KSP2 Hype Train Thread

Just now, Kerbart said:

I'm concerned! ;)

Just close your eyes and...

Wait no, that's not going to work is it?

Pretend you're controlling a very small spacecraft that you want to dock to *insert preferred target here* but your RCS controls switches from useles jklwhatever to WASDShiftCtrl.

6 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Some people on twitter are claiming that they are seeing fps drops and stuttering in this clip but I can't really see it? Everything looks good to me.

I didn't see anything that worried me. It looked to stay at a playable frame rate.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Well the framerate isn't quite stable at times and the camera movements are a bit... laggy-ish, but do we really have to get through all this again?

Nope. Had enough of the frame rate discussion. Until you play the game, don't complain about frame rate. There are too many other reasons for the frame hitches that have nothing to do with the game. 

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

No tethers, some people are going to panic.

Like if jetpack was harder than maneuvering a ship with RCS.

Newer had tethers in KSP 1 unless you used KAS winches, and using them almost make it worse. 
But its challenging for new players and always found the EVA controls a bit award, more in that field of view was not over the head 3rd person as default. 

5 minutes ago, Malathion said:

Super-HYPED about finally being able to play KSP 2!!!  And I'm in the 6:00 am release window, which couldn't be better IMO.

Here is my pre-launch checklist:

1.   Vacation day approved by the boss -  CHECK
  2.   Funds pre-loaded into my Steam account  -  CHECK
  3.   HDMI cable connecting the laptop to the 4k TV -  CHECK
  4.   Wireless keyboard, headphones, and lap tray staged by the couch CHECK
  5.   Wife and kids (conveniently) at work and school for the day CHECK

Help me out, fellow Kerbalites.  What am I missing to make my release-day celebration the best it can be?

And we have an scrub :0.0:

I wonder what the stock options for customizing your EVA suits will be. Will we get different design templates to pick from? Maybe changing the colors, just the same as with proper ships? If it's at all possible, I want to give Kerbals different suit stripes for different occupations. Assuming occupations still exist...

40 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

I feel like changing the navball’s location was nothing more than to change something for the sake of changing something. Why move it out of your direct line of sight? It’s  the most important thing on the screen beside the ship itself. Whatever, it will probably be fixed by a mod in the first week

It's just another one of KSP 1's mistakes that Intercept has every right to change, another fix to address KSP 1's horrid UI placement. The middle of the screen is for the rocket. Besides, looking a bit left won't be difficult, especially now that altitude and speed aren't scattered on opposite sides of the screen.

26 minutes ago, SolarAdmiral said:

But I'm also not sure about it, as it is the most important display instrument.

So now it's the most important display instrument, and it's been moved a tad to the left. Still just as easy to read as if it were in the middle.

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Well the framerate isn't quite stable at times and the camera movements are a bit... laggy-ish, but do we really have to get through all this again?

By Jove (Jool?), yes! Of course I am questioning the framerate of a phone-sized beta screengrab, probably edited two or three times (trimming, resizing) by people who are not professional video editors, uploaded to Tiktok and then converted to Twitter.

On a more serious note: the music is great. I wonder if it's a looping track or that there's some procedural generation element in it so that id doesn't repeat? I play KSP1 without soundtrack because it gets repetitive after a couple of hundred of hours, but at least in the beginning the KSP2 sound will sound fresh.

41 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

I feel like changing the navball’s location was nothing more than to change something for the sake of changing something. Why move it out of your direct line of sight? It’s  the most important thing on the screen beside the ship itself. Whatever, it will probably be fixed by a mod in the first week

• The navball is no longer covering the landing area.
  • The altimeter now is no longer at the opposite side of the navball grouping all the important navigation stuff in the same place. 
  • The staging now is consistent with the VAB view
  • Staging and craft resources are now at the same side of the screen, grouping together all the important vessel info in the same place.

Like it or not but to me it looks like a lot more thought has gone into this compared to KSP1 layout.

29 minutes ago, SolarAdmiral said:

I think the reason it was moved was due to the thought 'most of the rockets you launch are vertical, so if there's nothing directly above or below, it frees more screen space to see your rocket'.

Not only that, monitors are larger than taller, so vertical space is more valuable than horizontal.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

So now it's the most important display instrument, and it's been moved a tad to the left. Still just as easy to read as if it were in the middle.

Yeh I'm not mad about it or even sure it will be a bad change. Even if we can move them, I'm going to give it a good try as is first to see how it works in the new layout.

5 minutes ago, SolarAdmiral said:

Yeh I'm not mad about it or even sure it will be a bad change. Even if we can move them, I'm going to give it a good try as is first to see how it works in the new layout.

I've been playing with the navball shoved all the way left as far as possible for years. It made sense to me to keep the center clear. Glad it's the default in KSP2.

Edited by Kerbart

53 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Yeah, seriously. Everyone will get to find out for themselves in less than a week. If I see another g*sh d*ng thread pop up speculating about performance I'm going to fl*p

21 hours ago, MARL_Mk1 said:

Just... hear me out. I'm not the best at Gimp, the Photoshop of the poor, but I tried my best:

Increased size of Ball, glued the indicators to the diagonals instead of having them hang on the sides. Looks way tidier and cleaner.

6jxpJvV.png

Y'know, I was thinking about all the really excellent discussions people have been having about the new navball (really excellent photoshopping here, by the way!), and realizing that different people like different things, and then was thinking about this comment I made yesterday,

23 hours ago, Snark said:

(I look forward to seeing what modders do to offer alternate navball styling.  Betcha that's gonna be a hot topic.)

...and was just now reminded about a comment from Nate Simpson way back in 2019, when I had a chance to interview him:

On 8/30/2019 at 11:38 PM, Snark said:
  • Q:  How customizable will the UI be?  (navball position, etc.)
  • A:  They want to make it very flexible.  They're trying to make the UI more easily moddable than before.  As for player-customizability, details are still TBD.  They're aware that players can be very particular about how UI elements are arranged, and want to make people happy.

There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then, and who knows what they've actually had the time and budget to do, so I'm not exactly going to take that to the bank.  But at least it shows that they were thinking about it, even then, and that their hearts are in the right place, which I find encouraging.  Guess we'll find out soon.  :)

5 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

Holy MF christ the specs are tough swallow...

i don't even got the recommended PC for GPU.. like

KSP2-SPECS-v7-FINAL-Poppe_Version-3-plsl

This just feels fake. But I hope it's not.

Edited by Vl3d

3 minutes ago, mcpattyp said:

Damn my 2070 is just barely above the minimum… wait… 3080  RECOMMENDED???!!!

I asked this in the other post for the system specs. But I was wondering what resolutions they're talking about. Anyone know how other games do it nowadays?

Like is it maybe RTX 3080 recommended for 4k and minimum 2060 for 1080p?

Just now, SolarAdmiral said:

I asked this in the other post for the system specs. But I was wondering what resolutions they're talking about. Anyone know how other games do it nowadays?

Like is it maybe RTX 3080 recommended for 4k and minimum 2060 for 1080p?

to think that you need a 2060 for 1080p.. it should be 1440p@60fps med high... like