KSP2 Hype Train Thread

I think I'll update to a 3060 first later this year, then end up upgrading everything else. My i7 7700 will hold up just fine for now.

And I say later this year with the hopes that a 3060 won't cost as much as my 1060 used to cost 7 years ago, being an already 2 year old card.

Edited by MARL_Mk1

Maybe I'm just an old gamer now. But I remember the days of needing to upgrade my PC every 4 to 5 years to play the newest games. And if I didn't have cash handy, I'd have to hold off playing the newest stuff until I could make the upgrade.

The  GTX1060 came out 6.5 years ago.

7 hours ago, Sunforge said:

Well, so much for improved performance on mid-ranged PCs...

From the Discord faq:

“For additional context:
`Minimum is 1080p at Low Settings`
`Recommended is 1440p at High Settings`

These systems requirements are to ensure a high-quality experience while playing KSP2 in a variety of in-game scenarios.

KSP 2 will work across a wide variety of hardware beyond what is listed in our recommended specs, with performance scaling based on the size and complexity of the crafts you build. 

Throughout the Early Access period, our development team will continue to prioritize performance optimization to ensure an optimal gameplay experience for as many <@&1039964507885289544> as possible.

We hear you and we take your feedback very seriously. You are a core part of the development process, so please continue to share your expectations for what you want your KSP2 experience to be.”

6 hours ago, Alexoff said:

This is not a real frame of KSP2, here is a real frame of the game

xM2UQbn.jpg

Sure, and that does not need an 2060 but building stuff to go interstellar probably needs based on internal tests.
Games system requirements tend to grow over time. KSP 1 started as 32 bit and ended as 64 bit only. 
Same with Elder Scroll online an MMO I play.
Now KSP 2 will not be an 11 year long process like 1, but probably 2-3 and they might get legal issues if you buy an gaming laptop now but can not do the endgame in 3 years. 

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

It doesn't matter. There's no point in advertising min specs that only run a 300 part ship. The game has to run well for all gameplay situations. Including multiplayer and interstellar and colonies and multiple 1000+ parts spaceships on the screen.

Vl3d. Read the room. 

2 hours ago, SolarAdmiral said:

Maybe I'm just an old gamer now. But I remember the days of needing to upgrade my PC every 4 to 5 years to play the newest games. And if I didn't have cash handy, I'd have to hold off playing the newest stuff until I could make the upgrade.

The  GTX1060 came out 6.5 years ago.

Exactly, I am 63 years old, been doing this since the beginning of computer gaming. If you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming, you have to keep a pretty up to date PC.  I am running a 3080, and I fully expect to need feel the need to replace it in another couple of years. 

1 minute ago, LHACK4142 said:

...and KSP1 did it on a crappy work laptop from 2013.

Going to cut KSP2 any slack for coming out 11 years after KSP1?

That's a laptop that came out 2 years after KSP1. So we should compare to the performance of KSP2 on a crappy work laptop from 2025.

17 minutes ago, DwightLee said:

If you want to be on the cutting edge of gaming, you have to keep a pretty up to date PC. 

And it works the other way too. In 4 years, KSP2 will be back down to running on a potato again.

I understand folks can't afford to keep up on the cutting edge, but you can give it a couple years and the hardware to run it will be low end and cheap or used and even cheaper.

I feel like the discussion misses three big points:

1. Something like 90% of people who paid for KSP1 never landed on Mun. Which means 90% of people who will drop money on KSP2 will not have the persistence to get to the point of 500 part colony fleets. The 10% that do, will likely be just fine.

2. They are designing this game for approachable specs at 1.0. The bell curve of “what do you have under the hood” will shift between now and 1.0.

3. Early access targets enthusiasts. The whole point of early access is just an open beta to enthusiasts. If they released with these specs in 12 months it’d be pretty reasonable. Enthusiasts are expected to have better hardware.

At the end of the day, I’m going to boot up KSP2 on Day 1 on my wheezing 5yo 1080 Laptop, fly to Minmus on a ship with 20 parts that will not cause any meaningful performance drop, I’ll fill out an EA questionnaire to “do my part”, and I’ll put it down till science/career/resources are released, at which point I’m 6 months more likely to have replaced my computer. No problem. I think 90% of mid-range KSP players are going to do exactly that.

52 minutes ago, SolarAdmiral said:

That's a laptop that came out 2 years after KSP1. So we should compare to the performance of KSP2 on a crappy work laptop from 2025.

I don't think that a crappy work laptop in 2025 will have an RTX 2060...

29 minutes ago, zeekzeek22 said:

1. Something like 90% of people who paid for KSP1 never landed on Mun. Which means 90% of people who will drop money on KSP2 will not have the persistence to get to the point of 500 part colony fleets. The 10% that do, will likely be just fine.

2. They are designing this game for approachable specs at 1.0. The bell curve of “what do you have under the hood” will shift between now and 1.0.

3. Early access targets enthusiasts. The whole point of early access is just an open beta to enthusiasts. If they released with these specs in 12 months it’d be pretty reasonable. Enthusiasts are expected to have better hardware.

