KSP2 Hype Train Thread

I think the devs are sandbagging hard... and Im down for it.

If this is the case they have to be laughing their butts off as forums trip out in fear KSP2 EA won't be very good and I can only imagine the smiles on their faces if we all get blown away..

17 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

If this is the case they have to be laughing their butts off as forums trip out in fear KSP2 EA won't be very good and I can only imagine the smiles on their faces if we all get blown away..

Hah ya I hope so too. That would be pretty cool. Given the delays though and having to go EA I don’t think that is very likely at all, but we shall see. :)

13 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Hah ya I hope so too. That would be pretty cool. Given the delays though and having to go EA I don’t think that is very likely at all, but we shall see. :)

This is why Im not tripping out + or -.

Hopes are high, expectations are low.

1 hour ago, Datau03 said:

I have some hypetrain turbofuel here:

KSP2 is coming out this month! (In my timezone at least)

Waiting for KSP2 has almost become some kind of religion for me, I don't know how I'll cope with the challenges of life without having this to look forward to

7 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

laughing their butts off as forums trip out in fear KSP2 EA won't be very good and I can only imagine the smiles on their faces if we all get blown away..

Most likely. I feel like there's some level of trolling going on.

But I'm still not blown away by the clouds. They're to much like haze, too transparent, not compact and well defined, not layered. And there's no marketing for the game. And no info about very important new game mechanics like the mission planner and life support.

I find the graphics okay to play in 2023 and it's EA. These parts could be improved later on. my main problem is the game play. the game will be released and it will have nothing to play in it in a way that there won't be any progressive steps.

I was wondering if anyone knows when the road map features will be applied to the game. Do we have single player mod where we can use parts by the progress? I used to play the game with science because I don't want to see all the high tech rockets. I want to use small ones and understand how it works etc. Since we don't have science mod in EA I'm not sure how it is going to be.

10 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Most likely. I feel like there's some level of trolling going on.

But I'm still not blown away by the clouds. They're to much like haze, too transparent, not compact and well defined, not layered. And there's no marketing for the game. And no info about very important new game mechanics like the mission planner and life support.

I almost put this in a previous post, but I felt it would lessen the point I was making.

We could be seeing 'dialled down' graphics because they want preserve the 'wow factor' for when we actually play the game. It'd be so much more impactful if the first time we see the full, high-res landscapes etc is when we actually land on a planet / moon.

It's probably wishful thinking, but I REALLY hope it does turn out like that.

Edited by WelshSteW

4 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

We could be seeing 'dialled down' graphics because they want preserve the 'wow factor' for when we actually play the game.

That still doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view if they want to attract new players.

2 hours ago, Ekerci said:

I want to use small ones and understand how it works etc.

EA sandbox is not very newbie friendly. But use whichever parts you like and need to explore the Kerbol system.

This is the point at which IMHO we should derail the hype train and play it down.

If you think about it, if expectations are unreasonably high the result of reality, no matter how good it is, will be disappointment.

If expectations are delusionally low then the result of reality will be happiness.

Happiness will fill the internet with reports of delight whereas disappointment will cloud perceptions and make people hesitate.

Which is why we should have minimal expectations for a bare bones Early Access release with half the game still a WIP.

See how that works? :cool:

*Grabs a shovel and adopts a workman like posture.* Nothing to see here, move along now please, we will let you know when its ready, thankyou for your interest.

Edited by boolybooly

19 minutes ago, boolybooly said:

If expectations are delusionally low then the result of reality will be happiness.

The point is not to maximize psychological happiness but to maximize how objectively good the game is. For that you need fuel for the Will, which is actually generated by not being happy and content and complacent.

Edited by Vl3d

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

EA sandbox is not very newbie friendly.

Considering that KSP 2's EA sandbox will be almost exactly like what we have in KSP 1 right now, it's actually extremely newbie friendly. In fact, once KSP 2 is complete, Sandbox will be the first thing a newbie should do. 

Don't jump into career or adventure or exploration mode, or whatever they're calling it. (I've forgotten) Jump into sandbox. Test the parts. See what works and what doesn't. That's how I learned KSP 1. I just went at it. Put parts together, found what worked and what didn't. Soon enough I had my first rocket in orbit and my first Mun landing a little after that. 

Sandbox is extremely newbie friendly. 

Just now, GoldForest said:

Sandbox will be the first thing a newbie should do. 

Don't jump into career or adventure or exploration mode, or whatever they're calling it. (I've forgotten) Jump into sandbox. Test the parts. See what works and what doesn't. That's how I learned KSP 1. I just went at it. Put parts together, found what worked and what didn't. Soon enough I had my first rocket in orbit and my first Mun landing a little after that. 

Sandbox is extremely newbie friendly. 

Completely disagree. Newbies need to start with just a few simple parts and learn progressively.

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Completely disagree. Newbies need to start with just a few simple parts and learn progressively.

Mmmm. Considering that career mode will put heavily emphasis on exploration, I completely disagree with your view. Newbies should play sandbox with all parts. They should learn what each part does for themselves. Build rockets, planes, rovers without constraint. Then when they're ready, then I would suggest a career/exploration mode. Because then they'll have the knowledge needed to go and explore the universe. If they jump into exploreation mode without knowing what they're doing, they're going to get frustrated, and they're going to quit, possibly never to return. 

So, yes, sandbox mode first, exploration mode second. 

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

That still doesn't make sense from a marketing point of view if they want to attract new players.

EA sandbox is not very newbie friendly. But use whichever parts you like and need to explore the Kerbol system.

I'm torn on this. Will they really want to attract new players to an EA version of the game? Or is the EA version for us, and they'll hype up the marketing and publicity when the game is coming up for 'proper' release?

There's two different views on that but I personally agree with Vl3d (and that rarely happens). Showing new player EVERYTHING, full set of few hundred parts may be overwhelming, just like I was when I returned to KSP around 0.23, it already had much more parts than when I played previously around 0.9. Thankfully the science mode was available so I switched to that.

Gradually introducing new player to more parts, mechanics, along with respective tutorials sounds safe. Why many non-sandbox games don't give you full arsenal and heaviest bosses to beat from the start, but instead give you entry level gear and easy enemies? So you can learn how basic things work before heading into the unknown.

24 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We don't know how those modes look like in KSP2. Some other games, like Astroneer, do a good in introducing players to gameplay elements. And it's a given that KSP2 career mode will be completely different from KSP1 career mode — not to mention that there might be other modes and missions available for beginners.

In KSP1 that statement is certainly true, due to the frankenformat of career progression, but it's easy to assume that this will be something where KSP2 can greatly improve upon.

Edited by Kerbart

Just now, WelshSteW said:

'proper' release

This, right now, is the 'proper' release. Because of its limited complexity and because this is where the tutorials are released. (But I would argue that the science mode progression update is the best place for new players to start, not sandbox.)