KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Just now, MechBFP said:

....wut?

I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

mods made everything for ksp2 channels completely open for visual sight for a few minutes, and called it technical difficulty's, there is no reason for it to happen at all, changing roles access, adding roles etc, no reason for those roles being leaked. (as if it mattered for me anyway) 

Just now, MechBFP said:

I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Looks like a feedback channel among some other content that wasn't supposed to be public showed up and then was quickly corrected. I think Stephensan is complaining about their apparent inability to properly set up the Discord server.

12 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

Mods cannot do anything correctly on the discord, there should been no reason for it to happen even in changing who sees or not.. just yoinked all of there "hidden channels" due to them unlocking them temporary  for seeing...

stuff has changed, and what not, but i think they really need to do rolls there, having "one role for the masses" completely ruins everything if you need change some roles real quick. etc.

why would do that tho.

mgnMaeY.png

The mods can't do what correctly, again?

Just now, Stephensan said:

mods made everything for ksp2 channels completely open for visual sight for a few minutes, and called it technical difficulty's, there is no reason for it to happen at all, changing roles access, adding roles etc, no reason for those roles being leaked. (as if it mattered for me anyway) 

If it doesn't matter, then does it matter?

Just now, Stephensan said:

I don't see how that's noteworthy.

8 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah everyone thinks that and I think you're all wrong haha. The core of the vessel is 3.75m, the gold tanks are 5, the top of the adapter is back to 3.75, and the engine is 2.5.

Huh, you seem to be right. Here's a more straight on view to confirm. Very interesting...

9pfdIYc.png

6 minutes ago, i dont know how to forum said:

Huh, you seem to be right. Here's a more straight on view to confirm. Very interesting...

This also seems to confirm that the spherical tank here has 3.75m attachment points. I wonder if we'll get different sized inline spherical tanks; maybe there will be an even bigger 5m one. We've seen much larger radially attached spherical tanks on interstellar ships as well, but I doubt we'll see those at early access launch.

Edit: Actually, now that I look again, they might even be 2.5m attachment points. Raises the question of why there's a 3.75m adapter attached to it... it looks like maybe there's some other 3.75m part in there? Can't quite tell.

Edited by i dont know how to forum

4 minutes ago, i dont know how to forum said:

This also seems to confirm that the spherical tank here has 3.75m attachment points. I wonder if we'll get different sized inline spherical tanks; maybe there will be an even bigger 5m one. We've seen much larger radially attached spherical tanks on interstellar ships as well, but I doubt we'll see those at early access launch.

I also hope the spherical tanks will come in foil versions. I love having my deep space landers looking like a box of ferrero rochers. 

20 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Something to do with tutorials?

Yeah, probably. A show and tell all about them?

20 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Perhaps a feature video?

We already discussed that possibility, it's unlikely given how close the last one is. Plus, it seems like they wrapped up the feature video series(in my opinion.)

Edited by Missingno200
In MY opinion!

3 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah everyone thinks that and I think you're all wrong haha. The core of the vessel is 3.75m, the gold tanks are 5, the top of the adapter is back to 3.75, and the engine is 2.5.

VnJCE3b.png

How are you even supposed to launch something like this?  Should be easy on a Mun colony but a single launch for something so large might not even be possible given the build limitations they have in place now. And it's been said that everything they're showing right now is going to be buildable in early access so this isn't from unreleased content. Also doesn't look like it's been assembled in orbit so how does such a large vehicle get built?

Just now, Minmus Taster said:

No points where the sections could have been connected like large docking ports, just one solid structure from what I see.

There's what appears to be a pair of coupled 3.75m docking ports just behind the solar arrays, but launching the rear section here still seems like it would be quite a challenge. This particular craft was very likely cheated into orbit and was not launched at all, but I do wonder how we're going to get craft using parts like the spherical tank here into orbit at EA launch. Maybe we'll get a 5m fairing? That would help at least partially, though you'd need some very heavy launch vehicles.

1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

What happened to orbital VABs?

I doubt they'll be available at EA launch, given they're likely tied to orbital colonies.

59 minutes ago, i dont know how to forum said:

Maybe we'll get a 5m fairing? That would help at least partially, though you'd need some very heavy launch vehicles.

Very heavy launch vehicles are actually very easy in stock KSP. Using the mainsail, skipper, vector, rhino and stock tanks I've been able to get 300 tonnes into LKO. (Practically speaking, there's no need to put something that heavy into orbit in one launch with stock KSP. But never stopped us from trying and doing.)

Edited by shdwlrd

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Very heavy launch vehicles are actually very easy in stock KSP. Using the mainsail, skipper, vector, rhino and stock tanks I've been able to get 300 tonnes into LKO. (Practically speaking, there's no need to put something that heavy into orbit in one launch with stock KSP. But never stopped us from trying and doing.)

Fair enough. I mean, if you have enough thrust, who even needs fairings? Just Mars-94 that thing straight into orbit. 

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Well, there was no reason to launch 300 tons in KSP 1. In KSP 2, it now makes sense to launch 300 tons of something like fuel into orbit to fuel your interplanetary or interstellar ships. Or to launch a 300 ton part of the ship. 

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

You do realize I said, "Without special equipment." Because it's true. A millimeter is about the thickness of your fingernail, give or take. Now imagine your fingernail cut into 10 pieces so they're sub-millimeter. That's how small a sub-millimeter is. That tiny amount of movement is not perceivable by most people without a microscope or at least magnification glasses. So putting sub-millimeter movement on parts is ridiculous and no human, imo, can do that in game, even if they use the offset tool and a DPI mouse set so low they're cursor takes years to move. 

My argument is not absurd. 

Sorry GF, I gotta say something here as a professional machinist.  

It is very common, by sight and or touch, to be able to differentiate different sizes/placements of things by as little as .0005” (.0127mm).    I do this everyday.    I look at a part, I see something on the piece, I touch it, yup there’s a half a thousandths step there, and THEN I go grab a measuring device to see what the exact measurement is to make adjustments.     

It really is situational though.   If you’re lining up construction lumber, you’ll be hard pressed to not call a 1/32” step even and deal with it.   But freshly machined steel, yeah .0127mm bumps stand out like a sore thumb.    It’s not unreasonable to expect a rocket ship to have fit tolerances of +/- .075mm.  

But all that said, having submil tolerances for the parts in game is absurd.    We don’t need tolerances.    It’s a fictional world.   If something is said to be 3m across, then it’s exactly 3.0000000000m across.  And all other mating pieces are the same size, so they’ll fit perfectly every time.     

13 hours ago, GoldForest said:

You do realize I said, "Without special equipment." Because it's true. A millimeter is about the thickness of your fingernail, give or take. Now imagine your fingernail cut into 10 pieces so they're sub-millimeter. That's how small a sub-millimeter is. That tiny amount of movement is not perceivable by most people without a microscope or at least magnification glasses. So putting sub-millimeter movement on parts is ridiculous and no human, imo, can do that in game, even if they use the offset tool and a DPI mouse set so low they're cursor takes years to move. 

My argument is not absurd. 

Edited by Gargamel
Stupid double post bug