Jump to content

KSP2 Hype Train Thread


GregroxMun

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

i would say giving them 1-2 weeks heck even 3 weeks will be perfect.

I suspect they'll be under an embargo until right up to a short time before EA drops.  They may even have a NDA for early Beta access stuff - like they get a week to acclimatize and find/report bugs with none of that releasable... then they get a patch... then they get told 'okay, you can use this build in your videos'.

The tension is time.  

Expanding into a closed beta will mean new eyes, machines and unexpected builds.  New bugs.  The team will want a shot at fixing those things - last thing they want is a Day Zero 'Blooper Reel' showing all the problems.  That will take time.

CCs also need time to record, edit and get their videos ready for production.  That takes time too: so they may be limited to a more mature build before including Beta Content in their vids... but they'll be clamoring for as much time with the game as possible, too.

I'm guessing - mind you, guessing - they'll get a build in the first week or two of February and be told, 'go nuts'.  We might see hype videos a week out - or Day Zero.  But I doubt we'll see anything before Feb 17.

Maybe we need a bracket?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dave1904 said:

A team of 50 qualified testers are better than 1 million unqualified players. Developers hire testers because it works. Early access by definition is publicly funding your game development. After 4 years of development someone is not to keen on continuing financial support for the game and that is a bad sign. They are releasing the game to get a return for their investment man and when it comes to money they do not care about passion anymore. 

Maybe KSP2 is going to be the best game ever but dont tell me my arguments are unwarranted. You are making emotional arguments about passion and making guarantees about a developer that has never sold you a game and a publisher that has a history of exploiting their playerbase. 

Hype is good when it comes to games but more often than not you have a devastated playerbase and the forums become toxic. Honestly I hope I am wrong about everything because I really like this community and do not want it to be disapointed. 

No they didnt because they didnt have the money to delay it again. Its business. 

Depend on that you want to test, professionals are much better of reporting bugs in an way who make them reproducable and therefor fixable. And they are good at systematically testing stuff, knowing how thing should work while players simply accept that as an feature. 
Like how the oscar tank in KSP 1 can not be surface mounted unlike other cylindrical tanks. 
Players are better at stress testing because the large number, this is why all MMO and similar games has public betas. Not all data here is useful however but it stress test servers and systems. 
They are also better at finding more obscure bugs and exploits. 

More likely they was told to generate some revenue and Early access solved that while having extra benefits. 
As I say it the downside is that it delays the final game because they has to bring each of the chapters up to release standard before moving on, work on other parts don't stop, science is probably lots of stuff added to bodies and balancing. Little coding so coders work on resources and the delivery system but it still slows things down

Edited by magnemoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, magnemoe said:

Depend on that you want to test, professionals are much better of reporting bugs in an way who make them reproducable and therefor fixable. And they are good at systematically testing stuff, knowing how thing should work while players simply accept that as an feature. 
Like how the oscar tank in KSP 1 can not be surface mounted unlike other cylindrical tanks. 
Players are better at stress testing because the large number, this is why all MMO and similar games has public betas. Not all data here is useful however but it stress test servers and systems. 
They are also better at finding more obscure bugs and exploits. 

This - also; we keep focusing on humans as reporting - when they can easily set up the launcher to submit crash logs which incorporate information about the game state.  That's probably better than,

"I can't mount a Oscar to my OKTO, sideways"

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at it this way,

 

either he’s in the beta and is going to catch flack for it. Or. He’s not in the beta and is going to catch flack for it.

 

either way he ends up catching flack. Hopefully he has a Kevlar catchers mit.

Edited by Drakenred65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget, a bunch of creators were invited to the studio pre-covid. Who do you really think they are going to show to first? That is their first line of qa outside the wire so to speak. They've been NDA'd since the announcement.  No need to get new paperwork. I'm not saying they've been tapped at all until this point,  but they will be. They either have access already, or will at the latest a couple weeks pre-release. This was going to happen regardless of ea. Just the marketing justifies it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Quibble; Full Release used to be the standard.  For at least 10 years, some form of EA or extended beta are becoming more common.  While I think complexity has a part of this, and cash flow (early monetization) another... it's just becoming kind of a habit within the industry.

(Outside of Reskinned Generic First Person Shooter Fifteen - Now With Extra Powerups and UberUBERarmor!!!!!111!)

I think those of us who have been gaming since the 90s are acculturated to thinking games need to be 'finished' on release... my kid has very little expectations of the current industry; standards don't seem to be 'standard' or mean much.

This, now early access has mostly been indy games, supported Mount & Blade before KSP 1, had lots of fun but was pretty burned out of the game at release but got my money worth, also a couple of other who I grew bored of but got value for money. 
Also EVE online is 20 year old and not done, MMO changed how games was made. After WOW you got an ton of crappy MMO trying to get some money. 
Later we got other types of live services, and it became an jungle. Some well made games from Counter strike to Fortnight made loads of money, some who put work into it and it failed, and so much junk and scams. 
And your reputation has an value, not sure if it can be an tax write off?  EA: our public relation division is an Superfund project:valwow:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I gotta say even though there are some incredible visual mods the parts in ksp2 look far better then anything Ive seen in ksp1. Visual mods tend to forget those which is sad as they're the main thing you look at. I can't wait to see a spacecraft with red hot radiators.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi everyone.

What do You think about how Private Division should celebrate the last month until release? I was thinking about big clock on main page with countdown T-30:00:00:00 like in rockets launches. Maybe some nice screenshots from VAB showing daily progress of assembling new rocket and on last day before release that rocket is on launchpad. This is my idea.

What are Yours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, snkiz said:

Don't forget, a bunch of creators were invited to the studio pre-covid.

