KSP2 Hype Train Thread

3 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

What's objective to me, may not be to you,

Please google the difference between objective and subjective. Objective is by definition not influenced by feelings or biases on either side, and I think we're all pretty biased here.

I do want KSP2 to succeed, but I can acknowledge the issues with bugs and missing features while still being hopeful, and I do think that it's not any less than KSP1 (or at least, any losses are made up for by all the gains). And yeah $50 is a bit overpriced, but with how many AAA games are even more expensive than that these days, it honestly could be worse.

I, for one, will run the game at greatly reduced settings on a 1070 TI and enjoy it all the while.

3 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Hmmm... not sure what my house has to do with this but hey, if you're offering to buy at a nice price, maybe I'll sell; Christopher Communities / Vegas.

Bwahahaha... again, it's the fact that a 3080 vanilla barely makes the upper echelon specs; I seriously doubt KSP2 will be utilized as a representation of how the 4000 series cards perform, or as a benchmarking tool at anytime in the future. *evil grin*

That 3080 GPU computer will not run well for long in an empty field.

I was trying to make a point, my computer is NOT for KSP2 alone, nor will I count the cost of my PC against any single game.

Just as my house is for other reasons that just to cover and power my computer

Edited by DwightLee

1 minute ago, Motokid600 said:

Im kind of bummed the engine plumes seemingly dont look as good as Waterfall.

Exhausts don't look as good as Waterfall, clouds don't look as good as Volumetric Clouds, surfaces don't look as good as Parallax, surface textures don't look as good as HIRes for RSS, part textures don't look as good as TURD.
Yes, you can say that it is subjective. We can say that it will be fixed. We can say that this is not a problem. We can say that the performance will be fixed.

But what to say if the core of the game remains the same as in KSP1?
The same kraken connections, the same FPS drops on large crafts - and this is just what you can see from the video, without tests.
More new bugs...

Will this be fixed too? I understand that this was hard to fix after 10 years in KSP1, I was hoping as many would fix it in KSP2. But the game is new, and the problems are old.

Ok, let's say it's just "early access", the game has potential.

2 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Now you're talking about electrical power in houses... just baffled lol.

But hey, again feel free to check out housing prices; all about that.

You've reminded us all that it's "early access" over and over again...I appreciate you making my point for me. (Overpriced, over spec'd)

Ok cut power to your house and see if you can run KSP 2 

You are counting the cost of a computer against a single game, so I will count the cost of the house, and power and everything else that is required.

I am trying to show you how it is very silly to count the cost of an entire PC against any one game.

Edited by DwightLee

13 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

I remember you from before Master lmao

Frankly, I can't say the same, but somehow I feel like I'm lucky about it.

13 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

lmao Keep rolling those dice though, you'll hit one of these days.

O.o?

14 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

I disagree with you; quite a different analogy than a gaming rig both in percentage of purchase, and in scope.

Still, if you don't use the GPU for a single game (which is objectively a terrible idea) you shouldn't include its price in the cost of the game.

The hyperbole was to show how ridiculous the idea is.

That's regardless of what my opinion on price or minimum requirements of the game is, on which I'll just say that I'm lucky I just happen to meet the requirements, otherwise I wouldn't be trying the game this week.

A few more posts have been removed.

Please address the content of posts rather than the poster.

Please do not allow your disagreements with others to devolve into bickering.

Thank you for your understanding,
Forum Moderation Team

4 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Hmmm... not sure what my house has to do with this but hey, if you're offering to buy at a nice price, maybe I'll sell; Christopher Communities / Vegas.

This may be a controversial recommendation, but I would advise against doxxing yourself.

Also, if we get too far into the discussion of the true "price of entry", we're probably just going to reinvent Marxist economic theory. I wonder if a version of the Vimes' Boots allegory would work for a gaming PC...

2 hours ago, DwightLee said:

I am trying to show you how it is very silly to count the cost of an entire PC against any one game.

