KSP2 Hype Train Thread

3 minutes ago, DoctorKerman said:

On closer inspection, it’s probably just a fuel tank.

The part in the middle? It's not a xenon fuel tank (the part behind it is), and I don't know why the probe would be carrying another fuel type

2 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

Looks like an SAS module or maybe a lens cap.

It'd be awesome to have space telescopes, perhaps as the way to discover the neighboring solar systems?

Not sure what you're seeing, unless you mean the far side of the probe; that's an ion engine.

In case you missed it

Notes from 'Marketing Interview' with Ara Joseffson, Senior Marketing Manager for Private Division (observation- interviewer isn't really a KSP player; played it 'a bit' in 7th/8th grade, sounds like it):

Take Two's first EA title.  (Noted that Squad's KSP was EA at first, too)

"All of... pretty much all of the" foundation of the game is complete / will be complete for EA.  Some of the other parts (Colony, on) still in development - so unfair to hold later game stuff till that's polished; thus EA.  The other stuff are 'huge expansions'.

EA unlikely to be perpetual because they have a clear roadmap.  Clear focus of the early part of EA will be balance (engines, etc) and focus on onboarding.   But for Intercept, 1.0 is a clear picture - they know where they are going.

The interviewer wants to know 'what's the balance between simplifying the game (Casual-ifying) KSP2 and its current audience who likes the technical difficulty and realism.  Ara does a good job of threading this - 'They don't want to take away the difficulty of the game' - but the things that might have been difficult for new / inexperienced players should be made easier by tooltips, UI and video tutorials (vs text-heavy).  "None of the challenge has been taken away - if anything, it's harder.  Colonies and Interstellar are harder."

Some things that were added in KSP as mods (alarm clock, planners, etc), are now integrated into the game, which will make it work really well on more PCs.  Base code works better with 'mod ideas' being part of the original plan, rather than tacked on.

Happy with and supporting Mod scene.

Colonies must be built - and uses the same physics system of the base game.  It will be Kerbal; reactive to terrain and physics.  So players will have to have a Kerbal strategy to how and why and where you build it.  All of these factors will have 'a gameplay impact'.  Colonies will not be "an aesthetic building game."  Partnering with real-world colony and hab planners (reference: ESA tie-in from KSP).  Orbital colonies will be easier; but landed colonies will be more difficult because of the physics and terrain of different places.  (You can build one wherever you can figure out how to build one)

Goals, narrative aspects, lore - will come out later with 'Progression System' to 'unlock mysteries of the universe' - but not a required part of the game; players can go for, follow the proscriptive aspects if they choose to... but they'll be there, emergent, for players who want that kind of thing in the game.

Don't want to alienate current players who like the realism / difficulty; will do collaborations with real-world agencies... but not likely to collaborate with fictional franchises or games (Star Wars/Star Trek/Fortnight - yes, this was a question).  If someone wants to mod those elements in... fine, but nothing official is likely.  So collaborations will be NASA, ESA, ULA - etc.

Interstellar - 2 additional solar systems confirmed, will not be the only additional solar systems.  Going interstellar is HARD.  And the other planets create harder puzzles, like endgame content for more advanced players.  Might be 'a true endgame' at some point - related to the Progression System 'lore' stuff.

Multiplayer - WAAAAAAY down the line "So Far Off".  At the very least it will be Co-Op.  Players can work together - one can be the orbital planner / pilot & 'handle all the flight' while someone else can build a colony (role-play different aspects if desired).  Players don't have to be in the same SOI at the same time... BUT - "It's Still a LONG ways off"  ("very challenging technological feat that I'm sure the engineers are battling with")

but - "I know they've figured out quite a bit of it".

Delay - Covid slowed things down massively.  Security, work from home, etc.  Covid did not impact the vision of the game.  A lot of the 'slowdown' was the 'tech side'.

Spoiler

Warning: This is a HORRIBLE interview.  You will want to FF to only those times where Ara is talking.

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Delay - Covid slowed things down massively.  Security, work from home, etc.  Covid did not impact the vision of the game.  A lot of the 'slowdown' was the 'tech side'.

Honestly I've never gotten more work done than the 6w I was working from home in 2020. No commute, no distractions, no being yanked around. That's probably a peculiarity of working for a small business where I have more control.

Edited by Pthigrivi

36 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

That's probably a peculiarity of working for a small business where I have more control.

Ara does mention the aspects of security/secrecy and the work-from-home challenge.  

Implication was that Take-Two had (has) great concerns about protecting their IP and investment and it took weeks to solve how to get people the machines to work on and establish procedures for work flow, sharing and securing the project.  Not a whole lot of detail - but the 'work from home' challenge was real, and did result in a very real slow down of production.

