KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Just now, tstein said:

I don't care for the marketing, but a few daily screenshots per weekday would have been a nice boon.

It's interesting to see that instead of promotional things for KSP2 there are actually more tribute videos for KSP1 popping up before EA launch. It's like people are more emotional about saying goodbye to the first game than having reasons to be be hyped for the sequel. Just my opinion.

5 minutes ago, tstein said:

I don't care for the marketing, but a few daily screenshots per weekday would have been a nice boon.

We should get something today, I think. I've noticed a pattern that the sneak peeks that are posted in Discord happen about every 2 to 3, maybe 4 days apart from each other. So, I'm kind of expecting something today or tomorrow. 

Just now, Vl3d said:

It's interesting to see that instead of promotional things for KSP2 there are actually more tribute videos for KSP1 popping up before EA launch. It's like people are more emotional about saying goodbye to the first game than having reasons to be be hyped for the sequel. Just my opinion.

Of course there is. This game is what, 12 years old now? It has a thriving community, people who are dedicated to the game, people who love and respect the modders, the devs, the admins and mods on the forums. KSP 2 is both a happy and sad time. KSP 1 is ending. We are getting KSP 2, yes, but everyone has fond memories of KSP 1. That's why we're seeing so many fan tributes to KSP 1, as well as last 'missions' or 'careers.' KSP 1 brought so many people together and helped people discover their love for the stars. It literally started people on their career as astronauts, space engineers, space technicians and space scientists. 

KSP 1 has defined people and it has defined a genre, a genre it stands alone in to this very day. That will change in 25 days and 6 hours. But for now, it stands alone. No other game does what KSP does. Nothing has even tried to emulate it. 

KSP 1 has a love that you have to play the game to understand. That love is engrained in people now. It is spread by the modders, the community and I think most importantly, the youtubers that play this game. I discovered KSP thanks to a youtuber. I think it was HOCgaming, or maybe Scott Manley, I don't remember. Back in 2013, I discovered KSP thanks to a Youtuber, and I got the game, and I was hooked the first time I booted the game. I then discovered mods and fell in love with some of them. I watched modders come and go, adding to this game and making it more fun. 

You want to know why people are making so many tributes? Love. That's why. Love and the memories that KSP created. You say:

14 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's like people are more emotional about saying goodbye to the first game than having reasons to be be hyped for the sequel.

Well, your words couldn't be further than the truth. Saying goodbye is hard. It's sometimes sad, but happy at the same time. But you know what? You say people aren't hyped, but it's the complete opposite. Saying goodbye is them being hyped about KSP 2. They have to say goodbye to KSP 1, so they can say hello to KSP 2.

You have to understand what KSP 2 means for people. It's a new beginning. A new start. A fresh adventure. One everyone is hoping will be better than KSP 1. 

KSP 1 is packing its bags... and soon, it will walk out the door... when that happens, people will cry. People will cry for joy, people will cry for sorrow, people will cry for the memories. 

This is an emotional time for the community, and it will just get more emotional the closer to KSP 2 release we get. Expect to see tons more farewell and goodbye messages and tributes for KSP 1, because some people wait until the very end to say goodbye.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

My hype had give down drastically because of the lack of interesting reveals and creative marketing. Everything in KSP2 except how the parts look (amazing) just feels like it's a compromise.

Maybe setting your expectation to: Sea Of Thieves meets Flight Simulator 2020, Space MMO Edition, has something to do with that, don't you think?

54 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

..a genre it stands alone in to this very day. No other game does what KSP does. Nothing has even tried to emulate it. 

There's also Juno (Simple Rockets). Very cool game.

57 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We should get something today, I think. I've noticed a pattern that the sneak peeks that are posted in Discord happen about every 2 to 3, maybe 4 days apart from each other. So, I'm kind of expecting something today or tomorrow. 