At the end of the day, I’m going to boot up KSP2 on Day 1 on my wheezing 5yo 1080 Laptop, fly to Minmus on a ship with 20 parts that will not cause any meaningful performance drop, I’ll fill out an EA questionnaire to “do my part”, and I’ll put it down till science/career/resources are released, at which point I’m 6 months more likely to have replaced my computer. No problem. I think 90% of mid-range KSP players are going to do exactly that.

that is what ksp 2 wants to address, and has been beaten so much the meat of the horse is unusable for even sausage and has to be processed into spam like consistency.  its not forgotten

it shouldn't need a high end pc in overall specs for what we see.. its not forgotten, we are literally talking about it right now

early access is for information gathering to help progress the game better and a small bit for the money. not for "enthusiasts with enthusiast" hardware... i can bet 2 crashes directly onto the runway, that most of the buyers will be completely under the "minimal requirements" or just at it in some fashion compared to the people that really have "enthusiast" hardware.. easily in a 10/1 fashion..

People want to play ksp 2 now due to how old the OG one is, and they want something better, not a blow 550$ for the minimal settings, and for recommended setting that much plus more on the gpu alone

if they released the specs 1 year ago it be even worse due to the 3080 being "top of the line enthusiast gpu" without being a cash out for i got "xyz gpu". and the 2060 would still be considered a higher end mid range GPU.

7 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

the 2060 would still be considered a higher end mid range GPU.

I would call the 2060 a low mid-range GPU. The 2070 is the high mid-range GPU. 

If the 2060 was a higher mid-range GPU, the 2050 would be a mid-range card too, but it's not, it's a high low-end card. 

And that's not taking into account the supers or Ti's.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I would call the 2060 a low mid-range GPU. The 2070 is the high mid-range GPU. 

If the 2060 was a higher mid-range GPU, the 2050 would be a mid-range card too, but it's not, it's a high low-end card. 

And that's not taking into account the supers or Ti's.

i really hate the supers, i can understand the ti's but god the supers. first gen rtx was a mess overall

Just now, Stephensan said:

i really hate the supers, i can understand the ti's but god the supers. first gen rtx was a mess overall

Tell me about it. They launched like 40 cards in one generation.

GTX 16s
RTX 20s
RTX 20 supers

I'm honestly surprised they didn't launch Ti Supers.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

To be fair - this is PC gaming. 

Folks need to move on from their 5 year old GPUs at some point. 

And... To be fair to the devs - if the recommended game spec was a Nvidia 1070 - we'd all be losing our minds asking "what the hell have they been doing these last 3 years?!?" 

Fact is its not their fault that Covid + China + AMD and Nvidia reaping huge profits off the card 'shortage' (which set the new floor for pricing) made the cost of cards abjectly ridonkulous. 

So, yeah - them saying the recommended spec is last Gen's upper tier (but not enthusiast class) card is right on the money 

This, also PC and console games are linked as most games are multi platform and most games can run on PS 4 who GPU is around GTX 1650 or AMD RX 570  in real fps who is crappy old cards.
But it was the standard, then we got current gen consoles but they has been hard to get, chip shortages, an wish to maximize sales  and the fact that doubling your GPU requirement does not make an game look twice as good has held back performance requirement increases for years.
PS 5 is more like an RTX 3080 or RX 7900 XT and close to KSP 2 recommended specifications. 

4 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

This, also PC and console games are linked as most games are multi platform and most games can run on PS 4 who GPU is around GTX 1650 or AMD RX 570  in real fps who is crappy old cards.
But it was the standard, then we got current gen consoles but they has been hard to get, chip shortages, an wish to maximize sales  and the fact that doubling your GPU requirement does not make an game look twice as good has held back performance requirement increases for years.
PS 5 is more like an RTX 3080 or RX 7900 XT and close to KSP 2 recommended specifications. 

And they are targeting current gen consoles for release after PC hits 1.0, so makes sense that they would require the same or slightly worse specs. 

1 hour ago, zeekzeek22 said:

This is correct, however if I sell an game who includes large scale raids I have to base system specifications on that, even if most players don't raid as its an selling feature in the game. 
Interstellar is similar in KSP 2, most players will not do it but you have to base the specifications around it. 
I say we wait an week :) 

22 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Tell me about it. They launched like 40 cards in one generation.

GTX 16s
RTX 20s
RTX 20 supers

I'm honestly surprised they didn't launch Ti Supers.

i can just see RTX 2060 Ti Super MAX, Laptop 

10 minutes ago, Stephensan said:

i can just see RTX 2060 Ti Super MAX, Laptop 

Oh boy, I just remembered, the 16s got supers too... ugh. That's a long line up for an entire single generation... 

Spoiler

GTX:
1650 Super
1660 Super
1660 Ti

RTX:
2060 6GB
2060 12GB
2060 Super
2070 Super
2080 Super
2080 TI
Titan RTX

All that in a single generation... And this doesn't even include the laptop variants... 

I've been reading both here and the reddit, and I've got to say that the hype is off the charts.

As you can clearly see, the commenting metrics are indicating strong customer engagement. Our test subjects fitted with blood pressure and heart rate monitors are indicating heightened levels of excitement. Emotional language analysis of customer posts indicate optimal customer engagement. Customers are so excited by the product that many are planning to build or upgrade their PC to the tune of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

This will surely be great success.