But the thing he stresses is that it did not result in a dumbed down vision but rather the technological needs slowed things down more than anything (I heard this as both the WFH aspects as well as solving the physics / programming challenges) - the tech side was hard.  I also interpret this as a 'back to the drawing board' type thing with regard to getting the right people in place to push the development in the direction they wanted to go... rather than what it may have been when the studio split happened (this last bit is a LOT of interpretation / assumption - but it might have been true).

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Ara does mention the aspects of security/secrecy and the work-from-home challenge.  

Implication was that Take-Two had (has) great concerns about protecting their IP and investment and it took weeks to solve how to get people the machines to work on and establish procedures for work flow, sharing and securing the project.  Not a whole lot of detail - but the 'work from home' challenge was real, and did result in a very real slow down of production.

Oh for sure. I protected our IP by unplugging my desktop and carrying it back to my house, and setting up a CAD file merge protocol with 2 other people on Google drive. Guessing that wasn't an option for T2 haha

Edited by Pthigrivi

7 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Oh for sure. I protected our IP by unplugging my desktop and carrying it back to my house, and setting up a CAD file merge protocol with 2 other people on Google drive. Guessing that wasn't an option for T2 haha

In an industry as leaky as video games?  Even Bethesda which untill that point we’re notorious for not leaking sprung a leak. Heck never mind that, I know my dads old workplace bought out a warehouse to put staff in so they had decent distancing, and finally rebuilt his floor to eliminate all cubicles and replaced them with full floor to ceiling quasi offices, including doors, on a one “office” per three former cubicles basis, before they shifted to a more normal work from home hybrid set up.

strange to think of that as a more normal setup.

16 minutes ago, Drakenred65 said:

In an industry as leaky as video games?  Even Bethesda which untill that point we’re notorious for not leaking sprung a leak. Heck never mind that, I know my dads old workplace bought out a warehouse to put staff in so they had decent distancing, and finally rebuilt his floor to eliminate all cubicles and replaced them with full floor to ceiling quasi offices, including doors, on a one “office” per three former cubicles basis, before they shifted to a more normal work from home hybrid set up.

strange to think of that as a more normal setup.

I wish I could do more hybrid. I work for a very small firm and the principal really prefers the in-person collab environment, which definitely has its advantages given how much what we do revolves around real materials. Selfishly though from a pure design/production standpoint Im just much more efficient when I have no distractions and I can control my own clock. 

58 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

666 hours to go...

Not going to Ma.. Duna on my first trip that's for sure, you guys can check it out and let me know

You've got your uh... hours wrong.

28*24 = 672.

+5 (Discord says 5AM release time)= 677

+12 (Assuming Discord is wrong and it's at noon CST) = 684

3 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

Looks like an SAS module or maybe a lens cap.

It'd be awesome to have space telescopes, perhaps as the way to discover the neighboring solar systems? Or, maybe you already know of the neighboring solar systems, but you use the telescope to get more information if you'd rather know what planets are there and their orbits before arriving. Hmm... suggestions material.

Telescopes being a mechanism of discovering planets in different solar systems was confirmed by nate long ago. He didn't specify about space telescopes, but it's hard to imagine they would pass on the opportunity to include some of the most influential space programs.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Don't want to alienate current players who like the realism / difficulty; will do collaborations with real-world agencies... but not likely to collaborate with fictional franchises or games (Star Wars/Star Trek/Fortnight - yes, this was a question).  If someone wants to mod those elements in... fine, but nothing official is likely.  So collaborations will be NASA, ESA, ULA - etc.

They also mentioned something along the lines of recreating influential missions like we got with the comets update

3 minutes ago, Nirgal said:

That's depressing, the source I've been following without question has been shaving time off 

https://howlongagogo.com/date/2023/february/24

Looks like they are counting down to 12:00 AM on Feb 24th, in which the timer is correct. 

Looks like whoever made it didn't account for the release time of 5AM or 12PM. 

So, you have a countdown to Feb 24th, yes, but you're missing the hours for the exact launch time. Which to be honest, we truely don't know what that time is. We're all just guessing. 

I go with 12PM because that's the most common time games usually release at. 

Edited by GoldForest

12 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Only few hours left until we know what 27th January means.

9AM PST to be precise. 

For anyone not savvy in time zone conversions, 9AM PST Equals:

10 AM MST
11 AM CST
12 PM EST

And for the international time people: 5PM GMT

Useful link for anyone who wants to figure out their specific timezone: PST to CST to EST to MST to GMT - Savvy Time

Just add your own timezone. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 minutes ago, gussi111 said:

Is this shadow supposed to look this sharp?

RXsdgqh.png

Not really, no. While the IRL terminator line does kind of have an abrupt total darkness, there should at least be a smooth shadow that leads up to it like this:

Terminator-Line.jpg

Of course, this is Early Access and that Beta image is old, months old. 

They may have added shadow softening since then.

But again, Early Access. If there's no shadow softness before the terminator, then we can get them to add it by violently and without hesitation pounding on Intercept Game's office doors and demand they do something about it!... or we can submit feedback/bug reports. 

Edited by GoldForest