KSP2 Hype Train Thread

54 minutes ago, Domonian said:

Nothing's stopping you from calling out :) ; if I didn't have to worry so much about differential equations, I wouldn't bother going to class that day, but alas...

I am the owner of the company, it is not a matter of callign out. It is a matter of having a good excuse :P

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

So, a dev on the discord posted this:

And someone of course zoomed in the shoThe shot in the back we've seen, but the shot with the runway I think is something we haven't.

Or he's just messing with you and put a few FS screenshots in there.

19 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I explore for the sunsets and vistas and anomalies.

I think you made an important point here.  KSP1 had a lack of interesting activities to do once you reached a celestial body, and the KSP2 team has explicitly stated they want to improve this.  There are multiple overlapping ways to do this (unique landing puzzles, rare resources, colony setup, science, lore), but having a unique visual spectacle at each location is a huge reward after solving a difficult landing puzzle and motivates me to stay in an area longer.  There's also the fact that you could "Potentially be inspired by the realization that it is a thing that almost certainly exists somewhere in the real universe".

There's some good discussion on this thread regarding if good graphics really matter for KSP2, and to some extent how much graphics matter will always depend on personal preference.  After thinking about it, I've settled on the following opinion regarding graphics (in general, not just KSP2):

1. There exist many bad games with good graphics.
  2. There exist many good games with basic (perhaps even "bad") graphics.
  3. Good graphics always enhance a game if they respect the theming and heritage of the in-game universe.

I speculate that a lot of the people stating that "graphics don't matter for KSP2" are thinking of examples of #1 and #2, but neither of these two points disprove #3 (to be fair, they don't prove #3 either).  There is also the argument that since KSP2 is such a physics oriented game, there are mechanics that are more important than graphics.  I would agree that there are things more important than graphics, but this does not mean that graphics aren't important.

Finally, the KSP2 team has made it very clear that the condition on #3 will be satisfied by collaborating with or hiring KSP1 developers and trying to make things feel kerbal wherever possible.

In conclusion, I'm a simple-minded bumpkin that indulges my base desires for spectacle and graphics :sticktongue:.

Edited by poopslayer78
grammar fix

3 hours ago, tstein said:

They had to release it 1 day after my birthday that would be a perfect excuse for me to not go to the office.  :(

bro i have it worse, its a day before, and i don't have enough money to buy it at all. I should state that imma just not eat decent food and be on cup noodles for like 2 months.

worth

Edited by Stephensan

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Kerbal-Space-Program-2-Spiel-72055/News/Steam-Wunschliste-Follower-1412461/

German news article about the upcoming launch

Noteworthy stuff roughly translated:

Kerbal Space Program 2 prepares for a succesful steam launch

Auf der Steam-Wunschliste mischt der Titel ganz oben mit und steckt mit mehr als 140.000 Followern mit Ausnahme von Hogwarts Legacy jedes andere Spiel, das im Februar auf der Plattform erscheint, in die Tasche.

"With 140.000 follows, it is the most anticipated game on the steam wishlist out of the titles launching in february, only topped by Hogwarts Legacy"

Kerbal Space Program hat auf Steam eine Zustimmung von 94 Prozent

"KSP 1 has a 94% positive rating on steam"

and the roadmap roughly transcribed at the end.

That's about the first time I read something for KSP 2 outside of the forum and discord.

Just now, Stephensan said:

no idea if this been posted on hype thread

Only six posts before you :joy:

Also,  please make sure you eat more variety than cup o' noodles for two months. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

While maybe not all, the big KSP content creators definitely have access or will get access very very soon.

But they can't post any ksp2 gameplay yet.

Farewell ksp1 videos are great right now to keep the views up and train the algorithm ahead of the ksp2 release. For any content creators they'd be smart videos to make priming them to succeed once they can make ksp2 videos.

Just now, Ahres said:

Only six posts before you :joy:

Also,  please make sure you eat more variety than cup o' noodles for two months. 

thats illegal, also reason why i didn't see it was wasn't "out" just shows the link for me.

Edited by Stephensan

8 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

Also

[snip]

no idea if this been posted on hype thread

literally half an hour ago and 6 posts above

Edit: And apperently I'm an horribly slow writer :D 

Edited by Snafu225

On 1/30/2023 at 10:40 AM, tstein said:

Those statements are contradictory. Wide range of machine imply it cannot be peerless. This is a marketing flavored statement as any statement you will see from anyone in any company. I know I have my own development company and we put more adjectives than  woudl be wise. That is normal. Do not read such statements as formal contracts

It is not contradictory. This is why graphics options exist in most games where fidelity can matter. KSP 1 just didn't any have fidelity that required a range for these types of options to exist

17 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

It probably is. It isn't cynical to assume so, it means they care about us.

I wonder how the Discord's doing.

Discord is doing a lot better then the first few days, still has its toxic moments but its on the downwards trend. 

6 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

With the game crashing on final exit. How fitting.

I actually did laugh out loud at this one.

I can't bring myself to start KSP now.  I think of the QoL improvements that I expect to see in KSP2 and decide I'll just wait.

Happy landings!

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

So, a dev on the discord posted this:

image.png

And someone of course zoomed in the shot

img.png

The shot in the back we've seen, but the shot with the runway I think is something we haven't.

That's some high level teasing.

4 hours ago, Domonian said:

thepizzaisalie.png

Mk 2 nose cone, my beloved <3 

I have to say that this image is impressive. Beautiful! And what's with those booster tips? ...

10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

That's some high level teasing.

I have to say that this image is impressive. Beautiful! And what's with those booster tips? ...

Maybe the big paddle shape causes them to peel away from the rocket more reliably once the fore end has been pushed outboard by the decoupler?  Dunno.  If just for style, I find it a little aesthetically painful 

1 minute ago, darthgently said:

Maybe the big paddle shape causes them to peel away from the rocket more reliably once the fore end has been pushed outboard by the decoupler?  Dunno.  If just for style, I find it a little aesthetically painful 

It looks like they're procedural. Are the tips made from wings?