Right. I'm used to refreshing my rig every 3-5 years, and I am seeing where my current rig is due for its replacement due to age. I'm not going to get a new rig because of KSP. I am going to get a new rig because of KSP and all the new games coming out in the next 3-5years. 

Edited by ArmchairGravy

9 minutes ago, ArmchairGravy said:

Right. I'm used to refreshing my rig every 3-5 years, and I am seeing where my current rig is due for its replacement due to age. I'm not going to get a new rig because of KSP. I am gong to get a new rig because of KSP and all the new games coming out in the next 3-5years. 

Same here, I currently have a GTX 3080 GPU, but suspect before too long I will be upgrading that. I am a gamer, it is a part of the price of the hobby. I didn't get this GPU for Kerbal, nor will I get the next GPU for specifically any one game.

its absolutely funny to see discord chats talk about constantly about how 60fps is a rather new concept for gaming and 144fps is for people that are trying to be pushovers.. (intercept discord)

new concept... real early 2000's, for 60fps.. huh man thats real new..

and you can just smell the fresh meat, or the unexperienced people being brainwashed from consoles 30fps being so cool, and thats all you need etc, with latest gen now doing 60fps/120fps... 

and every single person that understands that is its NOT a new thing, just mass reply that person, and happens every so often...

love that even thinking about 60fps is to much and people think its a new concept like.

I was watching all those videos today

Man this is gonna take some time getting used to, I kept looking up to see the altitude and down to see the speed. Completely blind to the fact that it's all now in the corner. And not even above the navball but on the sides.

I'm still not sold on the retro font, after seeing it in action I can say there are places where it works, but still not everywhere where it currently is.

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I was watching all those videos today

Man this is gonna take some time getting used to, I kept looking up to see the altitude and down to see the speed. Completely blind to the fact that it's all now in the corner. And not even above the navball but on the sides.

I'm still not sold on the retro font, after seeing it in action I can say there are places where it works, but still not everywhere where it currently is.

i love the ui, im already completely use to it tbh, thats why i really would love a windows 11 ui makeover, the text, the style, all of it, i want to use :') i hope the font will be able to be used on other applications 

2 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

i love the ui, im already completely use to it tbh, thats why i really would love a windows 11 ui makeover, the text, the style, all of it, i want to use :') i hope the font will be able to be used on other applications 

https://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php

Hope you can find something for yourself. Changing system font is easy.

Anyway I also hope that the Destroy button was just for internal testing, not taken out before the event, because uh... It's not even a matter of not clicking on it, knowing what it does, there's also a matter of simple accidental missclicks.

27 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Anyway I also hope that the Destroy button was just for internal testing, not taken out before the event, because uh... It's not even a matter of not clicking on it, knowing what it does, there's also a matter of simple accidental missclicks.

I also hope the destroy button is removed.

would also be very bad for new players.

Though... I must say I didn't understand the thinking "I made the maneuver node so I'll remove it before using it cause I don't need it anymore"

Like, force of habit, showing off that one can do critical burns without the maneuver nodes even while running on fumes? I know these people are total veterans and do these with ease on full manual, but do they also turn off traction control every time they hop into a car?

This isn't exactly a hype but more of a trying to get into people's heads. It's 2am.

23 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Though... I must say I didn't understand the thinking "I made the maneuver node so I'll remove it before using it cause I don't need it anymore"

You don't do that?  Number one, it clears up the map view and number two, it helps you get a feel for certain kinds of maneuvers.  That way you don't have to use it all the time.  A lot of times I close the maneuver before completing the burn to finish it more precisely (Matt Lowne also does this).  It's just less UI clutter when you're trying to fine tune your orbit.