Of course there is. This game is what, 12 years old now? It has a thriving community, people who are dedicated to the game, people who love and respect the modders, the devs, the admins and mods on the forums. KSP 2 is both a happy and sad time. KSP 1 is ending. We are getting KSP 2, yes, but everyone has fond memories of KSP 1. That's why we're seeing so many fan tributes to KSP 1, as well as last 'missions' or 'careers.' KSP 1 brought so many people together and helped people discover their love for the stars. It literally started people on their career as astronauts, space engineers, space technicians and space scientists. 

KSP 1 has defined people and it has defined a genre, a genre it stands alone in to this very day. That will change in 25 days and 6 hours. But for now, it stands alone. No other game does what KSP does. Nothing has even tried to emulate it. 

KSP 1 has a love that you have to play the game to understand. That love is engrained in people now. It is spread by the modders, the community and I think most importantly, the youtubers that play this game. I discovered KSP thanks to a youtuber. I think it was HOCgaming, or maybe Scott Manley, I don't remember. Back in 2013, I discovered KSP thanks to a Youtuber, and I got the game, and I was hooked the first time I booted the game. I then discovered mods and fell in love with some of them. I watched modders come and go, adding to this game and making it more fun. 

You want to know why people are making so many tributes? Love. That's why. Love and the memories that KSP created. You say:

Well, your words couldn't be further than the truth. Saying goodbye is hard. It's sometimes sad, but happy at the same time. But you know what? You say people aren't hyped, but it's the complete opposite. Saying goodbye is them being hyped about KSP 2. They have to say goodbye to KSP 1, so they can say hello to KSP 2.

You have to understand what KSP 2 means for people. It's a new beginning. A new start. A fresh adventure. One everyone is hoping will be better than KSP 1. 

KSP 1 is packing its bags... and soon, it will walk out the door... when that happens, people will cry. People will cry for joy, people will cry for sorrow, people will cry for the memories. 

This is an emotional time for the community, and it will just get more emotional the closer to KSP 2 release we get. Expect to see tons more farewell and goodbye messages and tributes for KSP 1, because some people wait until the very end to say goodbye.

That's a beautiful and heartwarming post.

24 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Maybe setting your expectation to: Sea Of Thieves meets Flight Simulator 2020, Space MMO Edition, has something to do with that, don't you think?

It's not about expectations and I was not taking about later features. I'm just not wow-ed by what I've seen lately. And I've heard nothing about important new features like the mission planner, which should be there day-1.

32 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I'm just not wow-ed by what I've seen lately.

You where expecting some sort of super-MMO with graphics rivaling games made by studios ten time the size of Intercept.

It's just impossible to even "wow" you.

You set yourself up for disappointment and the whole forum pointed it out several times.

8 minutes ago, Master39 said:

You where expecting some sort of super-MMO with graphics rivaling games made by studios ten time the size of Intercept.

It's just impossible to even "wow" you.

You set yourself up for disappointment and the whole forum pointed it out several times.

It's not like that. And a few people do not represent the whole forum. I don't really see other people being wow-ed by the recent screenshots either. Most put it on being an EA release, but I just want to see 50$ worth of WOW. I'm sure it's there, just not revealed yet.

Like I said, the parts look impressive, some planets from 2020 also look good seen from afar, GUI looks nice. Can't really say anything about gameplay or physics. I think I'm actually having a balanced critical approach to things.

Edited by Vl3d

47 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

It's not like that. And a few people do not represent the whole forum. I don't really see other people being wow-ed by the recent screenshots either. Most put it on being an EA release, but I just want to see 50$ worth of WOW. I'm sure it's there, just not revealed yet.

Like I said, the parts look impressive, some planets from 2020 also look good seen from afar, GUI looks nice. Can't really say anything about gameplay or physics. I think I'm actually having a balanced critical approach to things.

