KSP2 Hype Train Thread

4 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

A craft situated between them would quickly fall to either side of the system as the point where their gravity is balanced is infinitesimal.

It would work like L2 point there web is located the point is unstable but it require little energy to keep in it so web can stay there for a decade using RCS
L4 and L5 however is stable so natural material could build up. 

3 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

GoldForest was referring to the point directly between Rask and Rusk. So yeah.

Now to discuss simulating lagrange zones as small SOIs as a placeholder, well it's stupid. But I think there's a clear middleground that'd make everyone happy, continue using rails for most orbits but enable multiple-body gravitation for vessels within zones surrounding the lagrange points. AFAIK, the game should easily be able to figure out where the lagrange zones are for each body and moon. You still get orbital stability but vessels also act in a realistic manner when in proximity to a lagrange point and can hold realistic orbits. Maybe if the player lets a vessels' RCS drain, the game will lock its orbit and keep it in a fixed halo so a player can leave a vessel in a halo orbit without needing to manually keep it there. Sounds similar to SOIs, yeah, but it isn't; the kind of fixed orbit I propose would use an already-established halo orbit as a basis rather than a weird Keplerian orbit around a black hole that doesn't behave as an orbit should when it's being constantly perturbed to form a halo around an imaginary point.

So your idea is  a SOI still, but a SOI that has different rules, where conics are replaced by  NBody and when you leave that SOI things get into rails again? It still ahs some BLINDNESS to the future (as oen cannot predict the future beign  the horizon event of entering or leaving that SOI,  but it is a limit that I think   most players would accept (but need to  find a way to explain it because some will get cofnused by that  new bermuda triangle in space.

Just now, tstein said:

So your idea is  a SOI still, but a SOI that has different rules, where conics are replaced by  NBody and when you leave that SOI things get into rails again? It still ahs some BLINDNESS to the future (as oen cannot predict the future beign  the horizon event of entering or leaving that SOI,  but it is a limit that I think   most players would accept (but need to  find a way to explain it because some will get cofnused by that  new bermuda triangle in space.

I think that blindness could be dealt with just by simulating the trajectory a bit ahead like Principia does then continuing patched conics from where the N-body ends.

I wouldn't describe it as a SOI because that carries the connotation of a vessel only being affected by one body (and it probably isn't a sphere), but okay. I'd say "lagrange zone" would be more apt, though.

9 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I think that blindness could be dealt with just by simulating the trajectory a bit ahead like Principia does then continuing patched conics from where the N-body ends.

I wouldn't describe it as a SOI because that carries the connotation of a vessel only being affected by one body (and it probably isn't a sphere), but okay. I'd say "lagrange zone" would be more apt, though.

It could work.. the area could be a semi arc segment (with depth )  alongside the orbit of a body.  It is a reasonable aproximation  that allow SOME complex maneuvers  yet it does not deeply disrupt long travel planing,  not more than  entering and leaving a SOI already does

hidiscord.png?width=1609&height=905

Clouds are improving, although some look like hazy mountain peaks. I can see a little bit of layering in the back.

Parts look absolutely gorgeous, although there's some misalignment again.

I'm not sure about the water, kind of looks like ice.

Overall I like how the game looks, but the environment needs some more GPU behind it.

Edited by Vl3d

4 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Clouds are improving, although some look like hazy mountain peaks. I can see a little bit of layering in the back.

Overall I like how the game looks, but the environment needs some more GPU behind it.

They look like that sometimes IRL. 

This is months old, they could have probably fixed that issue. The parts weren't the focus probably when this screenshot was taken.

We've only seen the water from far away, up close probably looks good. 

They have a set style, so it's not going to change much. 

11 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

look almost clouds, looks frothy, but hope to see them become better.

20 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I think the “misalignment” is intentional here, if you are talking about the wing tips. The end wing goes past the center one on both the front and the back, so even if the front side was aligned, the back one would go further back. It is more likely that the plane was just designed with big control surfaces. 

