Will KSP2 have MacOS support at launch?

I wish they'd give us a clearer answer about this. 

Hopefully the answer will be
-Of course there will be a mac version launching at the same time as the windows version, and we will fully support the mac into the foreseeable future.

27 minutes ago, xjames said:

I wish they'd give us a clearer answer about this. 

Hopefully the answer will be
-Of course there will be a mac version launching at the same time as the windows version, and we will fully support the mac into the foreseeable future.

You forgot to add "because we always have, and why would we stop now?  As we tweeted 'we are always looking at ways to bring KSP to as many player as we can!'"

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Also Linux. KSP is a game for nerds. Only nerds have Linux. Therefore, Linux users play KSP. Therefore I cannot buy KSP 2 until support for Linux and MacOS comes out.

Apple released today the new 16 inch macbook pro, replacing the 15 inch models.

I'd love to get me one to replace my ageing 2013 MBP... as long as KSP2 comes out for the mac. C'mon Star Theory, can't you give us some info on the matter?

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

I'm a huge PC snob and an avid Apple hater, but MacOS support should absolutely be a priority. More people would be able to buy the game and contribute to the community that way, and more Mac people will be joining the forums so I can bully educate them about their OS preferences.

Edited by Kernel Kraken

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I'm a huge PC snob and an avid Apple hater, but MacOS support should absolutely be a priority.

That would be easier said than done. Since Apple is moving their product range to their new processor. The software will have to be ported to match their new hardware at some point in the future. They won't keep their Rosetta translation layer updated and active forever.

On 5/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, shdwlrd said:

That would be easier said than done. Since Apple is moving their product range to their new processor. The software will have to be ported to match their new hardware at some point in the future. They won't keep their Rosetta translation layer updated and active forever.

Yeah so screw MacOS and let the penguins (Linux) have it. They'll probably end up finding most of the issues and fixing them for us Windows users despite never touching the OS. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 9:44 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Yeah so screw MacOS and let the penguins (Linux) have it. They'll probably end up finding most of the issues and fixing them for us Windows users despite never touching the OS. 

A super minimal Linux with just enough support to run the game could be run as a Mac VM with about as much overhead of a sandboxed Mac app.

Could make that run Windows as well.... I'm sure small native wrapper app and they wouldn't even know 

Although that might not allow  M1 iPadPro as well  as there are a lot of players to target. 

1 minute ago, mattinoz said:

A super minimal Linux with just enough support to run the game could be run as a Mac VM with about as much overhead of a sandboxed Mac app.

Could make that run Windows as well.... I'm sure small native wrapper app and they wouldn't even know 

Although that might not allow  M1 iPadPro as well  as there are a lot of players to target. 

You can also just use bootcamp to run whatever OS you wanted.

Also playing KSP2 on an ipad sounds like absolute pain lel

On 5/13/2021 at 1:01 PM, shdwlrd said:

That is not entirely correct. Or even mostly incorrect, depending on how you look at it. There is quite a bit to unpack, though, so please, bear with me.

First of all, Intercept wouldn't need to port anything for the M1. It's up to Unity to make sure that their engine runs on that hardware. And Unity has been working with Apple even since before the official announcement, and by now do have a working Unity player version for OSX on M1. The caveat is that you do need to be on a fairly recent version of Unity to get that support. Normally, that would be a concern, but Intercept will have to have updated to a recent version to keep up with gen 9 consoles (PS5/XBSX), so I think they either already have M1 support or would only need a minor version bump to get it.

This does, however, still leave a number of loose threads. The biggest is Metal renderer. This is an issue regardless of whether you're going for the new M1 hardware or the previous generation of Macs. Apple has been dropping OpenGL support for a while, and Unity straight up does not support it any longer under OSX. So you have to make sure that your game compiles and runs with Metal shaders. This might require some amount of tech art work to make sure that materials they've built for the game are compatible with Metal. It is a non-trivial amount of work in a lot of cases, but quite manageable overall. Especially, if your game already runs on PS4/PS5, which have their own rendering library entirely distinct from DX12 used on Windows and XBox versions.

Generally speaking, if your game already runs on Windows and major consoles, you are in a good place for Metal and Vulkan, and that covers you with OSX and Linux. As a bonus, Unity takes care of differences in file system, audio interface, input, etc. So in most cases, if you've made a cross-platform games, adding OSX and Linux as extra targets is basically free. But...

But you do have some edge cases. And most crucially, you have bugs and potential crashes. Modern games are complex enough that just because you can run on PC and consoles without seeing bugs, doesn't mean there aren't any bugs, and they might manifest on other platforms and only on other platforms. Which means that adding additional targets is never free. You have to constantly be making builds for all the targets and having QA capacity to go through all of them and check each one for bugs.

tl;dr - Putting it all together, an OSX port would require Intercept to go to latest version of Unity, make sure all of their materials compile for Metal, and then add a lot of QA and support for OSX build of the game. But there is no special work needed for M1 specifically - that's taken care of by Unity.

On 6/17/2021 at 2:40 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

You can also just use bootcamp to run whatever OS you wanted.

Also playing KSP2 on an ipad sounds like absolute pain lel

Why would an iPad be pain. Add a game controller and you have a more control than a console and potentially more pixels.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:00 PM, Fiddlestyx said:

I need Linux/Mac OS support because with the way Windows is going I'm about to abandon it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

With Windows 11 (really just Windows 10 with a lick of paint as far as we know) around the corner 2 years after this message, I do also consider using Linux instead. Let's hope KSP 2 comes to Linux and Mac, lest we have to use dualboots or hackintoshes to play the game.

17 hours ago, mattinoz said:

Why would an iPad be pain. Add a game controller and you have a more control than a console and potentially more pixels.

Screen size? They go up to 17.3 inches, and my monitor is around 32 inches. So with everything going on, everything is going to get crushed into a tiny space.

Performance shouldn't be too much of an issue though because the M1 is a decent chip. 

It's just not something I'd like to spend time playing on lel

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2021 at 9:24 AM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Screen size? They go up to 17.3 inches, and my monitor is around 32 inches. So with everything going on, everything is going to get crushed into a tiny space.

Performance shouldn't be too much of an issue though because the M1 is a decent chip. 

It's just not something I'd like to spend time playing on lel

Yes but there are a lot of players already on 13 inch laptops and it's still fun and workable and might tempt players to larger screens. Plus the Newer iPads can drive a larger screen on USB-c. Would be great for multi-player to have portable devices that are playable even if not big screen joy.