KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 1/5/2023 at 3:04 PM, KalleHeHa said:

new massive nuclear engines

6mghTuPWVjuMx6cdKV3OOS6kxxIfzmXqtuGoeRel-lkxYGWtwNYpO3WP8K3sG01cKxawkqTBjeqgP7y_ISZ_8xit9MW3Bt2Bl65dlvIIb6_vMiNkMhZvbaenKLSku-mQ95-qOBIb23xmS29QaS03PfLlgqJr_X1oCoNZmFnPqF1Awqo7hfGkuX021PaPLw

I think looking at some of the VAB screenshots we've seen, this is a new model for the NERV rather than an entirely new engine.

vtqPtse.png

Look at the bottom left engine here. Guess the NERV is getting a facelift!

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

The dome, the bridge, the half cylinder hangars...

I tend to agree with you, it seems that R&D is just more spherical now.

Spoiler

aHVBLSn.png

Z675c15.png

But where is Mission Control? Has it been merged into another building, like the Administration one with the helipad? Or is it on top of the VAB?

Spoiler

QyiaSUI.png

27 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Mission control was the home for <career exclusive> contracts, don't think they're a thing now that we'll have Progression as main mode.

I think it has been said that contracts will no longer be a must like in carreer mode in KSP1 but still be there in some form for the players that want them. 

38 minutes ago, Datau03 said:

I think it has been said that contracts will no longer be a must like in carreer mode in KSP1 but still be there in some form for the players that want them. 

Has it? We know there will be other kinds of goals and rewards but I haven't heard anyone say contracts are coming back.

If anything, they will appear as form of "world's first" challenges. I don't see any sort of "right click to test part at speed and altitude" or "put some useless junk in desired orbit that will be of no use for the player" or "mine a resource and deliver it to planet X" (because I'll be doing that anyway if I want to expand my colonies)

Also, I think some repurposing is needed. It's the administration building where missions are being decided (since strategies in KSP1 were mostly eh) Mission control is where you should see previews and statuses of your missions, colonies, bases, trade routes, interstellar ships, in detail - without switching to every single one of them. Since it's all simulated in the background, why not.

Edited by The Aziz

14 hours ago, Ghostii_Space said:

I just uploaded and attached the file to the post.

May I ask how you uploaded it? I think you have access to the server's filesystem or something, but I want to be sure.

10 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

May I ask how you uploaded it?

It's just a setting on the forum software that allows some users to upload files instead of having to host them somewhere else.

10 hours ago, The Aziz said:

If anything, they will appear as form of "world's first" challenges. I don't see any sort of "right click to test part at speed and altitude" or "put some useless junk in desired orbit that will be of no use for the player" or "mine a resource and deliver it to planet X" (because I'll be doing that anyway if I want to expand my colonies)

I agree with you. While there are some fringe and fun ideas that encourage design creativity - like making tourists pass out - most of the missions should be done out of necessity. Like in the KSP2 cinematic trailer - most missions should be stepping stones to explore and achieve something greater.

4 hours ago, Datau03 said:

Right, missions, but not necessarily “contracts.” We do know money is probably out, and the process by which you accept contracts and get advances and penalties for failure might not make sense in that context. We also know they’re trying to avoid failure states in which you’ve run out of resources and can’t launch anymore, so you probably aren’t reliant on completing missions to provide you with resources directly either.  I suspect Aziz is probably right that they’re more like passive World First contracts, though I do hope the UI is greatly improved so players know what the goals and rewards are and there’s a more sensible tree through which they’re unlocked and presented. There could be a number of other game-defined goals like this, we just haven’t heard confirmation of that. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 1/6/2023 at 11:55 PM, obney kerman said:

I think looking at some of the VAB screenshots we've seen, this is a new model for the NERV rather than an entirely new engine.

vtqPtse.png

Look at the bottom left engine here. Guess the NERV is getting a facelift!

Agree, note that its mostly 1.25 meter engines here under small. 
They has an larger nuclear thermal engine with an optional oxygen injection afterburner and movable nozzle extension for high or low pressure use.