The thing is  what  wow one   might be irrelevant to other. For example, no matter  what the game graphics will be I will always   select the lowest graphics setting available (except the resolution itself), because  I find graphics to be distractions and irrelevant for a game like this. I coudl play KSP in command line if there was such a more, well I play  dwarf fortress in Ascii still nowadays (because of the game depth, that is something that wows ME)

4 minutes ago, tstein said:

For example, no matter  what the game graphics will be I will always   select the lowest graphics setting available (except the resolution itself), because  I find graphics to be distractions and irrelevant for a game like this. I coudl play KSP in command line if there was such a more, well I play  dwarf fortress in Ascii still nowadays (because of the game depth, that is something that wows ME)

Good for you! People who have not ever played KSP will look at the graphics first, the user experience second and the gameplay third.

Just now, Vl3d said:

Good for you! People who have not ever played KSP will look at the graphics first, the user experience second and the gameplay third.

This is not the case for everyone. Some people put user experience first. Some put gameplay first. Some put graphics last, such as @tstein mentioned. Everyone is different and you can't say that people who have not looked at KSP will look at the graphics first.

Just now, GoldForest said:

Everyone is different and you can't say that people who have not looked at KSP will look at the graphics first.

Yes, everyone is different. But the graphics is the first thing people new to KSP see.

5 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Yes, everyone is different. But the graphics is the first thing people new to KSP see.

I don't agree.  

RDR2 had blow your socks off environments - but the draw was gameplay and story telling. 

Fortnite is a cartoon that people enjoy playing tag with other people in. 

Minecraft is a wacky mess - but also kind of irresistible. 

Kerbal is a hard-difficulty spaceflight Sim with some fun wacky elements... But if it was at all dependent on people's perception of the graphics... It would not still be played.  Modded does not count. 

No one plays KSP for graphics fidelity.  They play it for 'Holy Shiz, I just landed on the FREAKING MOON!!!' 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

8 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

No one plays KSP for graphics fidelity.

I don't want to have this argument. Graphics are very important for KSP. Besides..

Mr. Nate Simpson: "It's very important for our game to be visually impressive. It needs to feel epic. There have been a number of visual mods for KSP1 that have raised the bar as far as what's possible and they continue to come in. (...) These would include things like EVE and Scatterer and Outer Planets Mods, those are all sort of things that show what the minimum should be and obviously we want to exceed that drastically." http://forum.purdueseds.space/pspodcast/episode2/ 1:12:10

Also Mr. Nate: "We've set ourselves a very high bar of quality. The game has to performant across a wide range of machines. The graphics have to be peerless."

Just now, Vl3d said:

I don't want to have this argument. Graphics are very important for KSP. Besides..

Mr. Nate Simpson: "It's very important for our game to be visually impressive. It needs to feel epic. There have been a number of visual mods for KSP1 that have raised the bar as far as what's possible and they continue to come in. (...) These would include things like EVE and Scatterer and Outer Planets Mods, those are all sort of things that show what the minimum should be and obviously we want to exceed that drastically." http://forum.purdueseds.space/pspodcast/episode2/ 1:12:10

Also Mr. Nate: "We've set ourselves a very high bar of quality. The game has to performant across a wide range of machines. The graphics have to be peerless."

Just because graphics are important to the developers doesn't mean that's the first thing people want out of the game.  You are making the assumption that all of us think like you do, which is highly incorrect and inaccurate.  Some people will want graphics first, others will want gameplay.

13 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Those statements are contradictory. Wide range of machine imply it cannot be peerless. This is a marketing flavored statement as any statement you will see from anyone in any company. I know I have my own development company and we put more adjectives than  woudl be wise. That is normal. Do not read such statements as formal contracts

8 minutes ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Some people will want graphics first, others will want gameplay.

Do you have graphics mods installed? Which mods are the most installed on CKAN? How many installs do EVE & EVE Redux have? Out of a total of ~5 million KSP sales how much is that?

