KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 12/18/2022 at 2:32 AM, Minmus Taster said:

If Scott's doing the tutorials in KSP2 then I'm never going to question anything about the game again, it's automatically a masterpiece in my book.

God I'd love this so much. It's not just "oh wow I like Scott and he's in the game I love!". KSP experienced a boom in YouTube in the early days thanks to him, and still to this day you are learning new cool stuff about spaceflight in a channel of his that took off thanks to KSP, so ever since it started, both his platform and the game grew together. Many of his KSP videos revolve around IRL things the game doesn't cover, or things that occur IRL that the game illustrates pretty well, and videos from many years ago are still relevant when trying to prove a point or clear someone's doubt, like a 101 encyclopedia of sorts.

I'd say, it would have been a shame if Scott didn't show in the game in some sort of way just for his entire contribution alone. Having his voice immortalized as the teaching voice for newcomers would be legit one of the best features of this game alone.

FLY SAFE :)

Edited by MARL_Mk1

52 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Still over two months to wait.

I'm cautiously hopeful for a well optimized KSP2 with good frames.  Confident I will enjoy the game... just hoping this period of waiting for EA turns out successful for the team.

Hype.  Tempered.

I'm not worried about frame rate that much. Nate Simpson said in the interview with PC gamer, that the latest footage released was 3 months old and that they had significantly improved the frame rate and continued to do so. Of course, grain of salt is always advised, but with how he speaks with such passion about KSP 2, I have no reason to doubt him really. 

Of course, this is EA, that what's it's for, to catch bugs and for optimization. If the FPS isn't that great at launch of EA, it will slowly improve with updates, but a new update might also tank the FPS because it changed something under the hood, so choppy frames are almost a guarantee from time to time. 

-66 DAYS 00 HOURS 47 MINUTES 20 SECONDS-

Edited by GoldForest

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm not worried about frame rate that much. Nate Simpson said in the interview with PC gamer, that the latest footage released was 3 months old and that they had significantly improved the frame rate and continued to do so. Of course, grain of salt is always advised, but with how he speaks with such passion about KSP 2, I have no reason to doubt him really. 

Of course, this is EA, that what's it's for, to catch bugs and for optimization. If the FPS isn't that great at launch of EA, it will slowly improve with updates, but a new update might also tank the FPS because it changed something under the hood, so choppy frames are almost a guarantee from time to time. 

-66 DAYS 00 HOURS 47 MINUTES 20 SECONDS-

My actual concern for the team is that the game is good enough at EA release to generate interest in the non-KSP player.  For a casual person to see it on Steam, figure 'why not' give it a try and discover they like it.  I want the 'buzz' to be positive, not 'quirky little space game redux with major problems that might be worth a look down the line'.  Nothing takes the wind out of the sails like that.

Again - I'm confident I will like KSP2... I want my kids and their friends to be like 'hey - this is cool!'

(for which reason... I'm not recommending it to anyone until after I've seen it.  I will put up with a LOT for a KSP Two - but most people want something pretty damn close to finished before they jump on board.  Frankly - I will likely wait until after I've seen the Science update part of the roll-out to be sure.  If, then, I feel like it's a stand on its own two feet title, ready to be shared... I'll be an ambassador.  Until then, I don't feel it would be fair to the team to treat EA as anything other than a Beta I'm willing to test.)

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

My actual concern for the team is that the game is good enough at EA release to generate interest in the non-KSP player.  For a casual person to see it on Steam, figure 'why not' give it a try and discover they like it.  I want the 'buzz' to be positive, not 'quirky little space game redux with major problems that might be worth a look down the line'.  Nothing takes the wind out of the sails like that.

Again - I'm confident I will like KSP2... I want my kids and their friends to be like 'hey - this is cool!'

(for which reason... I'm not recommending it to anyone until after I've seen it.  I will put up with a LOT for a KSP Two - but most people want something pretty damn close to finished before they jump on board.  Frankly - I will likely wait until after I've seen the Science update part of the roll-out to be sure.  If, then, I feel like it's a stand on its own two feet title, ready to be shared... I'll be an ambassador.  Until then, I don't feel it would be fair to the team to treat EA as anything other than a Beta I'm willing to test.)

