KSP2 Hype Train Thread

On 1/5/2023 at 8:12 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

(i.e. the 'What is that thing' thing on top of the rocket)

ss_e8420e5fdbcfcb0d1ae35605e8ff58d66deea

I'm curious as to why the boosters have fins near the top as well.  Doesn't that just raise the aerodynamic center closer to the center of mass and lower stability?  With that big thing at the top you'd think the aerodynamic center would already be way high. I guess maybe that's just the KSP1 model and in KSP2 it's closer to reality.

6 minutes ago, Dinkledash said:

I'm curious as to why the boosters have fins near the top as well.  Doesn't that just raise the aerodynamic center closer to the center of mass and lower stability?  With that big thing at the top you'd think the aerodynamic center would already be way high. I guess maybe that's just the KSP1 model and in KSP2 it's closer to reality.

You're right, though, but there are more fins at the bottom than at the top and the thing at the top will contribute a lot to shifting the CoM higher than the CoL. The fins are probably there so when the ship turns, both the top and bottom are encouraged to rotate by aero forces. I can't say if it's more efficient or not, though.

50 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

You're right, though, but there are more fins at the bottom than at the top and the thing at the top will contribute a lot to shifting the CoM higher than the CoL. The fins are probably there so when the ship turns, both the top and bottom are encouraged to rotate by aero forces. I can't say if it's more efficient or not, though.

There's an equal amount of fins top and bottom. 6 on top, 6 on bottom. *This assumes that the fins on the core stage are in 3 way symmetry like the SRBs are*

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

There's an equal amount of fins top and bottom. 6 on top, 6 on bottom. *This assumes that the fins on the core stage are in 3 way symmetry like the SRBs are*

Have I lost it? I can't see fins towards the top on the right booster though. I can only see two fins on the booster closest to the POV and those look like two way symmetry. 

3 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

Have I lost it? I can't see fins towards the top on the right booster though. I can only see two fins on the booster closest to the POV and those look like two way symmetry. 

The fins on the right booster and pretty much lined up perfectly with the camera, so by optical illusion they are invisible to the naked eye.

You can see them just barely if you zoom in and focus.

Edited by GoldForest

23 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The fins on the right booster and pretty much lined up perfectly with the camera, so by optical illusion they are invisible to the naked eye.

You can see them just barely if you zoom in and focus.

Yeah, okay thought those where the external "railings/fuel lines" that go down the booster (because of the missing shadow), but now that I saw that the shadow is strangely detached on the fin one closest to us too, I guess you're right. 

2 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

I can only hope KSP2 will one day capture this level of awe and majesty as we explore the stars..

Oh definitely. I can guarantee the video you linked was sped up by 500x to achieve a bearable framerate. Fortunately, KSP 2 is being developed by developers :)

12 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

Entropian has just uploaded a video tribute to KSP1, possibly the last for that game. It's a masterpiece.

I can only hope KSP2 will one day capture this level of awe and majesty as we explore the stars..

Wow, what a ride that video was. What an ensemble of possibilities we have in KSP 1, on to another decade of KSP 1 and 2. 

39 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

Entropian has just uploaded a video tribute to KSP1, possibly the last for that game. It's a masterpiece.

Thank you!  I appreciate it!

25 minutes ago, Snafu225 said:

Wow, what a ride that video was.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Nicely done @Entropian

Thank you both for your kind words and the ping :D

36 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I can guarantee the video you linked was sped up by 500x to achieve a bearable framerate.

Only around 2x maximum when framerate was a problem :)

10 hours ago, Entropian said:

Only around 2x maximum when framerate was a problem :)

How many frames did you get with the triple Daedalus engined interstellar craft next to the fueling depot? 1 FPM? Also, holy cow, not 1, not 2, but 3 Daedalus pulse drives? You really wanted to go lightspeed didn't you?

6 hours ago, The Aziz said:

So we can see KSP 1.12.7 in the future!

Also, 42 days before KSP2, it has to mean something.

Reveal hidden contents

Probably that it's 42 days before KSP2.

Eh, More like 43 at the time of your posting. As of my posting this, we have (Assuming a launch at exactly 12 PM CST): 42 Days, 12 hours, 2 minutes, and 5 seconds.

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

How many frames did you get with the triple Daedalus engined interstellar craft next to the fueling depot? 1 FPM? Also, holy cow, not 1, not 2, but 3 Daedalus pulse drives? You really wanted to go lightspeed didn't you?

Around 15ish fps.  The 3 Daedaluses are a consequence of Tweakscale being buggy as usual xD.  I wanted to use one large one, but Tweakscale wasn't having it, so I ended up using 3.

9 minutes ago, Entropian said:

Around 15ish fps.  The 3 Daedaluses are a consequence of Tweakscale being buggy as usual xD.  I wanted to use one large one, but Tweakscale wasn't having it, so I ended up using 3.

Really? 15? Do you play KSP on NASA's super computer? 

Just now, Entropian said:

Basic specs are a Ryzen 9 7950X CPU, Nvidia 3090 GPU, and 128GB RAM (this was due to a mishap xD, I don't need the 128 gigs :D)

Not bad. Not bad at all. Also, 128 gigs? Damn. You could run like... 6 installs of KSP with that. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

You could run like... 6 installs of KSP with that. 

I did multi-instance once for Imagination Takes Flight, but it was pretty laggy from KSP eating my GPU for breakfast.

Edited by Entropian