@Vl3d Nobody bought KSP for its graphics and nobody SHOULD buy KSP 2 for its graphics KSP was always about landing on other planets and pushing what's possible to the limit KSP 2 will 100% LOOK better also some of the clouds aren't even possible without 2023 mods they set that bar long before. it also looks a lot more consistent something KSP failed miserably 

you are also making the whole community dislike you for no reason just wait until KSP 2 to judge its graphics

Edited by Royalswissarmyknife

14 minutes ago, Royalswissarmyknife said:

you are also making the whole community dislike you for no reason just wait until KSP 2 to judge its graphics

Dislike my arguments.

I don't really see anyone else asking for the high level of graphical excellence that was promised to be delivered.

I mostly see people coming up with excuses for shortcomings.

I see modders working as volunteers for years to make KSP look amazing and then I see some players say "graphics don't matter, I'm sure someone will make a free mod for that".

No, I'm sorry, but that's not right. It's not fair to expect any improvements for this game from the community. Respect the modders and respect the value of the money you will pay to buy the game.

The stock product has to be good. The graphics have to be as promised so the game sells well. And I'm sure they will be, I just don't see it yet.

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Royalswissarmyknife said:

you mean your own high expectations they never promised?

I'll just butt in and say, this in an invalid critique. Vl3d literally linked to what he's talking about, and gave direct quotes. They promised high graphical fidelity, even if performance is a priority.

Just now, Royalswissarmyknife said:

Shortcomings? you mean your own high expectations they never promised?

They did promise it, and one of the videos of them promising it has been posted a few comments ago.

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Dislike my arguments.

I don't really see anyone else asking for the high level of graphical excellence that was promised to be delivered.

I mostly see people coming up with excuses for shortcomings.

I see modders working as volunteers for years to make KSP look amazing and then I see some players say "graphics don't matter, I'm sure someone will make a free mod for that".

No, I'm sorry, but that's not right. It's not fair to expect any improvements for this game from the community. Respect the modders and respect the value of the money you will pay to buy the game.

The stock product has to be good. The graphics have to be as promised so the game sells well. And I'm sure they will be, I just don't see it yet.

I agree with parts of this. The ships and colony buildings they've shown have all looked like a massive step forward compared to KSP1. I don't feel like that step has been matched by the planets / terrain. Which is strange, because I'm sure I remember thinking the planets / terrain were looking good when they released the show and tell video where they went through how the planets were being made? Maybe I'm misremembering, I'll have to go back and look.

Even the launch pad and the space centre buildings have looked good at times.

It could be that they have the graphics turned down, or it could be that they're still working on the visual side of it, or it could be that what we're seeing is it. I think the fact that we don't know which one of those is true is a bit worrying. Would people be that upset if they said "look, we're focusing on the gameplay mechanics first, and the visual upgrades will come later"?

There are a lot more planets now, so it would make sense that getting them all looking 'finished' will take a lot longer, maybe longer than they thought it would?

10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Dislike my arguments.

Because most  I would risk are happy that the developers seems to  have focused more on other things than graphics.  I for once   have seen a lot of times  games  being released with  clearly all effort made into graphics and  everything else  being left behind. ... those games  always are horrible. Maybe you should remember that to put effort in one thing you must remove effort from something else and for an EA  at least it is  muc more important a good system under the hood than a shiny polish.

This is the video I was thinking about, and if my web-fu has been good enough, I should have linked the video below at the point where Jordan Pack is saying "the planets are going to be cool, everyone's going to like the planets, they'll be the driving factor for exploration in this game".

So yeah, I don't think it was a stretch for people to think that the planets would look better than they have in the recent videos.

8 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

This is the video I was thinking about, and if my web-fu has been good enough, I should have linked the video below at the point where Jordan Pack is saying "the planets are going to be cool, everyone's going to like the planets, they'll be the driving factor for exploration in this game".

So yeah, I don't think it was a stretch for people to think that the planets would look better than they have in the recent videos.

Sure but notice they did not even said that was ingame. Those could be the first art candidates. It is not rate that whatever art departments proposes need to have some effects removed to  fit in the performance budget.

Notice as the time mark following  it looks  a lot like the recent images. SO I woudl not take ANY image of a planet without a ship on it as  evidence of game footage.