2 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

i mean it does have a long way to go

Really? I think the left already looks better. I mean the two-layers of clouds are cool on the right but the pillow scale is kind of small and repetitive. 

1 minute ago, Pthigrivi said:

Really? I think the left already looks better. I mean the two-layers of clouds are cool on the right but the pillow scale is kind of small and repetitive. 

Huh. I think I like the left more as well, honestly. 

The image on the right looks realistic, but that does not really fit the aesthetics of the game imo. Moreover, a really thick layer of clouds hide the ground and I don't think it's good for a game like KSP. It looks good but I would find it annoying really quickly.

Only 20 more days of discussing clouds but here we are :D

Left just fits better. Right seems somewhat repetitive and like @Pthigrivi already pointed out, the top layer doesn't feel right.

Nudging this back to on topic hype train:

I really love that we can see some more verticality to the clouds now and having stock cloud shadows!

8 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

Only 20 more days of discussing clouds but here we are :D

Left just fits better. Right seems somewhat repetitive and like @Pthigrivi already pointed out, the top layer doesn't feel right.

Nudging this back to on topic hype train:

I really love that we can see some more verticality to the clouds now and having stock cloud shadows!

hope to see it progress larger and larger.

soon, soon the ecosystem of the clouds will be here.

7 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I'm sick of talking about the clouds. They don't really look like the ones in the Trailer, do they?

Yet here you are starting the discussion at every possibility and even making comparison pictures.

Edit: Oh and I didn't even realise it at first, but since you also posted that in the discord, someone rightfully pointed out that you're comparing cinematics with ingame graphics. 

5 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

hope to see it progress larger and larger.

soon, soon the ecosystem of the clouds will be here.

Yes, I'm all for the progress they make or maybe even made without us seeing it yet. 

Edited by Snafu225

6 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

Yet here you are starting the discussion at every possibility and even making comparison pictures.

Yes, because I don't like seeing clouds that look like a layer of shaving cream PQS terrain.

Need I remind you?

ksp2-good-kerbin-clouds.png

Edited by Vl3d

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

ksp-clouds-comparison-3.png

Thoughts?

The one on the right is better. Forgive my silliness, butis that something you've done?

The one on the left looks like they've used the terrain tool for the clouds Darn it. They're just white mountains cut off before they reach the ground. And the water looks crap as well.

But, again, I guess we don't know when these were done, or what's been changed since. I still hold out hope that they're making it look rubbish so we're wowed when we actually play and visit the places. My belief in that is dwindling though. Just one shot, just one, where it looks good. Or at least, where it doesn't look rubbish. Just show us a high res KSC, and a bit of surrounding terrain and sky. That wouldn't be spoilery would it??

17 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Yes, because I don't like seeing clouds that look like a layer of shaving cream PQS terrain.

Need I remind you?

ksp2-good-kerbin-clouds.png

This looks promosing? Way better than that left hand pic. You could argue this shows clouds, and mist / fog (which I know is really just a cloud as well, but still).

Now I don't know what to think :D 

Edited by WelshSteW

1 minute ago, WelshSteW said:

The one on the right is better. Forgive my silliness, but is that something you've done?

I put the plane in an image taken from here. (gorgeous!)

1 minute ago, WelshSteW said:

The one on the left looks like they've used the terrain tool for the clouds. Darn it. They're just white mountains cut off before they reach the ground. And the water looks crap as well.

Exactly.. it's a cloud terrain layer. Water looks like ice.

3 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

But, again, I guess we don't know when these were done, or what's been changed since. I still hold out hope that they're making it look rubbish so we're wowed when we actually play and visit the places. My belief in that is dwindling though. Just one shot, just one, where it looks good. Or at least, where it doesn't look rubbish. Just show us a high res KSC, and a bit of surrounding terrain and sky. That wouldn't be spoilery would it??

Maybe that's the marketing strategy. Generating controversy and frustration first.. who knows. I'm optimistic, but I'm still waiting for the hype wow-factor.