KSP2 Hype Train Thread

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

there are modders waiting to fill the gaps left by Intercept

I expect nothing from modders, they don't owe us anything because they don't get paid. Anyway, I'm sure the game will look great eventually, really not worried. Right now they're optimizing for potato PCs. Real question is.. will weather visuals be included in the game or be released as a DLC? That's where the real immersion game changer is.

Edited by Vl3d

Just now, Vl3d said:

I expect nothing from modders, they don't owe us anything because they don't get paid. Anyway, I'm sure the game will look great eventually, really not worried. Real question is.. will weather visuals be included in the game or be released as a DLC? That's where the real immersion game changer is.

Not saying they do, but there will always be modders. 

"Modders going to mod." - Nertea

As far as weather visuals, I don't remember what Nate said about weather in any of his interviews. I don't think it's a priority though. We might not see weather effects like wind or iceing for a while, if ever. 

Saying it's early is a bit of a stretch when we've seen these amazing visuals as far back as late 2021/early 2022 (Feature video 4 and 5). Did they back off from them? Why?

Edited by The Aziz

3 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Saying it's early is a bit of a stretch when we've seen these amazing visuals as far back as late 2021/early 2022 (Feature video 4 and 5). Did they back off from them? Why?

True. I'm just tempering my expectations. Trying to be realist. I mean, KSP 1 changed drastically several times over its EA, and even outside of EA. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

There's also the fact that Intercept will be willing to change or improve things over the course of EA. 

This what I assume. I think lots of small changes and improvements will be added in over time. I mentioned the hue shift because it seems like somewhat low hanging fruit and would make a big visual difference. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

This what I assume. I think lots of small changes and improvements will be added in over time. I mentioned the hue shift because it seems like somewhat low hanging fruit and would make a big visual difference. 

Precisely. It's not like this whole discussion is about redesigning the rendering system or implementing complex systems into the graphics; it's about small details that add a lot to the overall experience.

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

TBH, I really don’t care about the cosmetics.   I’ll be happy when the gameplay mechanics are just right.   Cosmetics are nice, but they’re not why I’m here. 

I have to agree with you - and found myself quipping about the graphics yesterday (nearly posted a gripe about the shadows of buildings not tracking Kerbol). 

Sadly I think this is an artifact of us only having video to look at.  Once we get the game - we can start complaining about something meaningful! 

(oh joy say the Moderators!

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

TBH, I really don’t care about the cosmetics.   I’ll be happy when the gameplay mechanics are just right.   Cosmetics are nice, but they’re not why I’m here. 

Oh 100% agreed, and Im sure for this initial release phase they're mostly focused on UI and performance and lots of things that aren't obvious to folks like us just looking at gameplay vids. I think things already look amazing and Im sure over time they will look better and better as they get the nuts and bolts working. 

I'm not caring for graphics for graphics sake.  If there will be clouds, then they shouldn't always move in the exact same direction over a day/night cycle.   I get that KSC is on the equator and we might be seeing the somewhat predictable winds as on earth blowing from east to west at the equator, they don't run on a rail and the speed varies quite a bit.

They need to mix it up a little.  Faster wind at sunrise from the east as the atmo expands beneath the sun, some pushback from the west from afternoon through sunset, some veering throughout the day, more still at night...

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

Which is funnier because yesterday's footage shows than clouds move in roughly North-South direction.

That is what I thought, but at night the "milky way" appeared in line with the wind so I thought it must be east.  But yeah, sure looks like from the northeast-ish if not north given KSC orientation.  But maybe it is just a simple demo and not fully fleshed out

I think the stream was either in the editor mode, or without any after effects, just the game, and render, so no SAO, Ambient Occlusion, Scatter (not clouds).. etc.

so i guess the game is either threethings

Not fully compiled with everything graphically

or we are far far off from what we been shown in alpha videos, and everything needs to be stripped just for it to work right now.

its in editor mode in the game testing area while developing the game.. which would explain the horrible rendering and only 30fps.

I hope they keep the skybox. It reminds me of this soviet song about cosmonauts

And dream we not of the thundorous spaceport,
Not of this icy expanse,
We're dreaming of the grass outside the home,
The green, green grass
It's about home , so close but yet so far away

6 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Is there anything interesting happening over there? Last time I checked there was a literal tsunami of posts, hard to read anything, let alone join whatever discussion there was. So I quit.

Nothing notable as far as I can tell. I'm just in the discord for the Intercept and KSP 2 announcements really. I have a feeling announcements might go live on the discord first. If they're not first, at least I'll get a notification that something has come out instead of having to log on to the forums and look around to see if anything has happened, that is if I'm online at the time. 

Edited by GoldForest

25 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Is there anything interesting happening over there? Last time I checked there was a literal tsunami of posts, hard to read anything, let alone join whatever discussion there was. So I quit.

Nothing in particular. It is somewhat spammy and filled with nonsense. 
The first day was like a car crash that you couldn’t take your eyes off of, though. Moderately entertaining. 

7 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Nothing in particular. It is somewhat spammy and filled with nonsense. 
The first day was like a car crash that you couldn’t take your eyes off of, though. Moderately entertaining. 

Sounds a lot like this thread.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Bit chaotic still but it might become more chill at some point.