Sorry, it's one of my pet peeves that people still think GHz can be used on its own as a measurement of processing power

35 minutes ago, TLTay said:

Did you want... um... different laws of physics?

Within the KSP universe, that is a reasonable request to make, as people have made different laws of physics such as with n-body gravitation and more realistic aerodynamic simulation. As long as we don't regress and make the physics even more inaccurate to reality, the only real consideration is whether it is a good choice for gameplay. Given the problems that people have with wheel physics in KSP 1, it might be concerning that the wheels appear to be behaving the same. We can only hope that the problems have been resolved, and the similar behavior doesn't mean similar bugs. 

PC Gamer just posted the full interview

PERFORMANCE TALK - 15:10

Inverviewer: "What kind of performance should we expect?"

Nate: There have been significant advances in multithreading over the last ten years and we are utilizing a lot of those tools Unity gives us to paralelize these processes so that they can take place all at once in a way that doesn't impact framerate. There's Unity jobs, there's compute jobs, rigid body physics uses a job system, the PQS system uses both CPU and GPU optimization, there's a huge amount of highly technical stuff I can't say, but really what it boils down to is: we expect the experience on mid tier machines to improve because we want people to be able to build vehicles with high part counts. That's in fact necessary when we get to the interstellar part of the progression, but of course, everytime we make that sort of improvement there will be a commensurate improvement with the people with the very high-end machine, so if you got the fancy equipment it will have a multiplicative effect on the performance of the game. But yes, overall this is the area where we're seeing the biggest gains week on week in the lead up to Early Access, the game just gets more performant every day and we just keep, you know, raising our targets in terms of what kinds of part counts we want to support, so if you've been watching the footage we've been releasing over the last few months, you've probably noticed footage from three months ago so it can be a little bit herky-jerky in terms of frame rate but we're seeing big improvements there.

Those are indeed encouraging words for what expectations many have got for the game's initial performance upon Early Access release. I'm still keeping my own expectations leveled, but if KSP2's first month of EA can keep up to Nate's words here, it will be huge news :)

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Lots of good info in that interview. 

Some keynotes I noticed:

-Colonies behave just like regular parts. You build too tall, and they will topple over. 

-Framerates are expected to be a lot better at larger part counts

-Colonies will be started from modules you bring with you, so no colony from resources you bring with you it sounds like, unless I misunderstood.

-The Kraken has NOT been slain, but instead has been "Keeping to itself". Nate says he hasn't encountered it.

-The Nerv engine now uses liquid hydrogen and has a new big brother called "Serv"

56 minutes ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

PC Gamer just posted the full interview

PERFORMANCE TALK - 15:10

Inverviewer: "What kind of performance should we expect?"

Nate: There have been significant advances in multithreading over the last ten years and we are utilizing a lot of those tools Unity gives us to paralelize these processes so that they can take place all at once in a way that doesn't impact framerate. There's Unity jobs, there's compute jobs, rigid body physics uses a job system, the PQS system uses both CPU and GPU optimization, there's a huge amount of highly technical stuff I can't say, but really what it boils down to is: we expect the experience on mid tier machines to improve because we want people to be able to build vehicles with high part counts. That's in fact necessary when we get to the interstellar part of the progression, but of course, everytime we make that sort of improvement there will be a commensurate improvement with the people with the very high-end machine, so if you got the fancy equipment it will have a multiplicative effect on the performance of the game. But yes, overall this is the area where we're seeing the biggest gains week on week in the lead up to Early Access, the game just gets more performant every day and we just keep, you know, raising our targets in terms of what kinds of part counts we want to support, so if you've been watching the footage we've been releasing over the last few months, you've probably noticed footage from three months ago so it can be a little bit herky-jerky in terms of frame rate but we're seeing big improvements there.

Those are indeed encouraging words for what expectations many have got for the game's initial performance upon Early Access release. I'm still keeping my own expectations leveled, but if KSP2's first month of EA can keep up to Nate's words here, it will be huge news :)

I'm sure everyone's said this a lot in the last 3 years, but I wanted to say again how lucky we are that @Nate Simpson is leading this project. Someone who appears to truly get what made KSP1 so appealing. Even with the delays and everything, I always get comforted knowing that Nate and his team have poured passion into KSP2. Imagine what mediocrity was dodged by T2/PD not giving this project to a studio that didn't have their hearts in it. I fully believe that whatever form KSP2 ends up taking after EA is done and it's feature-complete, it will be the best it can be, because it's being made by the best possible people for it.

7 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I'm sure everyone's said this a lot in the last 3 years, but I wanted to say again how lucky we are that @Nate Simpson is leading this project. Someone who appears to truly get what made KSP1 so appealing. Even with the delays and everything, I always get comforted knowing that Nate and his team have poured passion into KSP2. Imagine what mediocrity was dodged by T2/PD not giving this project to a studio that didn't have their hearts in it. I fully believe that whatever form KSP2 ends up taking after EA is done and it's feature-complete, it will be the best it can be, because it's being made by the best possible people for it.

Every game that gets handed over to someone that once was a player/modder ends up evolving magically well. It is key that the people leading a game project knows first hand how the community feels.

I really hope that having the game itself becoming their work and obligation doesn't get rid of their passion for playing and enjoying it once calmer times come after EA and 1.0 releases :)

Edited by MARL_Mk1