will ksp 2 have linux support?

toric5

Given my dislike of Windows, and the fact that Apple is constantly being rumored to switch to ARM CPUs in their Macs... I feel like the days of Hackintoshes may be numbered. I currently run a Hackintosh, as I much prefer using Mac OS for everyday use. Should Apple make the switch to ARM someday, I will definitely favor Linux as my primary OS over Windows, so Linux support (and by extension, Mac OS support, as that's what I currently use) are very important to me. 

Edited by richfiles

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

We have no announcements for these platforms at this time, but we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many players as we can.

From the master announcement post.

Edited by Abyliviorn

Hey everyone, I'm not a frequent forum poster, but I'd like to say that I've spent 950+ hours on KSP on a Mac (I know), and so have a lot of my friends on Linux and their Macs. KSP is an amazing game made for logical minds who seek to build things... like say developers and hackers, most of whom either run Macs or Linux, instead of say a certain operating system named after a component of architecture by a company called Micro... something something.

It would be deeply disappointing for me if KSP 2 supported that OS and Consoles before it ever supported the hard core devs and fans who use Linux and Mac to bring the joy of KSP to the masses. Without these developers and their subsequent modding (looking at you LinuxGuruGamer), we wouldn't have the sheer depth in KSP 1 that we have, and it would have been a flash in the pan that came and went just like that. Their efforts added years to the viability of the game and the fact that our platforms aren't being supported is a disappointment.

Making a game cross-platform from the start is really hard, but you folks are supporting two different types of consoles - would it be that much of an ask to help target your original fans who have produced hundreds of hours of content for your game for free?

+1 MacOS support. It would be unwise to drop linux and macOS support for the 2nd game while the original one supports. 

Ksp is the game I play mostly on my iMac also I capture my gameplay via screenflow and upload to YouTube. I need to play this game but definitely don’t want to do it on Windows. Yikes..

Edited by ondert

7 hours ago, richfiles said:

Given my dislike of Windows, and the fact that Apple is constantly being rumored to switch to ARM CPUs in their Macs... I feel like the days of Hackintoshes may be numbered. I currently run a Hackintosh, as I much prefer using Mac OS for everyday use. Should Apple make the switch to ARM someday, I will definitely favor Linux as my primary OS over Windows, so Linux support (and by extension, Mac OS support, as that's what I currently use) are very important to me. 

Apple switching to ARM? well that would not be the first time, 680x0 to Powerpc, then x86. 

Main question is probably the engine used for KSP2 and that it support. Interestlingly elder scroll online is PC, PS4, One and Mac but not linux.

As long as it is published on Steam, this shouldn't be an issue. Steam on Linux can run most any Windows-only game nowadays due to this new Proton thing. (But yes, I too will be a bit disappointed if it's launched without native Linux support.)

5 hours ago, Presari said:

As long as it is published on Steam, this shouldn't be an issue. Steam on Linux can run most any Windows-only game nowadays due to this new Proton thing. (But yes, I too will be a bit disappointed if it's launched without native Linux support.)

This is true, and even if its not on Steam, you would probably be able to get it running via Lutris. Most times it "works" but not without problems. KSP could decide to give official proton support, to fix those problems, but its always better to have a native Linux version.

Being a windows user I can't give an official answer but same with the mac OS I commented on. If you have Steam on Linux it will probably be available

Later research: The only confirmed version will be for windows but hints for other versions are on Steam

Some say (see other threads) "Buy Windows", but it's not even an option. My system runs Linux for other purposes and (also) stays on 24h/day. I can't just install Windows on top of it. I would have to buy a separate computer for KSP, not even considering the "real estate" aspect: where would I put it in my already too crowded room... that's becoming a lot of investment for a game, investment that I wouldn't consider (on top of having to deal with Windows 10 at home, when I already have to suffer it at work).

Regarding running it over Proton: yeah, that's a secondary choice. Some games do run well under Proton, but that's always a gamble: it may or may not work for your specific configuration. Then, you learn to fear updates: I have a few games that used to work, and no longer work after an update (not even considering the Proton updates, or the graphics driver updates – even though *that* hasn't been an issue for me so far). No official Linux support means that you've bought a game that may work now and may not work in 3 months, and there's nothing you can say because "Linux is not supported". From my side, I wouldn't buy such games (anymore) unless they have a long-time record of being gold/platinum on protondb.com and then, at a significant discount so that I am not too disappointed if/when they stop working.

As @Dr. Boo says, if that were the case (that there is no Linux support in the plans) I still have the possibility to stick to KSP 1 in the meantime, though I anticipate that modder support will drop significantly once KSP2 is out.

It's the consequence of my choice (using Linux), so "so be it". At the moment, the worst is that I need to resist the hype in order to avoid being too disappointed, so I probably will do like for other games not committing to Linux: just follow from afar until I hear "Linux support confirmed".

On 8/20/2019 at 4:08 AM, aceveset said:

+1 for MacOS support. I don't have a PC.

But you could run Windows using Campfire if you like... As a last resort. But I don't say, you should. ;)

On 8/20/2019 at 8:00 AM, ondert said:

+1 MacOS support. It would be unwise to drop linux and macOS support for the 2nd game while the original one supports. 

Ksp is the game I play mostly on my iMac also I capture my gameplay via screenflow and upload to YouTube. I need to play this game but definitely don’t want to do it on Windows. Yikes..

"Unwise".... I think, that's a question of money, sales and maybe some technical considerations. But I hope, they consider, what the community wants, too.

Would love, to see the gaming running on Linux. :-)
Windows is no option for me either and Proton is kind of a lottery.

10 hours ago, Dr. Boo said:

I don't mind $60 but if they leave Linux, I will stay with KSP1.73 no matter.

Development on KSP 1.x.x isn't being stopped.  1.7.3 isn't the last version of KSP 1. 

‘PC’ doesn’t mean ‘Windows computer’. It means ‘personal computer’. If KSP2 only supports Windows, then they should have specified - instead, they just said it was for PCs. I’d assume that covers Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

Plus, why would they exclude Mac and Linux users from playing KSP2? A lot of KSP players use those platforms, and I reckon a lot of them want to play KSP2. From the perspective of making money, it would be in Private Division/Star Theory’s best interests to ensure that the new game works on all of the platforms that the old one does.

Edited by RealKerbal3x