I believe it will be. KSP 2 EA launch will essentially be KSP 1 1.12, just with a face lift, a few new parts, and MANY under the hood upgrades of course. If they deliver as promised, I have no doubt that it is ready for EA. 

As for the giving a try, Intercept specifically started in one of the videos, that's what they want. They're targeting those people, as well as the people who passed over KSP 1. 

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

As for the giving a try, Intercept specifically started in one of the videos, that's what they want. They're targeting those people, as well as the people who passed over KSP 1. 

That is a challenge they've set for themselves.  I'm hoping it works out. 

There's a difference between someone who games regularly and willingly jumps on board EA titles - and someone who is very discerning/particular about their time and what they play.  The 'regular EA player' has a much higher tolerance for a lack of polish.  They generally like gaming and are willing to participate in the process of helping a studio make a good product; willingly giving up some polish for something interesting to do with their time.  The other player generally wants a polished game that they can just play.  Bugs, rather than being something to identify and patiently await a fix, break the immersion and their reaction is quite often negative.

I've three people in mind as I type this.  If the game is in a good state when I recommend it, there is every possibility their imaginations could be captured by KSP2 as mine was with KSP.  If it's not... they likely won't play it past a couple of hours.

Side note:  The fact that the Devs are willing to go full-on Open EA suggests they are confident.  Otherwise they'd have been better served with a KSP Forums Invitational Closed Beta - where those of us who've stuck around all these years (including some really talented players who know KSP like the back of their hand) could help 'fix it'.  I'm thinking they believe they don't need a closed Beta - which is either a mark of confidence or simply a factor of the current economics of 'release to EA to get revenue and protect the reputation' shennanigans that have become common.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

10 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Source?

Allegedly

Since new news comes every month, people were wondering what would come this month, and @Ghostii_Space mentioned that 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:47 AM, Ghostii_Space said:

December will be different than previous months. :wink: 

We have gotten a dev diary, so the idea is that a trailer could also be on the way, because the December holiday is generally a good time for marketing

On 12/20/2022 at 5:10 PM, Vl3d said:

So are you guys hyped for the new trailer allegedly dropping this Christmas? :D

Are you yourself alleging this or do you have something to back up what you are saying?

Edited by Deddly

36 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

The 'hint' wasn't 'Christmas'... it was 'soon'.

There's a good chance that ghosti's comment was just hinting at the most recent dev diary being released early. There's a chance of a christmas surprise but I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Edited by Strawberry

On 12/13/2022 at 8:34 PM, Pthigrivi said:

I can’t remember where I read this… I think it was Harry Frankfurt (thats his real name.) The ease at which BS is produced dwarfs the rate at which it can be debunked, and by then no one cares. The P = NP problem of our era. 

The name of this phenomenon is Brandolini's law for anyone interested.

4 hours ago, t_v said:

Allegedly

Since new news comes every month, people were wondering what would come this month, and @Ghostii_Space mentioned that 

We have gotten a dev diary, so the idea is that a trailer could also be on the way, because the December holiday is generally a good time for marketing

@Ghostii_Spaceare we getting a new KSP2 trailer for Christmas? You're the only person who can quell the rumors.

6 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

@Ghostii_Spaceare we getting a new KSP2 trailer for Christmas? You're the only person who can quell the rumors.

Rumors keep the community alive, if she left the hint at "something happening this December" then she's probably not saying more.

On the topic of sneak peeks though;

Easily the most stunning look we've had at the game via twitter, this game is gonna pretty that's for sure! It's really cool to see all the locations in the first game getting a facelift like this. Also anyone notice the big impact crater on Laythe? There were craters in KSP1 and even a sort of basin but this is extreme, perhaps this could explain the moons habitability?

300px-Laythe_Biome_Map_1.2.png

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

There were craters in KSP1 and even a sort of basin but this is extreme, perhaps this could explain the moons habitability?

Most people attribute the liquid oceans to tidal heating similar to Io. You would expect some big volcanism though.