KSP2 Hype Train Thread

11 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

I suspect the benefits of today's much-faster monitors are more to do with perceived hand-eye lag in twitch-type games and not perceived smoothness of motion.

Ltt did a video on this, and came to mostly the same conclusions as far as vision is concerned. Where it gets interesting, even if your monitor is at a lower refresh rate, the faster frame rate meant that more uptodate data was making it into each frame. The sum total of reaction time and the newer data was measurable even though those frames never made it to the monitor. In short no you can't perceive the frames but there's an advantage to be had. Of course That's a twitch reaction type shooter. Doesn't really matter for most games.

28 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

I suspect the benefits of today's much-faster monitors are more to do with perceived hand-eye lag in twitch-type games and not perceived smoothness of motion.

Very true, I have known this for a long long time, but I just don't argue with them anymore, it is like a religious cult. 

22 minutes ago, Hutsul228 said:

There is a problem. I see no claws for asteroids and them either. Why nobody noticed it yet ?

Good catch - but it looks like they arent releasing any of the KSP1 DLC content in this first KSP2 EA Drop.  I'm sure they didnt forget about it, its just on the back burner.

All in all, it looks to have some decent features, but I am overall a bit disappointed. Not enough to be put me off the game, but I'd have expected a bit more than what we seem to be getting. The performance issue is a bit concerning - I am sure there is a good amount of optimization to be done, but at the same time the game is also supposed to handle a lot more gameplay systems and larger vessels than we have right now. So they need to optimize by more than the complexity will increase.

And while I didn't expect science, resource extraction (including claw) robotics or anything similar at this point, but I *would* have expected entry heat and thermal shielding, proper RCS and much better vessel statistics in the VAB. Not calculating TWR is really weird. How are you even supposed to see whether you have enough thrust to lift-off? Admittedly, entry heat is supposed to come soon, but I would still have expected a bit more features. 

18 minutes ago, MarcAbaddon said:

All in all, it looks to have some decent features, but I am overall a bit disappointed. Not enough to be put me off the game, but I'd have expected a bit more than what we seem to be getting. The performance issue is a bit concerning - I am sure there is a good amount of optimization to be done, but at the same time the game is also supposed to handle a lot more gameplay systems and larger vessels than we have right now. So they need to optimize by more than the complexity will increase.

And while I didn't expect science, resource extraction (including claw) robotics or anything similar at this point, but I *would* have expected entry heat and thermal shielding, proper RCS and much better vessel statistics in the VAB. Not calculating TWR is really weird. How are you even supposed to see whether you have enough thrust to lift-off? Admittedly, entry heat is supposed to come soon, but I would still have expected a bit more features. 

Early access. Very early access. 

Reentry heatting and aerodynamics visual forces were disabled for the build the content creators played. It must have been very buggy. Proper RCS? They had RCS, what you talking about? 

I will agree, not having the "Engineers statistics" is kind of worrying, but again, see the first line of this comment. 

Tbf, KSP 1 didn't have a TWR thing for the longest time. You kind of just had to guess. 

Just now, The Aziz said:

But once it got there it was a game changer (But I was using KER already). I don't want to launch my rockets with 1.005 or 2.8 twr. I want to know what engine/how many tanks do I need to launch at 1.2-1.4twr.

Same. 

5 minutes ago, DwightLee said:

According to one post the developers made early access will still not have reentry heating for a short period of time, but they are working on it. 

( of course I do worry about what a game developer calls "short" )

As any developer would say: "No reentey heating is currently A FEATURE"

Alright, my Beast Machine is all shiny and ready for launch; so in the words of a famous astronaut "let's light this candle!"

34 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

But once it got there it was a game changer (But I was using KER already). I don't want to launch my rockets with 1.005 or 2.8 twr. I want to know what engine/how many tanks do I need to launch at 1.2-1.4twr.

thrust/(mass*gravity) = TWR

The thud engine has a sea level thrust of 108kn so how much (x) can two thuds lift at sea level?

(108*2)/(x*9.8) = 1.1
216 = 1.1*(x*9.8)

196.36 = x9.8

x = 20

20 tons with 2 thuds will have a twr of 1.1 at sea level

216/(20*9.8) = 1.1

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio

I do hope they add this in game though, it was always tedious figuring this out every time you updated a build.

2 minutes ago, jacksawild said:

thrust/(mass*gravity) = TWR

The thud engine has a sea level thrust of 108kn so how much (x) can two thuds lift at sea level?

(108*2)/(x*9.8) = 1.1
216 = 1.1*(x*9.8)

196.36 = x9.8

x = 20

20 tons with 2 thuds will have a twr of 1.1 at sea level

216/(20*9.8) = 1.1

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio

I do hope they add this in game though, it was always tedious figuring this out every time you updated a build.

Real Kerbalnauts don't need math. We just apply the good ole Kerbal saying. 

d884p4u-dbed6f6e-e534-47be-8505-fd06af01

Nobody aside from serious  engineering nerds is going to use maths to play a game. And definitely not someone who just started and is wondering why the rocket at full throttle isn't moving.

Unless you play Eve online, then yeah, spreadsheets.

30 minutes ago, DwightLee said:

( of course I do worry about what a game developer calls "short" )

That's kind of the million Delta-V question at this point. how long does each 'stage' last, how long between patches and updates... For that matter, what may have changed between  the ESA showing and Release Day?

2 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

For that matter, what may have changed between  the ESA showing and Release Day?

Hopefully a bunch of hot fixes of bugs that the players encountered. Not talking about "we know, we're working on it" but "okay, noted, will look at that".

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

DVI is also legacy now, RIP, at least it was an good standard who became outdated, 
But I got an 55" TV from work.
It was used for video conferences but then customers wanted an dedicated system who they dumped for teams during the pandemic. Told that my TV stopped working and got it as it was not used. 

NICE

17 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Guys, we are just over 72 hours away from KSP 2 EA!

It's a little hard to get excited knowing that playing the game will be more work than fun. :sealed: Some of those bugs.. aiaiaiaia