It wasn’t just creators.  It was community members they could get to Seattle on the cheap.    @Snark asked the forums for questions they’re wanted asked of Nate when they sat down for an interview/chat.   I don’t know if they were NDA’d for that, but it wouldn’t make sense if they were for public interviews, and it was a different studio completely.    I would easily assume any future interactions with the studios would have their own NDA’s that are handled by each situation they cover. 

Overlapping threads of hype have also been merged. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2023 at 5:46 AM, GoldForest said:

4ElQE2V.png

Hmmmm. Don't know if real or if Matt is trolling us. 

I think he made a mistake. I don't think it happened for very long before he stopped and then we never saw it again.

Its good for him to get it so he can give us a in depth review next month. And its good for advertising for the game.

Am I jealous? Definitely but I don't take it personally. Good for him.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

I think he made a mistake. I don't think it happened for very long before he stopped and then we never saw it again.

Its good for him to get it so he can give us a in depth review next month. And its good for advertising for the game.

Am I jealous? Definitely but I don't take it personally. Good for him.

 

 

He’s also known for slipping up on information security.    There was that one live stream where he accidentally revealed his YouTube account password, and the resulting spammers that took over cost him about half his viewers.    So yeah, maybe it’s true.  
 

But all the better, cause it means there’s a playable version, A select group of players have gotten their hands on it, and it should only help us out as the release date approaches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

He’s also known for slipping up on information security.    There was that one live stream where he accidentally revealed his YouTube account password, and the resulting spammers that took over cost him about half his viewers.    So yeah, maybe it’s true.  

Ouch. I had no idea.

8 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But all the better, cause it means there’s a playable version, A select group of players have gotten their hands on it, and it should only help us out as the release date approaches.

True. Fresh eyes are always a good thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

True. Fresh eyes are always a good thing.

Ok that's the bug tester/hunter in me speaking ;)

The fact they get over a month with the game allows for them to get a real feel for the game and possibly an impression of what the first month or so will be like for updates/fixes etc.

And perhaps some of them will record some of the interesting bugs that we would never get to see otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Makes me wonder what sort of content they'll be working on.

 

Will it be your standard review type content? Not really sure because the game is EA, so it's not finished, and reviewing a not finished game seems a bit pointless?

Will it be tutorial type content? Quite a bit has been made about the new in game tutorials, so I would imagine the KSP2 team are hoping they'll be good enough to make a tutorial video unnecessary (at lest this early - the in game tutorials should be good enough to get you to orbit, and to be able to do a transfer to the nearby moons / planets?).

Will it be basic play throughs? This seems the most likely, imo. 

 

Whatever it is, I probably won't be watching it for the same reason I'll be avoiding the forums for a few weeks. I want to discover things for myself. I don't want spoilers. I want to see the new stuff first hand.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Anth12 said:

I think he made a mistake. I don't think it happened for very long before he stopped and then we never saw it again.

Its good for him to get it so he can give us a in depth review next month. And its good for advertising for the game.

Am I jealous? Definitely but I don't take it personally. Good for him.

Saw an video of him, first was some KSP 2 clips then he launched an rocket who looked like the letter 2, this was in KSP 1. 

 

57 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

Makes me wonder what sort of content they'll be working on.

Will it be your standard review type content? Not really sure because the game is EA, so it's not finished, and reviewing a not finished game seems a bit pointless?

Will it be tutorial type content? Quite a bit has been made about the new in game tutorials, so I would imagine the KSP2 team are hoping they'll be good enough to make a tutorial video unnecessary (at lest this early - the in game tutorials should be good enough to get you to orbit, and to be able to do a transfer to the nearby moons / planets?).

Will it be basic play throughs? This seems the most likely, imo. 

Whatever it is, I probably won't be watching it for the same reason I'll be avoiding the forums for a few weeks. I want to discover things for myself. I don't want spoilers. I want to see the new stuff first hand.

They ran obvious review that is included.  Two target audiences, people who has played KSP 1 and people who tested KSP 1 but found it to ugly or bugged to enjoy but might enjoy KSP 2, for the later group the lack of advanced features is not that important. 

Edited by magnemoe
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Saw an video of him, first was some KSP 2 clips then he launched an rocket who looked like the letter 2, this was in KSP 1. 

We're talking about Matt Lowne, not Scott Manley. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Saw an video of him, first was some KSP 2 clips then he launched an rocket who looked like the letter 2, this was in KSP 1. 

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

We're talking about Matt Lowne, not Scott Manley. :D

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

I thought it was Scott Manley who had that tag. 

No. Look at the screenshot again. See the little black triangle at the bottom of the black text box?

It’s a pop up from hovering over the indicated persons name. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, dave1904 said:

Early access by definition is publicly funding your game development.

Which is no different than using kickstarter or crowd-funding for something.  It's a proven model to raise necessary funds to create/finish a product.  Explain how this is good for everybody else, but bad for KSP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sighs.

I think I should eddit my tag to say playing Fallout 5 Pre Pre Pre Alpha. Maybe then people will realize just how much of nothing this is.

 

look either he has a copy or he doesn’t. Either way what the peanut brittle does it matter. Your still not getting in untill the 24 th.

Edited by Drakenred65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Drakenred65 said:

Sighs.

I think I should eddit my tag to say playing Fallout 5 Pre Pre Pre Alpha. Maybe then people will realize just how much of nothing this is.

 

look either he has a copy or he doesn’t. Either way what the peanut brittle does it matter. Your still not getting in untill the 24 th.

I don't care who has a copy of what version of anything, so long as I can legally purchase my own copy when it gets released.  Until then, nothing matters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...