1 hour ago, Stephensan said:

its absolutely funny to see discord chats talk about constantly about how 60fps is a rather new concept for gaming and 144fps is for people that are trying to be pushovers.. (intercept discord)

new concept... real early 2000's, for 60fps.. huh man thats real new..

and you can just smell the fresh meat, or the unexperienced people being brainwashed from consoles 30fps being so cool, and thats all you need etc, with latest gen now doing 60fps/120fps... 

and every single person that understands that is its NOT a new thing, just mass reply that person, and happens every so often...

love that even thinking about 60fps is to much and people think its a new concept like.

I think the polarization around FPSs makes it impossible to have any real discussion around it.

I've played for years with sub 30 FPSs before being able to afford real gaming hardware, not on console, on PC. That's PC gaming, the lowest of lowest possible price entry point, people using the PC they already have to play, even if it's not good enough.

Then again, I now (also) play in VR, less than 90FPS means the game is less comfortable to play (luckily I don't suffer from motion sickness at all), even if 60FPS reprojected to 120Hz are not that bad (this is the "secret sauce" that made the PSVR viable).

And then there's FPSs, I like to keep a nice 120 stable (I don't even bother enabling 144, not a worth jump from 120, IMO).

But in a Cyberpunk or similar game (like the upcoming Starfield) I'm going to target 60, and give the rest to the eye candy.

And, in the end, there's the Deck, I've set it to 40Hz mode the moment it dropped, locked the frame rates at 40 FPS for every game and forgot about it, battery life is more important, I have other options for games that are not playable at 40 FPSs.

All of these are strictly PC gaming options, covering the full spectrum, and I didn't even touch resolution, which is another can of worms. Seeing people buying 2 gen old xx50 or xx60 cards for their 4k monitors will always be funny. But probably this is the end point of this argument? The new fancy resolution everybody is pushing for every other gen or so is going to cyclically reset the whole discussion around frame rates.

5 hours ago, Dinkledash said:

Yeah monitor #2 is left over from my last work from home job - they didn’t want it back lol

DVI is also legacy now, RIP, at least it was an good standard who became outdated, 
But I got an 55" TV from work.
It was used for video conferences but then customers wanted an dedicated system who they dumped for teams during the pandemic. Told that my TV stopped working and got it as it was not used. 

4 hours ago, saxappeal89129 said:

I hear what you're saying, I just think it's interesting how people think the "price of entry" is just $49.00. It's really not... it's the price of the hardware as well; I'm pushing a 3080 12gig but I have a feeling I'm going to find some desire to upgrade after I test the game on Friday. Price of entry is going to be about $1,050... when all is said and done.

Which, for those of us who have several thousand hours into the game, seems like the best entertainment bargain of all time.  $50 is peanuts, and if you spread the cost of the new hardware over several years and everything else you’ll use it for, $1K isn’t a big deal either.

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

And then there's FPSs, I like to keep a nice 120 stable (I don't even bother enabling 144, not a worth jump from 120, IMO).

I was involved with some neurology research a while back, testing to see where people's "break point" was for discerning difference in frame rates.

Two interesting points:

• 110Hz was where most people peaked for perceiving smoothness of motion (esp. with a strobed backlight).  120Hz ended up being the performance tuning sweet spot for almost every viewer tested.
  • Most people at the start of the test were perfectly fine with 24 fps video.  As they were exposed to higher refresh rates, their tolerance for lower framerates dropped, sometimes really dramatically.  A real "ignorance is bliss" situation.  One guy I recall was pretty upset as he was one of those human eye can't see faster than 30 FPS  folks (utter nonsense, of course).

There was nothing really much faster than 144Hz when we did our research, and even those 144Hz monitors were *very* expensive at the time, and we had to exceed the spec of the cables to hit 144 (dual DVI capped at 1080p/120Hz).  I suspect the benefits of today's much-faster monitors are more to do with perceived hand-eye lag in twitch-type games and not perceived smoothness of motion.

Not really relevant, just a tangent lol.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

it should warn that its going to destroy the craft. before just "gone"