KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 11/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, Scarecrow71 said:

One thing I really dislike about KSP1 is the complete inability to find smooth terrain to land on, whether that's on Mun, Duna, Laythe, or even back on Kerbin.  We have the ability to planet-hop at will...but we can't scan the surface and find a decent, flat spot to land on?  It's all guesswork in spite of the computing power?  Are you honestly telling me that there is nothing available in the technology Kerbals have come up with to find a nice spot to set up for a picnic?  This bothers me to no end.

What Im hoping for is the ability to scan for altitude and slope maps the way you can in SCANsat, maybe even scatter density. If you could see these as overlays you could either mark a smooth area in map mode or even guide your descent more intuitively toward safe ground. Same with biome and resource maps—these should really be overlays both in map and flight mode. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

Incredibly excited for the game. 90 days is not a long time at all. There was a time where KSP2 was just a distant hope and curiosity in my mind, and here we are with a playable starting point that’s coming before the end of winter.

I also think we’re vastly underestimating how cool just the new Kerbolar system alone will be, even if some elements are still in the works. We get to see what a ring is like! Weather! Maybe volcanism! New surface textures and features to visit! Collidable scatter! Cool atmospheric effects! Some bodies that have been redesigned from the ground up! Even just a KSP remastered would have been the bees knees, and that’s essentially what we’re getting here.

Edited by TheTennesseeFireman

25 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

So, now that we know the early access date, what about the time :D :D 

I'm guessing it'll be US time, and the Dev Diaries and Show and Tell stuff used to come out at 4 or 5pm UK time. So will it likely be that time that the game is released?

It will most likely be 11AM/12PM CST/EST. Usually is. 

17 minutes ago, Xelo said:

ksp2.png?width=1084&height=683

Felt it was appropriate to mark the occasion :p 

Nice.

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

So, now that we know the early access date, what about the time :D :D 

I'm guessing it'll be US time, and the Dev Diaries and Show and Tell stuff used to come out at 4 or 5pm UK time. So will it likely be that time that the game is released?

Whatever is the release time in different storefronts. On steam it's usually 10AM PST, or so google says, dunno about others. If it was on consoles on day 1, it would release at midnight local time.

1 hour ago, Xelo said:

ksp2.png?width=1084&height=683

Felt it was appropriate to mark the occasion :p 

You better add moar boosters as it gets closer

On 11/25/2022 at 10:12 AM, Strawberry said:

it seems weird for there to be two nuclear thermal rockets of the same size where one is just NERV but tweakscaled and the other one is one with unique afterburning and nozzle mechanics, as the former will just be forgotten as the latter is way more versatile to use. 

Maybe if they're different engines, then the SWERV is a gas or liquid core NTR instead? That would add a level of difference where the NERV-US has the efficiency of the NERV but larger and with an afterburner, and the SWERV has higher efficiency but can't match the NERV-US in thrust or atmospheric performance.

On 11/24/2022 at 5:12 PM, Scarecrow71 said:

So, I didn't see or find a topic asking what everyone wants to see in KSP2, even though I know one has to exist somewhere (and where I've probably posted at some point).  So lacking the ability to find that this morning, I'm posting this here.

One thing I really dislike about KSP1 is the complete inability to find smooth terrain to land on, whether that's on Mun, Duna, Laythe, or even back on Kerbin.  We have the ability to planet-hop at will...but we can't scan the surface and find a decent, flat spot to land on?  It's all guesswork in spite of the computing power?  Are you honestly telling me that there is nothing available in the technology Kerbals have come up with to find a nice spot to set up for a picnic?  This bothers me to no end.

With that said, I hope that in KSP2 we get the ability to scan the surface of a celestial body and get a list of possible landing sites.  No more landing sideways, or on an incline.  No more guessing if you'll hit land or water.  Even the most basic of landers in the early days of Earth spaceflight had the ability to look out the cockpit windows and go "Yeah, that looks pretty flat there".  And if this isn't in the base game, I sure hope someone builds a mod for it.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now!

I agree, one tricks I learned was to use mechjeb landing autopilot and jump landing position  10 meter in any direction and see if elevation changed much. But that is pretty clunky. An much better tool would be an derivation of height map changes, preferable with an metrics of surface roughness as in large rocks in the landing zone. 
Talking about large rocks, its known surface deformation is not in but the ability to remove large rocks would be nice for making an road or landing field.